How good was Cliffy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
1981. Cliffy about to make his first grade debut for the Sharks. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the full time siren went off and he never got on the field. Eventually made his debut via Norths in 1985.

Spare a moment .... close your eyes .... and imagine 30m out .... attacking raid ... and Bozo playing centre outside Cliffy .....

PSS ... and then imagine Beaver giving an option by running an inside line ....
Bozo was a bit of a hog, I think he would have always tried to get the ball first.

Cliffy is the GOAT. Well certainly the greatest that I've seen. His magic was so powerful he not only made players stand still, but time it self. His slight of hand so strong an entire crowded stadium consistently left asking what just happened? Manly just scored but how? Time stopped still and everyone missed it.

Some of the greats of yester year were atheletes individually and had that advantage, being professionals before the game was at that standard.

That Clifford was a give me a packet of Ciggy's and a Pie at half time kind of guy, only adds to the Magic and wonderous sourcery of this part God part Man.

Last edited:
Cliffy is our best five right and Bozo centre. But to put things in perspective cliffy played some shockers. Mainly diamonds occasionally rocks.

My favorite Manly player of all time is Cliffy Lyons. He wasn't just good, at times he was simply great, and at other times he was pure magic

Cliffy was amazing and everyone rightly so talks about his unpredictability.... which makes the Lyons to Menzies combo even more special. Amazing how Beaver could be so in sync with Cliffy.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6