Ideas on how we can beat Melbourne

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Yeah - I have been a tad pessamistic lately, so I thought I would counter that with a little proactive positive change.

I've thought of a few ideas (I know I'm no coach, but hey, this is a forum right):-

1. Swap Stehenson and Robertson around. A few times Bell made breaks, only to have Steppa not be able to match it with him pace wise. Robertsons speed could be a real asset next to him. Matai doesn't pass to his winger, which is perfect for Steppa, because all he realistically does is dummy 1/2 runs. That is a perfect combination with a centre that doesn't pass.

2. You would say that Bell will be called up to State of Origin honours. Therefore, I would bring in Willie Bishop @ fullback, and slot Chris Hicks into the centres, where he played quite well for Country. I like Willie Bishop for his X-factor, Benji Marshall style of play. He was certainly very strong under the high ball in the trial at Gosford this year as well. I haven't really seen him since then.

3. With our big lads out, I think we need to size up a little this week, and as we are playing Melbourne, we will also need to get more mobility in the team. Therefore, I would move Monaghan to 5/8, to partner Orford in the 1/2's. That would then leave the position of Hooker available for Matt Ballin. This would leave our full backline as follows:-

01. Willie Bishop
02. Michael Robertson
03. Chris Hicks
04. Steve Matai
05. Paul Stephenson
06. Michael Monaghan
07. Matt Orford

(Travis does well when our big forwards are in the team who are good laterally)
(I'd say either Gower / Gasnier OR Gower / Anasta will be SOO)

Then we come to the forwards:-

We absolutely looked as though we struggled with our mobility against The Broncos (Williamson sling shotting Lockyer to the try line comes to mind). Therefore, I would start with the following props, and I know this will be a little contraversial...

Mailangi Styles & Mark Bryant.

I personally think Bryant has been one of our best props, and was again against The Broncos. Styles is a smaller Danny Nutley type prop, but is a hell of a lot more mobile than say Cuthbertson or Rose.

As stated above, Ballin is a big lad, and can play 80 minutes if required, and with our big guns out, could help with having Monaghan on the park for 80 minutes.

You would have to say Beaver, and or coarse BK will be out when it comes to the backrow.

Again, I say go for size and mobility. Anthony Watmough would have to be the obvious first choice backrower. Enough said there. Regardless of what people say, he is a class back rower, and is a serious reason in my opinion, why we dropped off last year (him being out injured).

I would then pick Jason Wells, who is a big lad, and very mobile. He played 5/8 at times for The Bulldogs, and is quick, but also very rangey (in the Beaver type mould).

At lock, I would go for Glenn Stewart, and I believe he adds more than Luke Williamson. Stewart has the ability to offload, and has an element of X factor. Something Willow unfotunately totally lack in my opinion. That would then leave us a pretty healthy bench.

Shayne Dunley (obviously), George Rose, Luke Williamson & Adam Cuthbertson. Apart from Dunley, the 3 other players struggle (espescially laterally) in their mobility. That said, Des could inject them individually, and have only one or two lumberring players on at one time. The Broncos showed us what happens when you have more than that on the park at the same time.

One last thing with the team I picked. With the exception of Styles / Bryant, the rest of the starting 13 are 80 minute players if required, so we could potentially have little interchange, while having a strong (not dominant), but strong pack on the park.

Humorously agree on your first point, your other points are also valid.

What about Sione Alphabet as a bench option.? He's about 26, around the time props are suppose to peak physically and I'll reckon he'll grab the bull by the horns. He's got great impact. I heard he struggles laterally in defence as well but I would favour him over Rose.

Cuthbertson I believe needs more time in first grade, we should be blooding our youngsters well and truly before the finals. Should Ballin get selected I hope he convinces Des to persist with him when the side returns to full strength. Dunley provides too many negatives for the team.

Should Inglis, Geyer and King be out due to SOO selection and Slater still out the Storm backline will lose alot of their strike power. Our backline wil have some size and height on Melbounre's I think and we should utilise this. Turner is a midget and we should get whoever's marking him to leap high. Our backs will need to communicate alot better (Matai in particular) though, that has let us down significantly.

most important, who ever is out so be it! they too will missing a few.
forget the two losses and muscle up in the middle.
the storm have been the bench mark this year but they are beatable!
we are still just cruising at the moment and hope we hit top form toward the back end of the year.

Too many changes in 1 week Ryan, I think we would be smashed if all of them happened, but I agree with some.

Agree with swapping around Robertson and Steppa if Bell is playing.

I liked the look of Bishop in the trials I wondered how he had been going in PL, worth a shot.

Keep Burns where he is and leave Monas at hooker, he is playing his best footy there.

Styles is not first grade standard imo.

Bishop was playing for Belrose up until 2 weeks ago now some are ludicrously suggesting he should be NRL fullback. Very amusing. :)

That is my concern Nutz, Hecks would have been handy this week

Bishop was playing for Belrose up until 2 weeks ago now some are ludicrously suggesting he should be NRL fullback. Very amusing. :)

didnt know that, well that rules out that option.

Regardless that BK, Stewart, Beaver, Bell and Kite won't be playing - Melbourne are arguably just as disadvantaged as us, with no Slater, King, Inglis, Crocker or Johnson. There is no excuse for us not to win. Our best 5 are out, but so are theirs. Pretty even in my book. I expect us to come out and physically and intensively dominate from the first whistle. With Choc and Ox still running around, we still have more strikepower than them in my books. And it's at Brookie too.

Regardless that BK, Stewart, Beaver, Bell and Kite won't be playing - Melbourne are arguably just as disadvantaged as us, with no Slater, King, Inglis, Crocker or Johnson. There is no excuse for us not to win. Our best 5 are out, but so are theirs. Pretty even in my book. I expect us to come out and physically and intensively dominate from the first whistle. With Choc and Ox still running around, we still have more strikepower than them in my books. And it's at Brookie too.
Now thats a refreshing post. It may well sway my tips this week in our favour.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2