I'm impressed - not a 1 man team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The part that says the DCE contract is what has apparently destroyed our roster.

Let's look at some rough numbers. DCE is on 1.2 - 1.3 mill. Even though I think we are lucky to have him I can agree that he's probably more a £1 million max player. Thats only a difference of 1 - 2 minimum player wages out of 30 positions. players that may or may not even get a game in a regular season.

What has affected our cap are contracts for Jake - 900k , Marty - £800k and the fact we have no brown paper bags being passed about.

Jake as good as he is is no more than a £750k player. we paid overs to make sure Tom Signed.

Marty is a £550k player at best.

Looking at roster positions its amazing how many good sides have empty positions in their roster. Why? not to sign someone for 2 months at the end of the year that's for sure. Its because they are using that cash for their better players.

Penrith have 2 empty spaces as a point.
While I agree with basically everything you have said, the point I was making originally is that he has pushed for pay rises that have hurt the competitiveness of our squad, despite making his debut in a squad that were playing below their value to keep the team together.

I'm not saying that he was wrong to do it, but he has chased top dollar since literally the beginning of his First Grade career, and that has not helped our cap at all.

I fully agree that he is not the only player on top dollar in our squad nor the only one who is on more than they really should be for us to have enough spare to sign some decent players.

While I agree with basically everything you have said, the point I was making originally is that he has pushed for pay rises that have hurt the competitiveness of our squad, despite making his debut in a squad that were playing below their value to keep the team together.

I'm not saying that he was wrong to do it, but he has chased top dollar since literally the beginning of his First Grade career, and that has not helped our cap at all.

I fully agree that he is not the only player on top dollar in our squad nor the only one who is on ²more than they really should be for us to have enough spare to sign some decent players.
The guy won a premiership on 100k in his first year. Sure he had superstars around him but he deserved a pay rise.
I see DCE as the guy negative headlines follow and most of the time its not his fault.
QLD SOO side blackballed him. Regardless of what the golden 4 say there was something going on.
Manly binned him in favour of Foz. Foz does dirty and the ONLY reason DCE is on 1.2 million is the Manly board at the time. They offered the cash. They ****ed up. DCE wasn't wanted until Foz ****ed off so we had to pay. We could have Had the guy for 750k.
So many have a negative idea of the bloke. Why? I have no idea but the 2 times I filmed and interview with him he was nothing but super polite and articulate. Trust me when I say there arnt many NRL players I can say that
about.

So I have to disagree that he's always wanted and or chased a pay rise.

Could be wrong but was under the impression that D C E " s long term contract had a marque player allowance plus some T P A component [ or mostly ] . Then his contract value cap wise more closer to the one mil range Understandably contestable again if he has been worth it long term but obviously also just the reality how it has panned out . Still a big chunk of the cap but as has often been mentioned , about the same that he could expect from at least some other clubs at various stages . . Hopefully can be part again and figure largely in another Manly title before his time at the club is up .

All he needs to do on the footy field is give the youngsters the football .( Schuster ,Haumole ,Koula ,Saab ,Garrick etc . ) and we are on our way to the finals .Might get to the big dance and its anyone's game .He can just do the kicking and wait for golden point opportunities . Let's smash the Cowboys today .

He was on under $100k and there isn't a player anywhere who wouldn't be trying to negotiate an increase in that situation (correction, no player with a manager that is not unconscious).

Wanting a deserved upgrade is not the same as wanting "top dollar", there has never been any report that I know of that claimed he wanted top dollar. Merely a reasonable increase.

As per the 2nd article you link, Manly's cap was under massive pressure, which is natural because we had a champion team all on top money, some of whom took a reduction to help keep mates together, but they were still not on peanuts!!

He was on under $100k and there isn't a player anywhere who wouldn't be trying to negotiate an increase in that situation (correction, no player with a manager that is not unconscious).

Wanting a deserved upgrade is not the same as wanting "top dollar", there has never been any report that I know of that claimed he wanted top dollar. Merely a reasonable increase.

As per the 2nd article you link, Manly's cap was under massive pressure, which is natural because we had a champion team all on top money, some of whom took a reduction to help keep mates together, but they were still not on peanuts!!
Exactly mate......$100k & a Premiership. All he wanted was a reasonable increase which the club baulked at yet our team of superstars were on at least quadruple. Yes they took minor pay cuts but were still on a comfortable salary. He got treated like a leper cause he dared to ask for a pay rise. The club fu<ked up when they could have signed him for so much less & kept Foran who ended screwing the club & leaving. It was disappointing how he got treated.

Look I love dce.. think he’s worth the coin he’s on and wouldn’t swap him for any of the other sevens in the comp bar maybe Cleary…

But I was filthy when he threatened to leave after 1 year because “he” won a grand final ..

His management shopped him around before he signed with us and not 1 single club wanted him.. none of the Queensland clubs, no one..
He then debuted in a team that had Jamie Lyon, watmough, Brett and Glenn Stewart, a young foz, kitey, and a bunch of others..
he played well but he wasn’t integral to winning that comp…

I believe he should have honoured his first contract and pushed for the massive pay rise after it..
“But he was only on 100k”… that’s 100k more than any other club was willing to give him… I lost a heap of respect for him that year and it took awhile to get it back

If the club felt ( really the Penns) they did not get some kind of value out of DCE and if there were some hard feelings about the past….there is no way the club would have gone out of their way earlier in the year to further extend the so called life contract. They would have happily let him go to the dolphins. The sentiment was the they wanted him to be a single club player. This is not a sentiment you project on to someone you perceive as simply a money hungry mercenary…it’s rather the opposite….if the club had the same regard for Foran I suspect he would have been resigned earlier this year as well..

Not really that pertinent but pretty sure that D C E 's initial contract was 130 k a season for three seasons . Would only stand to reason one would think that any player in his position after the 01 title would have expected and asked for an upgrade then . Not sure what he was upgraded to then but thought that it was bumped up to 4- 500 k range . Bit unwarranted then if he was singled out for criticism for not being prepared to take unders or slightly under for his contract value after that point . Good intentions maybe for others to accept slightly less for camaraderie or whatever but not to be particularly critical of other players for a different priority .

Look I love dce.. think he’s worth the coin he’s on and wouldn’t swap him for any of the other sevens in the comp bar maybe Cleary…

But I was filthy when he threatened to leave after 1 year because “he” won a grand final ..

His management shopped him around before he signed with us and not 1 single club wanted him.. none of the Queensland clubs, no one..
He then debuted in a team that had Jamie Lyon, watmough, Brett and Glenn Stewart, a young foz, kitey, and a bunch of others..
he played well but he wasn’t integral to winning that comp…

I believe he should have honoured his first contract and pushed for the massive pay rise after it..
“But he was only on 100k”… that’s 100k more than any other club was willing to give him… I lost a heap of respect for him that year and it took awhile to get it back
No he wasn’t shopped around before he signed with Manly. The Broncos were very determined to get him but he was in the Manly system & when given an opportunity he signed. And yes he played a big role in us winning the Premiership that year. Check your facts before unloading on the guy!

No he wasn’t shopped around before he signed with Manly. The Broncos were very determined to get him but he was in the Manly system & when given an opportunity he signed. And yes he played a big role in us winning the Premiership that year. Check your facts before unloading on the guy!
I will try to find the article mate.. there was literally a full page spread on him before the 2011 grand final about how no one wanted him.. bennet said he was too small and passed on him.. I’m sure it’s there somewhere so settle down a bit

Back on topic. The side is learning to play without Turbo. Last year it was too easy to sit back and let Tommy take the game by throat. When that didn't work early this season we fell into the inevitable hole. I have seen a huge improvement in effort and intensity by the pack and if they can maintain that we compete with the best. DCE tries to do too much himself and I expect that is part of him trying to be seen to be earning his big salary. I'd like to see him play for us the way he plays origin for Queensland by giving the ball early and doing what he does brilliantly backing up through the middle.

I love how the media say the eels are heavyweights, the roosters are in form, manly is patchy and saints are basket cases. Take out the byes and the teams are basically all going about the same.
Should have added souths to this bunch.

If manly can win a few we'll rise above this group.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8