I miss Stevie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Have patience lsz, we have good players coming through. As my good friend @Bearfax recently correctly opined, most players struggle a little when they come into first grade. But in players like Parker Funa and Suli we may (or may not!) be looking at future Manly stars, so enjoy their journey. I clearly recall Matai's debut (only watched it on tv at the Boatrowers Pub at Stockton) in a battling team and he looked energetic, at best. In fact for several years I recall him frequently being bagged by Manly fans, usually for being out of position in defence or ineffective in attack, or suspended. I also distinctly recall some journo asking Des a question that quite a few (including Manly fans) had been asking, namely, whether Matai's future might lie in the forwards.
Des replied in 4 words.
"Matai is a centre".
Which he proved conclusively to be correct!

Last edited:
He sure was and I miss Stevie too :inlove:

Just wish he'd bury whatever grievance he has, moves on and gets involved with Manly again. Snake has, and its beyond me why he can't too...
It might have more to do with just wanting to stay out of the spotlight rather than a specific grievance against the club. He was always a humble, quiet bloke. Maybe he's just enjoying life after footy.

Love the Matai. What a player. We've had some great centres play for this club but he is up there with the best. Once Beaver moved on he was easily my favourite player. So good.

Come back and get your life membership champion, you deserve it.

Matai was my fave. Unbelievably fearless player who wore his heart on his sleeve. Coincidentally, he has just moved into Pottsville, just around the corner from where I lived 6 months ago. Hopefully see him at the Potty Tavern one day to thank him for the enjoyment he gave me and many others over the years.

When I go to youtube to watch highlights of past players...

Matai is by far and away the one I watch the most.

I've even watched one "some American reacts to matai and taufua hits"

He was top shelf.

skip to about 1 min in.

And remember people ... Stevie was all Manly.

He made his debut for Manly. He played his entire career for Manly. He retired while at Manly.

It was from Manly that Matai became a bona fide New Zealand international, playing 10 tests and 2 non-test internationals for his country from 2006-2010, including being part of the 2008 World Cup winning squad.

It was at Manly that he became a two time NRL Premiership winner including playing in the team that has the record winning score in a Grand Final dating back to 1908.

It was with Manly that Matai won the World Club Championship.

We all remember the hits he produced. He's recently been voted by the fans as the hardest hitter in top grade rugby league for the past 30 years. Given the stick he received from opposition fans through his career, that's huge that he's been recognised that way by not just Manly fans. But he was more than that. In 231 games for the Sea Eagles between 2005 and 2016 (10th all time), he scored 91 tries which is 4th on our all time list behind only Snake, Beaver and Bozo. And I wouldn't even try to guess how many tries he set up for his team mates in that time. In a way its Beaver in opposite. Menzies was best known as a try scorer, but he was a top class defender. Matai was known as a hard hitting defender, but he was top class in attack. He wasn't blessed with Brett Stewart like pace, but his support play and ball skills were up there with the best of them.

Steve Matai is a Manly and NRL legend.

Last edited:
Always loved him. I think we should often remind ourselves of the high price some of our heroes have no doubt paid with their bodies. Given the way my old body can ache and pain having never made a tackle in my life, I worry that many, and Stevie in particular, are in pain all day every day. I really hope it's not the case.

If I ever had a man-crush it would be Shoulders or the guy I idolised growing up playing footy, Terry Randall...and I have the pains to prove it.
Igor will always be my favourite but I really hope that one day someone can show Skivy the respect he has obviously not been given and bring him home.
What an absolute MWSE champion he was.

Have patience lsz, we have good players coming through. As my good friend @Bearfax recently correctly opined, most players struggle a little when they come into first grade. But in players like Parker Funa and Suli we may (or may not!) be looking at future Manly stars, so enjoy their journey. I clearly recall Matai's debut (only watched it on tv at the Boatrowers Pub at Stockton) in a battling team and he looked energetic, at best. In fact for several years I recall him frequently being bagged by Manly fans, usually for being out of position in defence or ineffective in attack, or suspended. I also distinctly recall some journo asking Des a question that quite a few (including Manly fans) had been asking, namely, whether Matai's future might lie in the forwards.
Des replied in 4 words.
"Matai is a centre".
Which he proved conclusively to be correct!

Great pub the Boatrowers, get there when I can.

I think that bullsh*t with the police rocking up to his home to take his mobile phone when grimturd was doing the disgraceful Manly witch hunt soured him to the NRL and the club

Always was impressed with the way he used to back himself and competitive mindset . Even in his Manly debut against a strong Storm side at Brookvale in early 2005 or so and as a virtual unknown from the Ipswich comp , just a solid and steady effort . Great defense and fearless hitter [ but could get beaten occasionally by a good stepping opponent ] but also of course a smart and strong attacking centre with a good try strike rate as has already been mentioned . Pretty adept at setting up his winger too .Not to mention his high pain threshold Maybe not notable in the Manly sphere in recent times but regardless , what a great legacy to be remembered by .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4