Information about our club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/09fb58a45ad7f35eb2e404a068739a86

The full and worrying extent of Manly’s troubles, on and off the field

MICHAEL CARAYANNISAugust 18, 2018 1:40pm
UNDERSTAFFED, under resourced and under fire.

The Manly Sea Eagles are reeling from yet another self-inflicted wound amid suggestions coach Trent Barrett resigned a month ago.

Now they are faced with an even tougher question: who would want to take control of the NRL’s worst club?

The Sunday Telegraph has uncovered startling figures that illustrate why Barrett reached breaking point leading a club playing out of the most dilapidated stadium in the NRL.

The once almighty Silvertails rank as one of the poorest clubs in the NRL.

Owner and chairman Scott Penn has poured more than $10 million of his own money into the club.

Serious concerns surround the club’s long term viability with their home crowd attendance slipping by 39 per cent in the past decade at Lottoland.

Manly are one of the lowest spending clubs in the NRL, confirming Barrett’s concerns that the club lacks the resources needed to compete with the competition’s big guns.

Club sources revealed that Manly spent just $13.7 million on their entire football department operations last year. That figure includes the $7 million spent on player contracts through the salary cap.

The total football club spend is about $5 million below some of the top spending clubs such as the Brisbane Broncos.

Manly sit alongside the Gold Coast Titans and Wests Tigers as the lowest spending clubs.

The NRL’s new $13 million club grant has been a saving grace for the Sea Eagles this year.

Requests for advances in grants from the NRL has been par for the course in recent seasons.

The football staff operate within demountables at Narrabeen where the number of staff is about three or four short compared to the rest of the NRL competition. Simple requests like club lunches or training camps that some clubs take for granted come with their own obstacles.

The biggest absence has been a head of recruitment, which has left the club with no long-term strategy to manage their player roster. There is also no chief operating officer since Neil Bare was banned for 12 months by the NRL for his role in the salary cap cheating in March.

The front office is not much better with a high level of turnover as the club operates on a shoestring budget. Most clubs employ about double the staff of the Sea Eagles.

They are still locked in a battle with the NRL regarding their salary cap punishment which included a $660,000 penalty applied to the club’s salary cap for this year and next year. A decision is expected by the end of this month.

Fans are also abandoning the Sea Eagles in their time of needed. The club has the second least amount of members in the NRL with just 12,000 — 2000 more than the least supported Titans. Rival Sydney clubs Parramatta (25,000) and South Sydney (29,000) have more than double the members of Manly.

Only once this year have more than 11,000 fans attended a home game at Lottoland with just 6382 turning up for their 6pm clash against the Titans on Friday night.

Their home crowds have been so poor that they will average less than 10,000 for the first time in 16 years at Brookvale, down 22.6 per cent on last year.

On the field, the situation is similarly dire.

After reaching 10 consecutive finals series from 2005 to 2014 the Sea Eagles will miss September action for the fourth time in five years.

With two weeks remaining they are in danger of “winning” the club’s first wooden spoon.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/09fb58a45ad7f35eb2e404a068739a86

The Manly Sea Eagles are reeling from yet another self-inflicted wound amid suggestions coach Trent Barrett resigned a month ago.

Now they are faced with an even tougher question: who would want to take control of the NRL’s worst club?

The Sunday Telegraph has uncovered startling figures that illustrate why Barrett reached breaking point leading a club playing out of the most dilapidated stadium in the NRL.

Owner and chairman Scott Penn has poured more than $10 million of his own money into the club.

Serious concerns surround the club’s long term viability with their home crowd attendance slipping by 39 per cent in the past decade at Lottoland.

Manly are one of the lowest spending clubs in the NRL, confirming Barrett’s concerns that the club lacks the resources needed to compete with the competition’s big guns.

Club sources revealed that Manly spent just $13.7 million on their entire football department operations last year. That figure includes the $7 million spent on player contracts through the salary cap.

The total football club spend is about $5 million below some of the top spending clubs such as the Brisbane Broncos.

Manly sit alongside the Gold Coast Titans and Wests Tigers as the lowest spending clubs.

The NRL’s new $13 million club grant has been a saving grace for the Sea Eagles this year.

Requests for advances in grants from the NRL has been par for the course in recent seasons.

The football staff operate within demountables at Narrabeen where the number of staff is about three or four short compared to the rest of the NRL competition. Simple requests like club lunches or training camps that some clubs take for granted come with their own obstacles.

The biggest absence has been a head of recruitment, which has left the club with no long-term strategy to manage their player roster. There is also no chief operating officer since Neil Bare was banned for 12 months by the NRL for his role in the salary cap cheating in March.

The front office is not much better with a high level of turnover as the club operates on a shoestring budget. Most clubs employ about double the staff of the Sea Eagles.

They are still locked in a battle with the NRL regarding their salary cap punishment which included a $660,000 penalty applied to the club’s salary cap for this year and next year. A decision is expected by the end of this month.

Fans are also abandoning the Sea Eagles in their time of needed. The club has the second least amount of members in the NRL with just 12,000 — 2000 more than the least supported Titans. Rival Sydney clubs Parramatta (25,000) and South Sydney (29,000) have more than double the members of Manly.

Only once this year have more than 11,000 fans attended a home game at Lottoland with just 6382 turning up for their 6pm clash against the Titans on Friday night.

Their home crowds have been so poor that they will average less than 10,000 for the first time in 16 years at Brookvale, down 22.6 per cent on last year.

After reaching 10 consecutive finals series from 2005 to 2014 the Sea Eagles will miss September action for the fourth time in five years.

With two weeks remaining they are in danger of “winning” the club’s first wooden spoon.

The truth hurts doesn’t it!!

Scott Penn this is aimed right at you buddy, either invest or bugger off!!

Apart from that
everything else is going well ....

Rothtool for once has it right and its good that the facts are out there about the state of our club.

The talk about our ground being re-developed has stopped and I am sure that the owners are playing the long game knowing that Greenturd has told them that we will be playing home games at the SFS when it is rebuilt.

The owners are frustrated that the football club prevents them from taking extra games away from Brookvale and when the NRL tell them what is going to happen the football club will be bypassed.

If there was only an effort from the club to come halfway with the football club and we can keep our destiny in our own hands. I just wish they would come clean about our future plans cause we fans and members need to hear from our owners about the plans for our future!!

Poor Manly. In the last 14 years only 11 semi final appearances, 4 grand finals, 2 premierships with basically the same facilities and finances they have now.

Meanwhile the last 14 years in the heartland of Rugby League, Parramatta zero Premierships, 2 spoons & Penrith zero Premierships, no grandfinal appearances.

Gold Coast and Newcastle would not be surviving if the NRL were not supporting them financially.

Bulldogs in a salary cap mess and will not be competitive for five years.

Surely the Manly club has to have the occasional down period.

If the team was winning like last year we would be hear none of this jibberish.

By the way, purely for everyone else reading this , I worked happily with the club from 2006-2013 the year I retired.

I never had a knockback for doing anything and worked very well with every CEO from Graham Lowe to David Perry.

With the clubs assistance we ran two very successful WCC tours and numerous MWTS events.

Whoever’s feeding him his information ( provably “ the leak “) is giving him some very wrong information.

I concluded my dealings with them after I ran the final MWTS tour with about 70 people to NZ in June 2013.

Never ever once was I “ knocked back” for anything!’

Isnt that another rehash of the same **** we have been reading for weeks. Manly are going thru interviews for the recruitment officer, we tried to get O'Sullivan we will hire someone when we find the right person. I agree we need more funds but what can we do? Dont have a leauges club and not situated in league heartland like parra . Hasn't stopped us being successful in the past.

By the way, purely for everyone else reading this , I worked happily with the club from 2006-2013 the year I retired.

I never had a knockback for doing anything and worked very well with every CEO from Graham Lowe to David Perry.

With the clubs assistance we ran two very successful WCC tours and numerous MWTS events.

Whoever’s feeding him his information ( provably “ the leak “) is giving him some very wrong information.

I concluded my dealings with them after I ran the final MWTS tour with about 70 people to NZ in June 2013.

Never ever once was I “ knocked back” for anything!’

Have never met you Mark but just going off what you have posted since i have been a member there's no need to explain anything to anyone.

Having been involved with the club during those years you would have memories and stories that would make most of us envious. But on the flip side the slide we are currently on would hurt you more because of that association in the past.

It's quite obvious the club is a basket case and it all lays at the feet of the owners plain and simple. They are the only ones that can fix it but like you i have almost zero faith that they have any care to do what is needed. As long as they can put up a team with the money given by the NRL that's job done for them.

Why does zorba hate you mark?

Zimbalist is a prize bell end. Pay no mind.

Sort of a long story but I was going to involve him in the clubs WCC tour in 2012 but David Perry sacked him and forbade me to use him in any way.

And that didn’t go down well as you would imagine and he blamed me for that decision.

He then did his own tour getting about 15 to go, we took 55.

We crossed paths at the Leeds official post match function and it was “ awkward”.

And I have of course been anti him on here ( not for those reasons) since!!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10