I think this could be a really good idea...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Before I say it, I want to say a few things that will make you see why I feel this could work:-

Most of think Chris Hicks was better in 04, when he was a centre. The reason for this is that he is pretty darned good with ball skills, and gave good disposal of the ball to both his outside winger, and his inside second rower. I have watched most of our games on DVD many times, and Chris Hicks is awesome when he comes in field, around opposition forwards (point in case being that try under the posts in that last game against Canberra). What would you guys think of a team like this:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Ashley Alberts
03. Steven Bell
04. Steve Matai
05. Paul Stephenson
06. Chris Hicks
07. Matt Orford
08. Kylie Leuleuai
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Kane Cleal
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Shayne Dunley
15. Brent Kite
16. Luke Williamson
17. Adam Cuthbertson

Now - a few reasons I put the team together like this.

In my opinion, moving Hicks from Centre to 5/8 would be a Darren Lockyer type move. Our entire backline would have pace to burn. He is a finesse player, and could cut through opposition forwards as upposed to having to run around / through centres as he does on the wing. Also, look at how Vagana goes at 5/8. I just think it would work.

Secondly, we all think that Alberts / Matai are both emerging / maturing players. It would be a shame to have either of those players out in my opinion. Therefore, why not have BOTH in the team. Both know how to make line breaks, both are aggressive, and with a bit of technique, I'm sure their defence can improve, as their aggression and attacking style in defence is already there.

Third - Look at that bench. A strength of a team is how effective a bench can be throughout a game. Dunley, Kite, Williamson & Cuthbertson isn't really a step backwards in my opinion. They will maintain a level of ruthlesness through the game when they are injected.

Next, I think Leuleuai & Kleal have that immediate aggression that can send shudders through opposition teams, and they rarely back down. That said, they are both prone to a fatigue factor, and having them on 1st up, means you can rest them through the middle part of the game when Kite & Cuthbertson come on in their stead.

With Hicks at 5/8, Monaghan can still be satisfied that he can have a ball playing role if required. Hicks is great out of Dummy 1/2, and can pass both sides of the ruck.

Paul Stephenson should be in the team on the wing, because I think he excelled both in attack & defence in that position toward the end of this year.

What do you think guys? It worked for The Sharks, it worked for The Broncos. Could Hicks be a quality 5/8, until Witt or Monaghan get more experience?

I am considerring that Jason King would have to come back through Premier League to prove himself - if nothing, because he has been injurred, and is still injurred apparently. So too Bryant, whilst a great player, may have to come through Premier League (although he has ALREADY proved himself). Rose will be pushing. These three players would be vying for Cuthbertson's spot, so I think that heaps of motivation for Cuthbo to consistently succeed.

I'd also like to point out that Monaghan should be under pressure from Ballin, and Premier League form will be a great test to whether Monaghan can retain his spot. This in my opinion, isn't a bad thing at all. Competiton for spots is what it's all about right?

The team I have listed in my opinion is very balanced & structured. Something I think Des Hasler's named teams haven't been for the past two years.

Anyways - what do you think?

Could Hicks be a quality 5/8 till Witt or Monas get more experience? Hicks has no experience in that role, the 2 mentioned do.

Changing from wing to 5/8 is a massive step. Hicks is no Lockyer!!!

He might look good there when he has a few touches but imo he would not cope being there on a permanent basis.

Cleal would not be my starting Prop based on 05 form. Kylie is a impact player IMO. Where is Byrant? He consistantly made metres in 05, had no brain explosions and always put in. Should be there.

You sure think alot Ryan, you name a different team every 2 days. I am just going to wait till the trials.

If we're starting with Cleal next year we're in all sorts of trouble.

Sorry Ryan, that YART is wooden spoon material.

Ryan , I'm also finding it difficult to keep up with your teams. You seem to be changing it every few days. I agree with your comments on Hicks , but I feel that he still has a lot of improvement in his game. I'm still very concerned about the defence of players like Stephenson , Matai & Alberts. If you've seen the games , I'm sure you've seen some of their efforts ( or lack of ). I also have to agree with Matabeles abovementioned comment regarding Kane Cleal. He is way below 1st grade standard & should not be considered for any part of our best 17 players. He is unfit , unskilled & undisciplined.

I agree with Chuckwood on Matai. He was diabolical in defence at times this year and also seems to have downed angry pills before every game.

Alberts over Matai imo, seems to have the abilty to break a game open. Cant see Matai doing the same!!!

Honestly - while it isnt the team i would pick I would be happy if Des did something like this.

At least it shows some imagination and proof of some thought.

1. Stewart
2. Stephenson
3. Bell
4. Hicks
5. Alberts
6. Witt
7. Orford (c)
8. Kite
9. Monaghan
10. Bryant
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

14. Dunley
15. King
16. Williamson
17. Leuluai

Ballin, Matai, Cuthbertson to push really hard for spots.

I'll put money on the fact that this is close to the team for 06.

1. Stewart
2. Stephenson
3. Bell
4. Hicks
5. Alberts
6. Witt
7. Orford (c)
8. Kite
9. Monaghan
10. Bryant
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

14. Dunley
15. King
16. Williamson
17. Leuluai

:clap: :clap:

1. Stewart
2. Stephenson
3. Bell
4. Hicks
5. Alberts
6. Witt
7. Orford (c)
8. Kite
9. Monaghan
10. Bryant
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

14. Dunley
15. King
16. Williamson
17. Leuluai

That's a good line-up Fonz, although I haven't seen Alberts on the wing . Robertson might get first shot with Matai/Alberts getting a combination happening in the Centres in Prem League.

With the calibre of Burns, Ballin, Styles, Cuthbo, Tutt, Matai, Alberts, Cleal, Rose, Wells in Premier League pushing for opportunities, our depth looks encouraging. :dance:

Cleal ;)

Yes Byso I did notice he hadn't put him in, but I think the side he's named is a pretty good one, and also very realistic. Even though Kane is working his butt off and training really well he still has to prove himself. He'll get there one day. Remember, I look with both eyes :D 8|

1. Stewart
2. Stephenson
3. Bell
4. Hicks
5. Alberts
6. Witt
7. Orford (c)
8. Kite
9. Monaghan
10. Bryant
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kennedy

14. Dunley
15. King
16. Williamson
17. Leuluai

I reckon this would be our strongest team. However, Hicks will probably play on the wing and Alberts or Matai will play centre.

I recon this will be close, but who the hell knows what dessie thinks sometimes
1. Brett Stewart
2. Michael Robertson / Paul Stephenson
3. Steve Bell
4. Steve Matai
5. Chris Hicks
6. Michael Monaghan (C)
7. Matt Orford
8. Jason King
9. Luke Williamson
10. Brent Kite
11. Steve Menzies
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Shane Dunley
15. Glenn Stewart
16. Kylie Leuluai
17.Ashley Alberts

18. Michael Witt

with p/l players pushing for spots.

Being a canberra boy and knowing a few raiders players ive heard a rumor that Michael Robertson was a bad trainer and that is why he spent alot of time in p/l. But ive also heard that matty elliott has hes favorites and Robbo wasnt one of them. :~?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4