• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
came across this on you tube. manly v Dogs opening to a game.

Cement, Spud, Roberts! miss this sort mongrel in today's sterilized NRL.

probably makes me sound like a dinosaur but without the chance of an all in it just isn't the same. the constant niggle and crap that goes on in today's game is disgraceful. better that the boys sort it out there and then and move on.

Recollecting the 90's makes you far from a dinosaur........ i hope....
And yes. How good was the footy back then !!!!

Agree then Murdoch came along and stuffed the game up.
The game was going places. Second Brisbane team, Perth ..... would of been perfect for today’s TV.

And the sad part is that Murdoch probably wouldn't have even gotten involved (until much later when Packer's TV deal ran out) if not for a certain club who despite all of their advantages (no prizes for guessing who), had by the end of 1993 convinced themselves that they would never get a fair shake.

Last edited:
And the sad part is that Murdoch probably wouldn't have even gotten involved (until much later when Packer's TV deal ran out) if not for a certain club who despite all of their advantages (no prizes for guessing who), had by the end of 1993 convinced themselves that they would never get a fair shake.
And let's not forget a certain mongrel Sydney Club, with a very treacherous administrator, that saw the writing on the wall that there were too many Sydney clubs, and in fear of not making the cut, decided to put the knife into the other other Sydney clubs, assisted by that pathetic club from the southern beaches that was perpetually broke and constantly being bailed out of trouble by the then NSW RL, it was a very sad day for me when this club won it's maiden premiership recently, as I happen to live in the heart of it's pathetic supporter base.

The good old days when the first tackler hit the guy with the ball instead of catching him and holding him up until his mates arrive to help wrestle him to the ground.

Watching old games almost makes the current product unwatchable. Teams use to win by playing better football than the other team, not this win with better game management crap we have now.

There were a few years of torrid manly v dogs games at that time.Both had a day . The doggies smashed us one night in the first game after ian roberts taking jason smith out in origin on suspicion . Absoluted smashed him. Pity he didnt have the ball. He was a human torpedo.

I also remember ch 9 ****ing it up royally one night. The dogs scored early and the footage jumped from about the 8th minute to the 70 th with the score being 26 -2 or something. Really pissed me off as i was always pumped for these games

Hate the dogs, but despised them since the mouldberg was in charge

There have been a lot of changes in the style of play from the Golden Years of rugby league to now, but I think the main one is the percentage of players from Polynesian backgrounds in most teams. In that match I think I'm right in saying there were none.

There were a few years of torrid manly v dogs games at that time.Both had a day . The doggies smashed us one night in the first game after ian roberts taking jason smith out in origin on suspicion . Absoluted smashed him. Pity he didnt have the ball. He was a human torpedo.

I also remember ch 9 ****ing it up royally one night. The dogs scored early and the footage jumped from about the 8th minute to the 70 th with the score being 26 -2 or something. Really pissed me off as i was always pumped for these games

Remember that Friday night well when CH 9 virtually fast forwarded the replay and scores and was also quite annoyed , not helped by the touch up the Dogs eventually gave us that night . One of my biggest disappointments that era was the 95 season G F loss to the Dogs . Manly were by far the best side that year , easily had the Dog"s measure previously except in the decider , admittedly a few dodgy calls did not help Manly "s cause .

There have been a lot of changes in the style of play from the Golden Years of rugby league to now, but I think the main one is the percentage of players from Polynesian backgrounds in most teams. In that match I think I'm right in saying there were none.
Matthew Ridge says "Hi"

I think the rule changes and political correctness have been the main changers .... the players play in a style that the rules and coaching dictates .... imho

I remember the game you were talking about, I was at a club with a few mates when the score came up!!

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...16/canterbury-vs-manly-warringah/summary.html

Matthew Ridge, John Hopoate and Jason Williams.

Ridge and Williams were born in NZ (Rotorua and Christchurch respectively) while Hoppa was born in Nuku'alofa in Tonga.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8