I wish Des was the coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As has been suggested often in the past, you dont need a good coach for SOO, you need a good motivator. The players are amongst the cream and know what they need to do and other than a few trick plays, a SOO coach has almost no time to effectively 'coach' a team. Otherwise we would be calling Meninga a champion coach, which his previous NRL coaching career suggests he is not. He wins because he has a bunch of very talented attacking players who've played alongside each other at various times for years. Therefore its who you choose in the SOO team that will determine if you win or lose....not the coaching.

For mine Daley has erred in several areas. You need the unpredictable attacking skills of a Carney to counter Thurston's brilliance. You also need an aggressive player in close who dictates play and has an excellent kicking game. That's why I would have picked the more dynamic pairing of Adam Reynolds and Carney. And I would have chosen Sutton as a reserve ahead of Josh Reynolds. I know Josh can play hooker and is an aggressive little cus, but in the past two years Sutton has reached his potential. He is a fine ball player, a hard runner, a strong defender and though he wouldnt be able to cover hooker, he would cover several other posts including being a back row forward. Josh doesnt have those skills as well defined. Yes you need touch and purposeful like Josh and Pearce, but you need that X factor that neither of those players have but Carney, Adam Reynolds and Sutton have. Its the X factor that is that ingredient that wins SOO games.

They Should of brought back the Beaver for game 1 2 and 3 the bloke is a legend and can play anywhere.

knows what origin is all about,

SOS to the Beaver.

As Bones indicated, Gidley/Reynolds is in effect a wasted bench spot. Origin is won firstly through go-forward props. Another monster coming on fresh does more for the campaign than a backup hooker could ever do. NSW has a good few monsters who have been left out.

A player like Bird or Gallen can cover 5/8th at a pinch, so fretting about injuries to playmakers is fretting about a non-issue.

Bearfax said:
… but you need that X factor that neither of those players have but Carney, Adam Reynolds and Sutton have. Its the X factor that is that ingredient that wins SOO games.
Josh Reynolds may not have X factor but he has plenty of Y factor.
Why, Laurie, oh why, why, why??

Kiwi Eagle said:
I couldn't ever describe Adam Reynolds as an x factor player

Haven't you ever watched X factor on the tv, I am sure Adam r would be good at something................anything............ Spare player in a tat competition?

I wish Des was coach too. So we can criticise the **** out of him when we get done again by the stinking toads.

QLD on paper and EXPERIENCE , should win hands down...

laurie thinks he has rewound 20 years and is a player having fun, i dont like ricky but i feel he has more desire to win.. all i see in the media is that the blues are smiling/laughing waiting for santa to give them their xmas presents !!!!

GET SERIOUS YOU HAVE LOST 7 SERIES !!

bird is a gutless fairy , who should not be playing the game period after his little situation years ago.

malony/peirce think they have the premiership for the roosters therefore they will NSW the origin.

Tamou is a cat !!!! but was able to jump on the storm band wagon straight after we knocked them out of the semis....

farrah is a girl.....

however NSW will win , because its rigged and the NRL want a exciting game 3 decider !!!

whos with me ??? whos against me ???

MANLY 2013

If NSW can get as close as they did last year with a complete knucklehead like Ricky Stewart coaching than they must be a show this year.

As a toad I am more worried about this series than any of the last seven.

panash said:

laurie thinks he has rewound 20 years and is a player having fun, i dont like ricky but i feel he has more desire to win.. all i see in the media is that the blues are smiling/laughing waiting for santa to give them their xmas presents !!!!

bird is a gutless fairy , who should not be playing the game period after his little situation years ago.

malony/peirce think they have the premiership for the roosters therefore they will NSW the origin.

Tamou is a cat !!!! but was able to jump on the storm band wagon straight after we knocked them out of the semis....

farrah is a girl.....

however NSW will win , because its rigged and the NRL want a exciting game 3 decider !!!

MANLY 2013

At least ya managed to get 2 of the players names right ;)

Kiwi Eagle said:
panash said:

farrah is a girl.....

MANLY 2013

At least ya managed to get 2 of the players names right ;)

does that really matter ???? it shows how much i care about those players :cool:

Why so negative on Daley? I rate Hasler and Bellamy as the 2 great coaches of the last 10 years (doesn't everyone), but Bellamys reign as SOO coach was an absolute disaster!! I think Des could probably do better, but Des is a real details person, wanting everything right, down to club details....this takes years and years to perfect. (how many years did it take Des to get us the Premiership? 5 years? Not 6 weeks.

Don't agree with Reynolds, as I think Bird and Lewis can cover, but I do think we have a great chance to win this year. The backs have a lot of points in them.

Hayne is proven at this level, he just needs to unleash. Ferguson can be rocks or diamonds, but he carved us up down that flank last week a couple of times. Josh Morris I didn't rate until he really handled GI last year, and Jennings is just so dangerous, if he gets a half chance his pace almost guarantees a try. And Brett Morris is a quality finisher.

Plus they all have fantastic pace.

Killer03 said:
Why so negative on Daley? I rate Hasler and Bellamy as the 2 great coaches of the last 10 years (doesn't everyone), but Bellamys reign as SOO coach was an absolute disaster!! I think Des could probably do better, but Des is a real details person, wanting everything right, down to club details....this takes years and years to perfect. (how many years did it take Des to get us the Premiership? 5 years? Not 6 weeks.

Don't agree with Reynolds, as I think Bird and Lewis can cover, but I do think we have a great chance to win this year. The backs have a lot of points in them.

Hayne is proven at this level, he just needs to unleash. Ferguson can be rocks or diamonds, but he carved us up down that flank last week a couple of times. Josh Morris I didn't rate until he really handled GI last year, and Jennings is just so dangerous, if he gets a half chance his pace almost guarantees a try. And Brett Morris is a quality finisher.

Plus they all have fantastic pace.

true... but they have

slater > hayne
cronk > pearce
thurston > maloney
smith > farah

lets not forget INGLIS !!!!! and i would guess that the present QLD team has more experience in these matches.

They should have started with Choc. IMO NSW best chances of victory rely on Choc and Lewis being the 2 of the best players on the park. They are the 2 who can cause QLD the most problems running the ball with their speed and footwork, and are the 2 most likely able to put pressure on Cronk and Thurston. If those 2 are allowed to play the game with all the time in the world, they'll win it easy. Choc & Lewis are our only 2 forwards capable of getting to the QLD halves. If they do it right and can pressure them, not necessarily into direct errors but just put them off their game it makes the Blues job a helluva lot easier. Hoffman will produce a Ben Creagh like game IMO, he runs the one channel all day. If he doesn't get served up the game on a platter, he won't go near it, I reckon he'll produce something like 8 runs for 38 metres and 18 tackles in probably 50 minutes of game time. I'll be delighted if I'm wrong, but he doesn't suit the way I think the Blues need to play. In terms of who to replace Gidley, I would have gone with 2 possible players, one is Tariq Sims. Unfortunately he hasn't been in tip top form, because if he was his selection would be a lock, but if all he might get is 10-15 minutes then I reckon he could cause enormous damage to QLD. The other player and this one is a bit more left field, is I'd go with Albert Kelly. I don't think there is a better running half in the comp atm. He is making line breaks for fun and him coming on late in halves could be just the player to break the game open. Its risky, but I'd go with it.

Must admit I'm pleasantly surprised, though as I expected it was NSWs forwards dominating the QLDS that won the game. Not sure QLD will come back so complacent though in the next 2 matches. Still think QLD will win the series.

Daley has showed 1 thing, he certainly knows the feel of the game, his use of the bench was spot on.

Also saw a few set plays which for basically a new team is a good start.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4