How Immortal Bob Fulton's Manly side launched the NRL's coaching revolution

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
WHO would have thought 21 years later these blokes would be battling each other for the NRL minor premiership?

The top three sides - Manly, Canterbury and Penrith - are all coached by former Sea Eagles.

Read More

WHO would have thought 21 years later these blokes would be battling each other for the NRL minor premiership?

The top three sides - Manly, Canterbury and Penrith - are all coached by former Sea
epp-bob-fulton.jpg
Eagles.

Geoff Toovey (Manly), Des Hasler (Canterbury) and Ivan Cleary (Penrith) played together at Brookvale from 1992-93, with their clubs now equal on 26 competition points and hunting for the NRL minor premiership and a $100,000 reward.

"That (1993) was a time when Manly were starting another run," Hasler remembered of the days when he sported an old-school mullet. The Tooveys, Clearys, Menzies, Gartners and Kosefs were all starting to develop and come through."

Asked about the three former players who would go on to become great coaches, former Manly hooker David O'Donnell recalled: "Tooves was very determined, Des was very dedicated, Ivan put a lot of thought into his game.

"They are still showing the same qualities now as coaches as they did back then. Their success is well deserved. They were high achievers back then and still are."

Former Manly winger Jack Elsegood said the trio shared similar qualities.

"Hasler and Toovey were both very tenacious players," Elsegood said. "They were the ultimate competitors who demanded a lot from themselves.

"They have passed that on to their players. I played with Ivan at Manly and also the Sydney Roosters.

"He has always been very astute and smart. He doesn't say a lot, but when he does talk, he makes a good point.

"Ivan doesn't waffle and use 1000 words. He can condense that back to five or six words.

"All three are very disciplined - that is a trait they all share."

The Manly side that year also included club champions Ian Roberts, Cliff Lyons, Nik Kosef and Matthew Ridge. The side was coached by Immortal Bob Fulton.
Dean Ritchie

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/how-immortal-bob-fultons-manly-side-launched-the-nrls-coaching-revolution/story-fni3gnk1-1226993814972

Hang on, so Dean Ritchie wrote this?
Im sure someone started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. No idea who or what its called but there was a thread about the Bozo link in the current top coaches.

Is this the latest example of a paid journalist pinching an idea from a Silvertails poster..?

Actually thats not a completely plagiarised column. He has been sneaky the way he came from a different angle, probably trying to cover his tracks of theft. But he definitely used that thread as an idea, its so obvious

Lord Eagleton said:
Hang on, so Dean Ritchie wrote this?
Im sure someone started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago. No idea who or what its called but there was a thread about the Bozo link in the current top coaches.

Is this the latest example of a paid journalist pinching an idea from a Silvertails poster..?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when I was editing and processing the article for HappilyManly.

Lord Eagleton said:
Actually thats not a completely plagiarised column. He has been sneaky the way he came from a different angle, probably trying to cover his tracks of theft. But he definitely used that thread as an idea, its so obvious

Yeah, :dodgy: I don't think that the Silvertails post mentioned the Bob Fulton link.
icon_rolleyes.gif

AND Bozo co-selected (and counselled Lozza)
for NSW Origin again this year.

His influence remains, at the elite level, still!

And, he posts here too, did ya' notice?!

It's remarkable the influence Bozo has had, Toovey, Cleary and the other guy. And then you have Sheens who has overseen, Daley, Meninga, Bellamy.

I'd say Bozo also had an influence on Crusher who followed him here from the Rorters. And Fatty always claimed that he took a lot from his years playing under Bozo into his Origin coaching career, even if he did lose two of the three series he coached in.

@Killer03 I notice you left Canberra's current "supercoach" out of that group Tim Sheens has had an influence on :p (you also left out David Furner, but as a coach he didn't hit the heights)

Its not much of an article really though is it. Its a story that could go over a couple of pages and maybe getting a quote or 2 from Bozo would have been an idea but we get David O'Donnell and Jack Elsegood.

It all started with the unwritten Manly policy of only employing ex-manly players as coach.

I can only think of 2 non-manly coaches since 1963, (Lowe and sharp) and only about 5 in total since 1947.

This is the beginning of the "culture"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4