How do our wingers compare?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Reserve Grader
Wing remains our team's only weak link IMO (perhaps it has to be if we spend up on other positions).

Interesting how the top four teams are far stronger than the rest on wings.

It's an area Des can experiment on - I'd love to see Funa get a game and believe Elliott is a better option than Garrick (only if Garrick loses goal kicking).

Excluding goal kicking, I rank wingers thus:

1. Roosters: Tupou/morris
2. Eels: Sivo/Ferguson
3. Storm: Ado-Carr/Vunivali
4. Raiders: Cotric/Rapana

5. Rabbits: Johnston/Gagi
6. Sharks: Dugan/ Mulitalo
7. Panthers: Mansour/Te'o
8. Manly: Jorge/Garrick
9. Tigers: Nofaluma/Thomson
10. Cowboys: Feldt/Hampton
11. Warriors: Muamualo/Herbert
12. Knights: Lee/Hunt
13. Titans: Don/Kelly
14. Broncos: Oates/Arthurs
15. Saints: Pereria/Lomax
16. Dogs: Meany/Crichton

I'd keep Garrick over most other wingers. He is doing great things. Taufua is a hard one to evaluate because he is one of the best ball running wingers out there but it comes at the expense of being a total liability in the air.

On current form I would say Sivo/Ferguson is the best wing pair in the comp.

Wing remains our team's only weak link IMO (perhaps it has to be if we spend up on other positions).

It's an area Des can experiment on - I'd love to see Funa get a game and believe Elliott is a better option than Garrick (only if Garrick loses goal kicking).

Id have us above Panthers. Mansour is way past it but you're pretty close to the money. I was doing similar with our centres and other positions.
I have us:
Eqaul best props
Equal best spine
Equal best backrow
Top 6 centres
Top 6 wingers
Equal best bench
Add to this pretty quality depth, its easy to see why we are one of the favourites. I wouldn't swap our pack or spine for any other in the comp. Our centres could both have break out years and be a top 4 centre pairing and our wingers have potential to be a top 4 wing pairing. Exciting times ahead, I said before anything less than a premiership over the next 3 years is a failure!

Wing is by far our weakest link in defence. Jorge is a liability in the air (luckily Canterbury are so dumb they kicked to Garrick) and Reuben allowed in more tries than any other player in the NRL last year, according to individual stats (may be harsh on a winger).

I'd keep Garrick over most other wingers. He is doing great things. Taufua is a hard one to evaluate because he is one of the best ball running wingers out there but it comes at the expense of being a total liability in the air.

I hate to keep talking about our old friend Jorge, as he is our most capped winger (151 games) in front of Mooney (143), Hancock (126) and Robertson (120). And such a loyal Clubman throughout that time.

Sunday's game did show his deficiencies in speed and handling, but also affirmed his value in bringing the ball out. With a bit of luck he could have been in the right position to score more than one try.

I remember when Bob Batty "stood down" to allow Graham Eadie to play 1st grade. The whole Peninsula was split 50/50 as to whether he should go or not, based on his long and loyal service.

Look at how Eadie repaid his faith over subsequent years!

I think that time has come, or is not far off.

Last edited:
I must have missed these. In the game I watched he didn't drop a ball or get found out for pace.

I am not in the habit of being pedantic, however I may not have expressed myself clearly.

You are right, Jorge wasn't done for pace and neither were his team mates v. The Dog's - it's just that he didnt get to where he wanted to go quick enough.

On one occasion the defender got his hands to a grubber kick just before Jorge, who arrived with what appeared to be his eyes shut?

S**t happens, I know but a little bit quicker could have been a try.

For whatever reason Dean Pay had not directed bombs to Taufua's wing, so he didn't drop any bombs that night; I stand corrected.

Eels and Raiders clearly best wing combination atm.
Storm and Roosters probably next and when Fusitua is available - the NZ pair of Maumolo and Fusitua would be a Top contender, with basically a lottery with the rest on any given day.
Happy enough with who we have considering the players they have inside them, who will provide enough opportunity to sit close to that initial ladder.

Last edited:
I am not in the habit of being pedantic, however I may not have expressed myself clearly.

You are right, Jorge wasn't done for pace and neither were his team mates v. The Dog's - it's just that he didnt get to where he wanted to go quick enough.

On one occasion the defender got his hands to a grubber kick just before Jorge, who arrived with what appeared to be his eyes shut?

S**t happens, I know but a little bit quicker could have been a try.

For whatever reason Dean Pay had not directed bombs to Taufua's wing, so he didn't drop any bombs that night; I stand corrected.

I recall 1 bomb to Horhay.

Fergo has been ass and sivo not much better

The six again string has changed the game in a way that suits Jorge’s returns and hit ups in the middle, and teams seem to be shy to attack that side with the ball in hand because of the fear that the grim reaper brings to them...

Garrick has been going fine... just gotta pack his kicking boots lol

The jets had the 2 best wingers ray blacklock and John Ferguson for a while. They were so exciting one day at brookvale when I was a kid - I was captivated by their skills.

They made breaks, danced through defence etc.

But manly won easily.

The lesson was that awesome wingers don’t win you games if everything else is pedestrian.

In true Des team fashion they fit into the structures and play their part. May not score a lot of runaway tries but they are cogs in a champion team.

Exactly!

We have 2 very different style wingers.

Garrick is a pretty standard modern day winger. Big enough, fast, agile, athletic and very good hands.

Horhay is a different beast. Very strong, intimidating defence, great at the early strong carries and scores quite a few tries that very few wingers could in cramming defence. Not to mention a great club man and a Manly icon.

I like the variation. A speedster outside Suli and a tough guy outside Parker.

Last edited:

You’re kidding when you say Elliott is a better winger than Garrick!!! Noway does Elliott score some of the tries Garrick does! Almost rookie of the year in 2019, scored numerous tries & kicked at almost 80% but Elliott is better value???

I used to get all worked up about Horhay and his seemingly complete lack of engagement and enthusiasm for the game. His painfully slow play the ball and poor game awareness are frustating. But at the end of the day he's played 150 games in arguably the easiest spot to fill on a footy team for any outside back with a modicum of talent. Yet no one has knocked Jorgey off his perch all these seasons, so he must be doing something right to keep all that talent at bay. Great finisher, great metre eater out of our end, and great bringer of the ringing bell every now and then. It'd be nice if he got a bit of mongrel in him or fired up every now and then - not sure if knows what he is capable of - but that's clearly not the sort of guy he is, so we just got to appreciate him for what he does do and not get down on him for what he doesn't. He'll do me. I'm looking forward to cheering his 100th try in this years GF.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7