How bad were the refs today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
conanu said:
bones said:
That was embarrassing that they disallowed Daniel Mortimers try.

I think they were trying to right a wrong because they missed the forward pass before it but couldnt call that from the video.

They missed the forward pass, so gave us the benefit of the doubt by calling the elbow to the head.

But the Roosters knock on from the short kick off was obvious to everyone but the two guys in pink :huh:

Credit to Manly for not getting too frustrated. JWH was trying his best to light Kingy and Choc's fuse :angel:

What about the 'try' we scored when Penny Farthing offloaded under Easts' posts, and the refs called it back and said "I think this is yours, Penny".
I've seen no mention about this in the media, yet all about the Mortimer try. Frankly, I thought both were tries. On the Hill I had no idea on what the rulling in the Mortimer 'try' was based. I thought he had been held, and passed the ball after the ref's call, like the Penny Farthing incident.

KOMORI said:
How is it that a player getting pushed back towards his own try line attempts to offload after being called held.... Then one of our guys swoops on the loose ball and scores.... and it's a play the ball??

At the very least it's passing after the "held" call and a penalty, or play on and a try to us??

WTF??

The rule has been changed this year to allow a play the ball to be reset after a pass is thrown if the ref has called held and the player hasn't heard it or it was similtaneous. It's not worth a penalty.

KOMORI said:
How is it that a player getting pushed back towards his own try line attempts to offload after being called held.... Then one of our guys swoops on the loose ball and scores.... and it's a play the ball??

At the very least it's passing after the "held" call and a penalty, or play on and a try to us??

WTF??

Totally

Stevo said:
KOMORI said:

WTF??

The rule has been changed this year to allow a play the ball to be reset after a pass is thrown if the ref has called held and the player hasn't heard it or it was similtaneous. It's not worth a penalty.

What next? Forgiving a knock on if the player wasn't ready for the pass?

KOMORI said:

WTF??

I thought the same thing. Normally you can hear on the TV coverage when the referee calls "held" but for the life of me, I never heard him call it yesterday during that incident. He must have whispered it.

The simultanious pass call is a good one but the player was still being walked back towards his try line and hence was desperate to off load before being tackled in goal, play was still going on.

Yeah when questioned the ref did say, "one foot off the ground so I had to call held". I thought the rule book said 2 feet have to be off the ground. Should have been a fair try to Manly.

bones said:

I remember King got pinged in the WCC for leading with an elbow. We were on the attack 1st tackle after a penalty too.

Re: Mortimer's try - Harrison could argue that his tackle would have been more effective if he wasn't being elbowed in the face, and thus may have been able to nullify the offload. It was a pleasant surprise to see "no try".

Also how about George's dropped ball in the last 2 mins! He was over! Surely that was a strip!:D

Canteen Worker said:
The short kick-off was the worst decision i have seen in a long time. It was clearly batted forward by a Rorter and the call was play on. There was a lot of inconsistency.

Has anyone seen a replay on this. I thought the rorters knocked it on and offered the ref my glasses but the guy in front of me, a manly supporter, shut me down saying it was knocked back by DCE.

Stevo said:
KOMORI said:

WTF??

If the referee called held then the Chooks player dropped it, the restart should have been a scrum feed to Manly.

If they went back to a single ref for each game, they could effectively sack half the refs and bump up the remaining referees' salaries in an attempt to find better quality by paying for it. Then the NRL could look overseas (not sure if they're better in the UK for example, but they'd have to be better than the ones here) and be competitive in salaries.

Shoe1 said:
bones said:

I remember King got pinged in the WCC for leading with an elbow. We were on the attack 1st tackle after a penalty too.

Re: Mortimer's try - Harrison could argue that his tackle would have been more effective if he wasn't being elbowed in the face, and thus may have been able to nullify the offload. It was a pleasant surprise to see "no try".

Also how about George's dropped ball in the last 2 mins! He was over! Surely that was a strip!:D

No strip. It did however go back off the hands bounce forward and was grounded - fair try!!!!!

codewana said:
If they went back to a single ref for each game, they could effectively sack half the refs and bump up the remaining referees' salaries in an attempt to find better quality by paying for it. Then the NRL could look overseas (not sure if they're better in the UK for example, but they'd have to be better than the ones here) and be competitive in salaries.

They could use some of the money saved to buy the video refs HD screens.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6