Injury clouds Stewart's NSW Origin chances

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Brett Stewart admits an ongoing hamstring problem could cost him the No.1 NSW State of Origin jersey, but the Manly fullback is hopeful he'll be fit and fighting come June.

Stewart says the injury - which he aggravated during Sunday's win over Cronulla - has been lingering since before round one of this year's NRL season, affecting his preparations and on-field performance.

"It's been giving me a bit of grief," he said on Tuesday.

"I've been getting through the games but it's definitely not 100 per cent."

The troublesome hamstring has already forced Stewart to forfeit a spot on the NSW Country team for Sunday's match against City in Coffs Harbour.

Omission from the Blues squad could be next on the cards, with NSW officials understood to already be concerned about his fitness.

"(Origin's) obviously a few more weeks away, but I'm just trying to get on top of it," Stewart said.

"Hopefully it'll be alright.

"If it's not 100 per cent, then I won't be able to play.

"But obviously I have to get selected first."

While the 28-year-old wouldn't say whether he considered himself a frontrunner for the No.1 jersey, the chance to return to representative football is definitely on his mind.

Stewart has played at fullback seven times for NSW - four in 2007 and 2008 and in all three matches last year - and was named on the bench once for the final game of the 2008 series.

Kurt Gidley, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Dugan and Anthony Minichiello have filled the spot in Stewart's absence.

"I had a couple of years away from it and last year was my first year back and I thoroughly enjoyed it," he said.

"Sticky (then coach Ricky Stuart) put a lot of pride and passion back in the jersey. I'm not saying it wasn't there, but just a little bit more I think.

"I think Laurie (Daley)'s going to do a good job taking over from Sticky.

"It'll be good to be a part of this year."

Game one of the 2013 Origin series kicks off on June 5 at ANZ Stadium.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/injury-clouds-stewarts-nsw-origin-chances-20130416-2hxxa.html

^^^ agreed.
Snake, fake an injury, put yourself in cotton wool for a few weeks then come back for a stellar 2nd half of the comp running into the finals for Manly.

This explains why he seemed to be more hesitant then usual with his kick returns. Hope he gets it sorted sooner rather then later.

Agree, but that beautiful slide and run through to Hiku was awesome. Great he gets the week off as Hiku at fullback vs Souffs would have been a worry!! Maybe as we are top Tooves will look to sit him out in an "easier" match. Hammys that get worse end up 6 plus weeks. I know from my soccer days. Very crucial player!!

seems like our boys always have an 'injury' when rep games come along?
i think its great they put Manly first over rep games.
watmough did it for allstars, lyon has done it & now stewie! maybe matai too?

GO MANLY!

I'm sure his injury is genuine. Otherwise he would have been on the spot when Horo made that big bust. When was the last time we've made a bust up the middle without Snake suddenly appearing alongside?

Glenn said this week to state that he will not be fit enough for Origin.

Wish Choc pulled out, he is punishing his body even more this year.
We need you Choc on the 6th October :angel:

Our boys should make a stand and continue to pull out of Origin until they recognise the northern beaches as a state.

Love watching our guys play Origin, and it is a huge goal for them when they start playing footy so they should always keep playing it

1 of the highlights of the year for me last year was watching Brett go 50m off a Carney bust to score a crucial try

Our guys playing in SOO is the only reason I watch it. The only reason I support the Blues is because of our guys. Well....that and because it seems to piss all my mates off so badly. Why stop at club level ? lol

The only player in our side who has been the standout for SOO is Choc.
I know I'm gonna get hammered for this but I'd put Hayne at fullback.
Brett doesn't look right to me.

The Eagle Has Landed said:

As far as reasons go to get drunk - that's pretty light on.

Now I'm going to go get hammered for saying that.

:p

hic

edit: I don't mind our guys not playing rep footy. But I obv understand the reason they want to.

Darren said:
Hammys that get worse end up 6 plus weeks. I know from my soccer days.

You mean pretend hammy injuries? People that play soccer only pretend to get injured.

The Eagle Has Landed said:

There is no question that Choc has been a standout at Origin level. Aside from his debut back in 2005 he has been in the top 3 forwards for NSW in every game since.

But I am really proud of the performances that Stewart has put in for NSW. I'd be happy for Hayne to be picked ahead of Stewart but the only reason for that is because I'd rather that Stewart was playing for us.

A fully fit Brett Stewart is the best option for NSW at fullback. However, Brett is not fully fit and Doogs is taking pics of himself drinking Bacardi Breezes! That leaves Hayne. Hopefully he remembers how good he is and has a blinder.

Daddycool said:
That leaves Hayne. Hopefully he remembers how good he is and has a blinder.

He made some really good try saving efforts against The Cowboys and showed some blistering speed.

I love Snake but he looks underdone to me. And I want him playing for Manly injury free.

Napper said:
Darren said:
Hammys that get worse end up 6 plus weeks. I know from my soccer days.

You mean pretend hammy injuries? People that play soccer only pretend to get injured.

Yeah soccer players only pretend. Like this is pretending right?

Attachments

• 244603.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 8
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8