Impatience

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Between the 55th and 70th minute we were very wasteful with the ball.  2-3 times we kicked on the 2nd tackle and turned the ball over.  We had the field position, we should have ground them down and at least tried for repeat sets. 

Perhaps this is the price we pay for inexperienced halves.  I trust they will learn from the experience.

As i mentioned in my topic Mata, was very disappointing. I can't blame the halves though, our senior, experienced guys should have done the job for me. They did half the job by getting us out of the initial hole, but didn't finish it

I thought it was overconfidence as much as anything that cost us. We took options one might take when the game was done and dusted, not in the balance.

I thought they showed some inexperience, in not taking control and settling things down. There was a point there where we should have actually been going for a repeat set rather than a miracle try.

But that's cause our halves are inexperienced, and they'll learn. Not the end of the world what happened, just a bit disapointing.

I was also very irritated with Lyon after Glenn sropped the ball in the 1st minute. Instead of tackling the Titans player, he raised his arms to the ref and stopped playing. Very unprofessional.

A lesson learnt, play to the whistle.  They did and won.  Why only 6 interchanges used when we looked tired towards the end?

If memory serves me correctly it wasn't the halves who managed to throw the ball away on each ocassion. I recall Lyon putting in a kick that went nowhere and Matai doing similar.

But yes, it was case of impatience and playing "catch up" footy when we were 10 points in front. Perhaps the boys though they deserved to be more than 10 up and that's why there were pushing things too much.

It wasn't Lyon, it was Farrar (& Matai) who put in the stupid kicks on early tackles but you are right it wasn't the halves. Just the same, I don't subscribe to wiping the halves of blame because they are inexeperienced. It is now over 25% of the way through the season and we can't afford for the same lack of organisation/control at the 3/4 mark of the season.
The halves need to work hard on asserting themselves when fatigue sets in late in the game. In the interim, the likes of Lyon, King, Glen Stewart, Kite, Ballin and Choc (who is the only one visibily doing it) need to pull their finger out and demonstrate their experience by visibily and vocally leading this team. No one's gonna do it for them and it isn't that bloody hard.

Bradza link said:
. . .  leading this team.
. . . it isn't that bloody hard.
Maybe it's harder than you think! Lyon (and King) are still growing into the captaincy, it's another aspect that will be stronger as the year wears on.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=Bradza link=topic=183177.msg261057#msg261057 date=1272328967]
Maybe it's harder than you think!

When you compete in sporting teams from your childhood onwards you have an appointed captain as leader but you also (usually) have a number of other players that talk it up on the field. By that I mean geeing others up to keep their mind on the key tasks or just providing emotional motivation. This tends to happen naturally with some people being more outgoing or the more experienced/skilful players handle it because they're more comfortable with handling their individual roles and also doing the extra talk. What they're actually yelling out is not that complicated it's just that it keeps the other players focused.

When I say "it isn't that bloody hard" I am expressing my frustration that grown men, many of whom have played over 100 first grade games don't appear (from my observations at the ground) to be able to manage what to me, is a straight forward additional responsibility.

I'm not actually out there so I may be off the mark with this but I believe it's contributing to our fade outs. Not only Lyon & King but also Glen Stewart, Kite, Perry & Ballin (for eg) need to be more animated with their team mates. Good teams have many leaders in various forms.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6