If Manly make the top 4 -> Daniel will donate $100 to a charity....how about you?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
If Manly make the top 4 -> Daniel will donate $100 to a charity....how about you?

Hi all,

I have been thinking of late that I would like to put some money towards a charity, but thought why just use my money when as a collective we can try to raise a higher amount and actually make a difference to a charity out there.

My charities are generally
The Salvation Army
and any that feed and shelter the homeless though I prefer non christian or religous charities but they are hard to find.

So Here is what I am putting forward

If Manly make the top 4 by seasons end I am going to put in $100 to a charity

What I am wondering is if anyone else wants to get on board with this and wants to either match, beat or donate under the same circumstance.

I wonder also whether we could get the club to match our total raised moneys as well.

Let me know some other charities you support and we will put it to a vote soon

I'm in.

Of course the temptation is to put up my own drought stricken charity for consideration. However, I'vbe heard of a home for orphans (?) and street kids in the Harboard area - I can't remember the name.

It would seem appropriate for the money to go to somewhere in the Manly area and kids like that are exactly the type of demographic that would benefit most.

Dan, I also see you $100 and raise it. If we win the PRemiership I suggest we raise the ante to $250.

Agreed. Winning the grandfinal will up my donation to $200

My daughter (15 years) read in the Herald at Christmas time that the average Aussie family eats over $500 in chocolate. Of her own volition she has chosen not to eat one bit of Choccy at all this year. If she gets to Christmas sticking to it, my family is going to donate $250 more to World Vision or Tear Fund.

Dan, it is a great idea to Sponsor a child with World Vision, Tear of Compassion. You get a real profile of someone you are supporting in the Third World and they are seeking to give them skills to take on life rather than just a handout.

Tear have a Really Useful Gift Catalogue at Christmas which allows you to buy a family a goat (they feed it, sell it and then buy another etc), a village a well, etc

Anglicare and Aussie based Charities like the Salvos are also good value.

World vision sounds like a good idea and I think sponsoring a child or a village would be great.

So is anyone going to get behind this too and throw in some money if Manly make the top 4?

How about you guys just tip the money into a charity regardless of Manly's results.

I donate at least $200 to Camp Quality every year.

CW, whilst I fully support your contribution to World Vision and the like, I believe we are better off helping Australian kids.

clontaago. I donate $200 each year to various charities. But this is a challenge to see if we can raise an amount, regardless I will put the money it but it would be good to get some drive behind it and see if we can raise a larger amount. It makes it gimmicky and likely to attract others

I donate $50 a week to the Fred Hollows foundation. No politics or religion there, just saving people's eyesight.

CW, whilst I fully support your contribution to World Vision and the like, I believe we are better off helping Australian kids.
I think it is important Doug to support both home and away. Parts of the World have nothing and we in Australia have much. We support stuff here too - not going to mention who or what - we are each answerable to how generous we are - but in the light of the God Debate (and the comment above) it is incredible how much Charity in Australia is connected to Christian Groups. Take them away and many of the poor and dispossed would be so much more severely disadvantaged.

Mind you Christians don't have a mortgage on the all the charity - such as the very good example of Fred Hollows foundation.

My daughter (15 years) read in the Herald at Christmas time that the average Aussie family eats over $500 in chocolate. Of her own volition she has chosen not to eat one bit of Choccy at all this year. If she gets to Christmas sticking to it, my family is going to donate $250 more to World Vision or Tear Fund.

Dan, it is a great idea to Sponsor a child with World Vision, Tear of Compassion. You get a real profile of someone you are supporting in the Third World and they are seeking to give them skills to take on life rather than just a handout.

Tear have a Really Useful Gift Catalogue at Christmas which allows you to buy a family a goat (they feed it, sell it and then buy another etc), a village a well, etc

Anglicare and Aussie based Charities like the Salvos are also good value.

while not discounting the job World Vision does- alot of that money does go into administration etc. so I just give to the local Rotary groups who go over off their own back and help with building schools/ medicals centres etc.- that way you know every cent you give gets to where it is meant to.

We are missing the point here people.

I dont really mind who you donate to, how often and how much.

In this case I want both suggestions on who to donate to and offers to donate more if Manly make the top 4

Well if we donate to the Fred Hollows foundation maybe they could fix the eyesight of a few refs for us!!

Childrens hospital at Westmead would be a good cause.

RSPCA, WIRES or WWF.

That's more where I'd go.

Great idea Dan.

I thought you woulod have suggested a save "Schapelle Corby" Fund :)

Not me Byso. We've been through this before. Thet sign belonged to the bloke with the "Unleash the Matai" sign. He's a mate of mine.

Thought you'd like to put your money towards the Liberals election campaign.

I prefer the thought that such a venture would see the money go directly to something very local to the Manly Club. This builds on the fact that Manly is a community club and is more likely to gain traction amongst fans and local media as a worthwhile initiative with a cohesive purpose.

(BTW Gronk, Hollows is buried in Bourke and was mates with a lot of my colleagues. I hate to prick the bubble, but no religion???????)

and will any of you join in and throw any cash behind it, besides matabele

We are missing the point here people.

I dont really mind who you donate to, how often and how much.

In this case I want both suggestions on who to donate to and offers to donate more if Manly make the top 4

Yep sorry mate I was getting off topic a bit there. I am up for donating dont get me wrong, but it would be conditional on which charity is eventually decided upon. I know that sounds a bit negative but there are some charities that I just wont give money to.

I see your point CW. As I said, im not against it, I think its great that you do it. I would never bag anyone for giving to any charity.

Oops also, my charity would either be Camp Quality or RSPCA.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4