I don't get it!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Corso_Pete

Bencher
Premium Member
Could someone please explain to me that when we receive a penalty within 10m of the tryline, we always either take teh ball back to the 10m line or kick it back to the 10m line. Then Ballin taps the ball, passes it onto a forward who inevitably gets tackled at the point at or near where the penalty was awarded.

It happended twice yesterday again. I wouldn't mind if we were putting on a rehearsed play or some other sort of trick shot but we don't, it just seems to be a waste of tackle to me.

ps: we will have have to improve at least 30% on recent exposed form to win on Friday and I am happy to wager that we will not score a try off the above scenario on Friday either should it eventuate.

Melbourne played an ordinary Dragons team on Friday and only won by two. They need to improve as well. In any case, after listening to Crusher on NRL on Fox last week I have no doubts in my mind that Manly will stand up when it counts. I'm not concerned in the slightest, just very excited about the finals. Can't wait for September footy.

its to gives our forwards room to try to bust straight through them once I guess

I can't remember the examples from yesterday, but the only advantage I can see is that when you kick for touch the ensuing tap kick is taken at 10m in from sideline. The orginal point may have been right up against the sideline, or in the middle of the field or something. Not sure it makes much difference though.

Very rarely are pet plays thrown up on the first tackle. We used to work specific angles with a certain spot on the field targeted as the fancy play starting point.

Tha aim was to pull defense one way or another or make a certain player tackle twice in THAT set so they would struggle to cover a 4th/5th ruck play aimed exactly at them.

Worked a treat when all us forwards remembered the play!!

Corso_Pete said:
Could someone please explain to me that when we receive a penalty within 10m of the tryline, we always either take teh ball back to the 10m line or kick it back to the 10m line. Then Ballin taps the ball, passes it onto a forward who inevitably gets tackled at the point at or near where the penalty was awarded.

It happended twice yesterday again. I wouldn't mind if we were putting on a rehearsed play or some other sort of trick shot but we don't, it just seems to be a waste of tackle to me.

ps: we will have have to improve at least 30% on recent exposed form to win on Friday and I am happy to wager that we will not score a try off the above scenario on Friday either should it eventuate.
Mate its pretty easy to work out,they are trying to get away from the defensive line.. you get tackled 3meters out the defense dnt then stand back 10mtrs they stand on the tryline which means they can converge on the dummy half pretty quickly, which inturns then pressures the whole attacking line..
Its called a lil bit of breathing space..

Chip and Chase is right, if its tight on the sideline the kick for touch opens the space up more

The example yesterday did not fit into either of those explanations (which are both valid). The penalty was given at least 10 metres out and there was no kick for touch. Ballin simply took the tap about 20m out (as he is allowed to) and the forward ran it up to the same spot where the penalty was given.

Corso_Pete said:

1. You are right. Every team does it and it's stupid. The practice has been covered by The Sunday Roast. I think it just underlines how 'programmed' many players/teams are.
2. Disagree. The quality of our match with the Dogs was higher than the Illawarra-Melbourne match. Dogs have a bigger pack than Melbourne, and we withstood them. We will muscle up and win. If we improve then we'll win by a greater margin.

Agree with the stupidity of it. I have seen the stupidity of it on the Sunday Roast well. It is better to have a guy like Georgie go head first and try to trample over the top. It worked wonders for me as a kid as I was bigge than all the other guys and we would so many tries of it.

In regards to kicking for touch. Is DCE the only guys who attempts to get the extra metres. All I see is guys gaining 20-30 metres. There was a kick from DCE that I am sure made 50 metres. As The Who said, they are all "programmed".

Maybe this is reason?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/choose-your-poison-stewart-threats-still-have-rivals-in-a-quandary-20110728-1i2d5.html

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8