Howards League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
former PM John Howard has been approached to head the independent commission that will run the NRL, ARL, QRL, NSWRL and CRL.

The commission is mooted to reslove the games complicated ownership bring everyone under the one umbrella.

LINK

Mr Gallop would remain as the NRL chief executive and still wield the day-to-day power.

ONLY IF WE GET RID OF HIM 1st

Why bother with this old fascist.  Just another way for Gallop to stuff the game up. 

At least Byso & Tookey will be happy there hero is back in the news.  he can do for the NRL's reputation the same he did for Australia's international reputation when he sided with George Bush

I guess the dragons can't win a premiership on their own so they need to put their number one ticket holder in charge of the place to have a chance. 

At least when he says things like Manly will "never ever" have to merge, we can trust him.  His word is golden on things like that. 

This has nothing to do with Gallop. This is a push by Searle from the Titans, who in my opinion are in danger of becoming the new broncos and factionalising the competition again if they dont do things correctly.

However I am glad that someone is making some kind of push. I just think the Titans are too new to be doing it

The Wheel link said:
At least Byso & Tookey will be happy there hero is back in the news.  he can do for the NRL's reputation the same he did for Australia's international reputation when he sided with George Bush

Why can't ex-prime ministers just go away and die quietly once they leave office?

I suppose at least he can't make the NRL's reputation any worse than it already is under Gallop.

I would have thought that Kim Beasley would have been a better choice.  He looks more of a NRL fan than howard.  Especially seeing him sitting on the hill at Brookie eating a meat pie with pie dribbling down his chin and tomato sauce down the front of his shirt.

Or even Mark Latham.  Latham would be great at mad monday with every club.  Get thrown out of pubs and then break a taxi drivers arm on the way home.  Better still make him CEO of the roosters

Then again I am surprised that they didn't choose malcolm Turnbull.  Afterall he isn't doing anything useful at the moment.

The Gronk link said:
Beazley is a bit busy being our ambassador the the USA

He will fit in well in the land of the all you can eat breakfast, lunch and dinners.

Howard....
NO.
Why?
He is divisive. about 1/3 of the population actively despise him and another 10 % dont like him much. That group comprises the unions and rusted on labor - who in Sydney and QLD are Leagies.  The rest of that group are the Greens and Latte left who are flocking to AFL and Soccer and who we need back because of their cultural capital.

He is despised by the indigenous community and the Arabic community - one league heartland and the other the only migrants bar pacific islanders who have taken up the sport.

Young women and feminist middle aged middle class women also dislike him. He would cement the negative stereotype of pre modern masculinity that the game already suffers from.

He has no sporting administration track record.

They need to do the other stuff - get rid of News Limited and finally end the Super league debacle and set up the Board and then appoint a savvy business woman or man  - Gail Kelly etc.

Someone politically neutral with a track record in governance, finance and admin.  A CEO in fact.

So Howard should not be the person and not just because I cant stand him.

Again the NRL demonstrate zero political acumen.

DSM5 link said:
Howard....
NO.
Why?
He is divisive. about 1/3 of the population actively despise him and another 10 % dont like him much. That group comprises the unions and rusted on labor - who in Sydney and QLD are Leagies.  The rest of that group are the Greens and Latte left who are flocking to AFL and Soccer and who we need back because of their cultural capital.

He is despised by the indigenous community and the Arabic community - one league heartland and the other the only migrants bar pacific islanders who have taken up the sport.

Young women and feminist middle aged middle class women also dislike him. He would cement the negative stereotype of pre modern masculinity that the game already suffers from.

They need to do the other stuff - get rid of News Limited and finally end the Super league debacle and set up the Board and then appoint a savvy business woman or man  - Gail Kelly etc.

Someone politically neutral with a track record in governance, finance and admin.  A CEO in fact.

Very well said.

What's going on around here, we are all starting to agree with you.

Dan link said:
This has nothing to do with Gallop. This is a push by Searle from the Titans, who in my opinion are in danger of becoming the new broncos and factionalising the competition again if they dont do things correctly.

However I am glad that someone is making some kind of push. I just think the Titans are too new to be doing it
nah dan
unlike the broncos who were all about brisbane searle is all about RL.

To be honest he should resign from the Coast and do it himself.

Greenberg and Searle are the best two in the business.

Just heard on the two o'clock news that Beetson, Lewis and others are starting to come out and bag the idea of Howard being some sort of Kingman in the RL.  I'd hope that our very own small s svengali, Vidmar, would put my views to our Manly bosses. 

clontaago link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=181870.msg244026#msg244026 date=1254871415]
Howard....
NO.
Why?

Very well said.

What's going on around here, we are all starting to agree with you.
[/quote]

There is a reason for that Clon, he isn't discussing on the park matters :p

Howard is a grub. I understand that this is tautology when referring to politicians, however he is a particularly slimey example. Him and Gallop would get on famously, we could rename the NRL "Dumb and Dumber".

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6