I could come back to NRL, says Gower

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
I could come back to NRL, says Gower

Adrian Proszenko | March 30, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/i-could-come-back-gower/2008/03/29/1206207497330.html
Craig Gower has revealed he would consider a return to the NRL this season.

Gower is playing for French rugby union side Bayonne but could become available for an NRL stint when the Top 14 season finishes in June.

Although the former Penrith captain - who last season gained a release from the Panthers to sign a three-year deal with Bayonne reportedly worth $1.5 million - is committed to fulfilling his rugby obligations, he conceded a return to the 13-man code was a "slim" possibility.

"I'm under contract here and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if I consider it or not, it's up to [Bayonne]," Gower told The Sun-Herald from France.

"Our last game is on June 14, we have about four weeks off and then we go to training on July 15.

"At the moment, I'm concentrating on playing footy here. There's still 12 games to go."

Pressed if there was a chance of returning to the NRL at some stage, Gower said: "You never say never to anything.

"I've got a two-year contract [align=left] here and if something happens back home [in the NRL] after that, or in England, I'll look at that as well.

"I always look at all my options."

South Sydney are yet to settle on a halves combination after Craig Wing's injury, while other clubs could look to the experienced playmaker should their current squad be affected by form or injuries.

Gower has already been linked to the Bulldogs, who are cashed-up following the departure of long-time No.7 Brent Sherwin to English Super League club Castleford.

However, the former Test halfback said an approach to his manager, Greg Willett, had been very unofficial.

"I haven't spoken to anyone at the Dogs," Gower said. "Greg said the other day that someone had spoken to him, but not a manager or anything like that."

Willett said a league comeback was a possibility but that it could require an NRL club paying Bayonne compensation to allow Gower to return late to pre-season training.

"Anything's a possibility but no [NRL club] has spoken to us about it," he said.

The 29-year-old is also eligible to represent Italy because of his grandfather's citizenship and has flirted with the possibility of playing for the country next season.

I think its definatly worth a shot. He's a great player and I think the club culture could be enough to clean up his off-field behaviour.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6