Improving the image of the game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
In my humble opinion, had Gallop wanted to improve the image of the game, after it was brought into disrepute apparently by them, instead of fining the clubs, he should force them to make a donation of that amount to a charity related to the act they have been breached for, or another charity of their choice.

Imagine if instead of taking $50k off each team that goes into some blackhole. He said that

"We believe these actions have reflected poorly on the game, as such we are fining each of the clubs involved, by making a donation on their behalf of $50,000 each to the following charities"

They could then put the money towards, junior development, starlight foundation, breast cancer research, stopping domestic abuse and so on.

That would generate a lot of positive PR for the game and the administration, punish the clubs but reward some other non-related 3rd party, it makes it a win win situation really.

If they learned how to think before acting the administration could handle these situations in a far better way and turn the attention into positive spin.

Dan

$50,000 should be spent on the Manly Warringah local Juniors.

These mysterious kiddies with the neurotic Mothers could be educated in the nuance of the great game of Rugby League.
One criteria for participation - supply the Computer Games the kiddies are allowed to play with 24/7! To guage the level of violence they can stomach.

As Melbourne is a manufactured News Ltd entity, I do not know what Juniors they could spend the $50,000 on.

If Gallop was really serious about improving the image of the game he'd make them all play in suits.

God said:
If Gallop was really serious about improving the image of the game he'd make them all play in suits.

Only the CEO needs to wear a suit. Especially in Nth QLD. :)

Maybe Gus was onto something making Jennings buy tickets and hand them out to fans.....is there a way the NRL could make Manly buy $50k of tickets and hand them out at games?

bhot said:
Maybe Gus was onto something making Jennings buy tickets and hand them out to fans.....is there a way the NRL could make Manly buy $50k of tickets and hand them out at games?

Yea this was a fantastic punishment. And the NRL should sanction something else like this. All that stuff improves the image of the game

All this "improving the image of the game" bollocks really doesn't sit well with me.
Fights, brawls, meelees, punchups, fisticuffs, swinging arms, cheap-shots etc have been part of the game for over 100 years.
If the argument of trying to win over Mums & whatever is their main cause, that means one thing.

They are trying to appeal to a wider market by watering down the product.

There is a term for that in the music industry.
Selling out.

Piss off you weak pricks. Don't sell my game out to the dumb mums.
My mum doesn't like all that "violence, blah, blah" but I still grew up playing the game.

Punch ups do far more advertising than mpney ever can.

Great post Dan, would be good to see the money put to good use such as breast cancer research or the star light foundation rather than the NRL coffers.

CW, I would prefer Rebecca Wilson be sent to some part of Afghanistan and embedded to a terrorist group (It sure fits in with her below mediocre journalistic skills and I'm sure she won't get any knock backs while there). Sadly it won't ever happen as there are no alcohol based incentive for her to consider. On the bright side if she did go, she could have a blast of a time practising her DUI driving skills.

Duff said:
All this "improving the image of the game" bollocks really doesn't sit well with me.
Fights, brawls, meelees, punchups, fisticuffs, swinging arms, cheap-shots etc have been part of the game for over 100 years.
If the argument of trying to win over Mums & whatever is their main cause, that means one thing.

They are trying to appeal to a wider market by watering down the product.

There is a term for that in the music industry.
Selling out.

Piss off you weak pricks. Don't sell my game out to the dumb mums.
My mum doesn't like all that "violence, blah, blah" but I still grew up playing the game.

Punch ups do far more advertising than mpney ever can.

Agree Duff. Gallop keeps going on about damaging the "brand". Now I'm no ad/marketing person by any stretch...but by all recent polls asking wether the punters(customers) liked it. The answer is a resounding YES. So therefore the brand is intact, and I would think that the customer is more than happy with the 'image".They are altering the original product to suit their misguided and hypocritical agendas.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8