HOW can Manly improve in 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Apart from getting a full and fit team, where can Manly improve??
More threat from dummy half
No running threat and just as big an issue- other's like Grant, Cook, Api, Bradley ect can engage a defender and have their support players push into space through a hole creating line breaks or at very least - Momentum
Be interested to see Tong or even Weekes have a shot, ppl will rightfully say it's tough defensively, but I will add....if your attack wins tempo and sets the opposition backwards - defence becomes far easier.
In reality not gunna happen so - Next which leads to point 2 - the MAIN area of concern - defence.
The illusion of poor defence out wide, is actually manufactured from the middle - not to excuse Harper, as he simply looked scared and lost last week, but he certainly had minimal help from his mates and it starts with opposition winning speed in the ruck.
Not to be an armchair critic, as this is simply a preference like what beer you like
Des likes 2 players in a tackle - well it appears this way every game Ive seen Manly the last 2 - 3 seasons and often there is only 1....making the release almost touch footy like and in the modern game, this puts pressure on from the inside out
Here is the scenario say against South's Cook or Penrith's Api
After having to release quickly with only 1 or 2 in the tackle, Cook scoops and takes off like a bullet - you are 6 meters back and need to make up 4 metres still backpedaling, players outside are confused as stay, shift, come in and there is support runners pushing into space....this is in the ruck, so the flow on effect is a lottery for the outside defenders simply having to react to the inside defenders who are all out of sync
Then watch Storm, Penrith tackle in bunches and slow the play ball and in turn are all communicating and coming up , rather than still getting onside, with line speed that dominates and swarms the opposition attack
Even allows an easy slide and shut when short on defensive numbers , as defending coming forward is far easier than on the back foot....
I am starting to wonder about the Manly side lacking the athletic and mobile middles to carry out the modern day defensive duties, but regardless....if the time is not slowed by extra numbers or somehow, will keep allowing big scores and rely on shootout scores to win....which won't be good enough against the Better sides.

Last edited:
Well let's look at our strongest side:

Turbo
Tui
Koula
Parker
Garrick
Foz
DCE
Aloiai
Crocker
Paseka
Smole
Schu
Jake

Walker
Davey/Lawton
Keppie
Bully/Sipley

Enough amount of strike and X factor to compete with the top teams again, especially with the fight we've put up in the last two weeks with massive obstacles (Harper and Lawton's send off) that we had to face. And I believe have the potential to be a defensively rock solid team. But if an improvement has to be made, it's the hooker role for sure. We need Fainu. Crocker serves well but has hit his ceiling, we need more craftiness and energy out of dummy half.

Hire Cameron Ciraldo as an assistant / defensive coach for 18 months with a caveat that he could get the head coaching role for 2024 based on KPI’s achieved..

Line speed in defence, only time we looked competitive in the last two weeks is when we have been in their face. All teams seem to get in our face but we like to hang back and let them run.

Offloads, we need to stop them and start producing them. We have bugger all second phase play, yet get scored on from so many offloads.

Discipline, not just the Jakes laying all over them. I mean the stupid passes over the sideline, the dropped balls in our own 30, all the little things that make us tackle for repeat sets and cause the fatigue that results in penalties.

Actually having forwards do hit ups 2-4. Seems like our backs take so many hit ups mid tackle count. This may be contributed to by our lack of middle forwards.

Other notes, improved inside defence close to the line, particularly near the posts.More running from Croker, he actually makes meters when he runs. A winger that can catch the ball and not just run fast.

Will always be much better when Paseka and Alioia are available as middle forwards , Add the long stints that Jake does there also and the best pick out of Keppie , Sipley and Marty [ although of course really on the outer now ] or a young gun prop and things should be more then adequate there . Walker , Haumole , Schuster and also jake in the back row periodically and again should be more then competitive in the engine room and the necessary mobility and ruck efficiency . koula as the i st centre pick , Tippey toes more then capable of managing centre or wing if required . Having Manly 's best available side on a regular basis is the real problem right now .

We don’t have the middle forwards to dominate games. Only Aloiai who is always out for one reason or another.

We don’t have the middle forwards to dominate games. Only Aloiai who is always out for one reason or another.
what about Bully ?,tell me if I am wrong but Bullymore seems to be more suited as a Prop ,he needs to get more time there from what I have observed and now with a few injuries there and some out of formers he should be played there. He certainly would have been an improvement on Marty .But he needs to get a decent go

Taupau (& Harper) should only be named during severe injury crisis.
Saab needs time in reserves
Our forwards need to step up on a weekly basis and show a ****load more line speed, aggression, and ticker. Also, since Des likes to only get 2 in a tackle (as opposed to 3 or more), we need to improve our wrestling technique
Chez needs to cut out the headless chicken crap, and learn little more composure

When you look at what divides the best v rest , we can find many many different attributes but the riff and the storm have control, patience and know how to win because they waited long enough in games to have defining wins, and that **** is addictive

This is part stems from a kick and chase. Now this gets tossed about a lot but where they excel is firstly the plan, they know the kick is coming. Secondly the team is well set to chase, but the biggest factor is where the kicker kicks from and how

Speedy play the ball , good service to kicker who looks to eat metres before using the kick of choice depending on field position. Hughes and cleary are very good at this. Then the team mechanism kicks in to respect the kickers sacrifice with an aggresive chase and consequence

Its there first train of thought, once defence gets lazy they then look to use variation , but trick shots but are never the first train of thought. Thats the cream on top reward for the discipline and patience

In bash and barge FOODY , the discipline to be patient and make good choices under pressure is the biggest missing factor that keeps us in a different tier. Unlike some of the other sides we have genuine gamebreakers and can trouble anyone if we developed the mental fortitude to resist, apply and unite

Top sides aware we are a 15 minute team at best which works perfectly for them as they expect to play controlled for way longer. Its win win.

There game plan is to build pressure and ours is to get on with it after having to tick some pesky KPI boxes first

Unless we ultra click that model trumps ours most times

For the first time in many years i see manly and dce trying to add this to our game, but we are starting a long way behind and there is no guarantees we have the cattle of the willingness on or off the field to implement

Last edited:
what about Bully ?,tell me if I am wrong but Bullymore seems to be more suited as a Prop ,he needs to get more time there from what I have observed and now with a few injuries there and some out of formers he should be played there. He certainly would have been an improvement on Marty .But he needs to get a decent go
Yeah , Bully definitely needs more opportunity and match time . Keppie improved against Souths , Sipley just seems to be doing enough , don"t even want to consider Marty at present and Bully could offer really good input if again given more opportunity to show his ability .

Will always be much better when Paseka and Alioia are available as middle forwards , Add the long stints that Jake does there also and the best pick out of Keppie , Sipley and Marty [ although of course really on the outer now ] or a young gun prop and things should be more then adequate there . Walker , Haumole , Schuster and also jake in the back row periodically and again should be more then competitive in the engine room and the necessary mobility and ruck efficiency . koula as the i st centre pick , Tippey toes more then capable of managing centre or wing if required . Having Manly 's best available side on a regular basis is the real problem right now .
Nailed it and the last sentence tops it off.

The line speed part and quick play the ball interest me.

Josh Aloiai seems to be our clear best at understanding this part. It seems that he recognises the urgency involved.

Makes you wonder why the others don't do it or seem to get it? Incapable or not the right attitude?

The line speed part and quick play the ball interest me.

Josh Aloiai seems to be our clear best at understanding this part. It seems that he recognises the urgency involved.

Makes you wonder why the others don't do it or seem to get it? Incapable or not the right attitude?
When blokes in our team need to think, is when problems start. We are such a dumb side.

And it's our stars. DCE He's up there with the best in the game, most influential players in the comp. Its hard to believe that someone who has played as many games as he has, has the big match experience, still comes up with some of the brain farts he does.

Same with Jake.

Same with Kapow.

Same with Turbo.

Across the entire squad. A lack of discipline, composure under pressure, understanding of game management, finally our 1 per centers.

I think its clear DES knows what needs to improve.

The players just seem to slow in responding.

It probably suggests DES is just a little bit too soft in his old age.

There is no one player positional fix.

If anyone one player could assist. Its a forward who comes from the Storm, Riff or Roosters who is a different voice regarding the work ethic needed, that helps drive cultural change to get to the next level.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8