Howard's economic cock-up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man

In case we needed any proof that Howard's tax-cuts to the wealthy strategy has widened the gap between rich and poor:

Australia scores poorly in efforts to reduce poverty
Adele Horin
August 30, 2007

DESPITE its strong economy, Australia is falling behind many of the wealthy countries in eradicating poverty and making life fairer, a new report shows.

Increasing numbers of Australians fell into poverty in the decade until 2004 when one in 10 - or almost 2 million people - were living below an austere poverty line.

As well, Australia has some of the most expensive housing and worst dental health problems.

The report uses current data to compare Australia with other OECD countries on "10 essentials", including education and health. It was released yesterday by Australia Fair, a coalition that is campaigning for "a fair go for all".

It shows Australia is ranked 14th of 18 OECD countries on the UN Human Poverty Index, which combines income poverty, longevity, and literacy. The gap in life expectancy between the indigenous and the general populations is much greater here than in the United States, Canada and New Zealand. While unemployment is relatively low, workforce participation lags nine other countries, including Canada, New Zealand and Sweden.

Andrew Johnson, the executive director of the Australian Council of Social Service, said: "So many Australians in good economic times don't have access to decent education, housing, health and services. There are 600,000 low-income Australians on waiting lists for dental care."

The report, A Fair Go for All Australians, says Australia is in the peculiar situation of having strong economic growth "yet entrenched and continuing" social exclusion. Almost 2 million Australians in 2004, including 365,270 children, were living at or below the most austere poverty line used in international research: 50 per cent of median (middle) disposable income.

While Australia had the fourth-highest home ownership rate in the OECD, housing was now the most expensive in the English-speaking countries relative to income. Yet the supply of subsidised housing for people on low incomes was one of the lowest in the OECD.

The report said 22 of 30 OECD countries - but not Australia - had implemented strategies to reduce poverty. The Federal Government has maintained a strong economy and low unemployment constituted the best anti-poverty strategy. But Mr Johnson said a national anti-poverty plan to address problems from health to education was needed.

I also heard that Andrew Johns said that John Howard put the ectasy tablet into his pokcet.

No wonder, seeing as he has failed on his promise to mkae people relaxed and comfortable.

I thought Bob Hawke promised no child would be living in poverty. Just goes to show that Howard has reversed the golden age provided by Labor. :lie:
:p

But if we don't keep a ceratin amount of the population in ppverty then where will Parramatta get its future supporters from?

But if we don't keep a ceratin amount of the population in ppverty then where will Parramatta get its future supporters from?

nice one!! If Howard came out and said that even I would vote for him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4