Hoppa not pulling punches

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
John Hopoate makes his professional boxing debut on the undercard of Wednesday's Green/Mundine fight.

He is apparently going under the moniker of 'King of the Ring' :lol: :lol:
Hoppa, we are all behind you!

I watched him on Fight for Life on NZ television a week or so ago, he looked really good - he had a very quick right hand. Good luck to Hoppa!

Can't wait for the day Hoppa and mundine square off (dont know if they are in the same division) could you imagine the audience that would be watching that fight!!

I watched him on Fight for Life on NZ television a week or so ago, he looked really good - he had a very quick right hand. Good luck to Hoppa!

Can't wait for the day Hoppa and mundine square off (dont know if they are in the same division) could you imagine the audience that would be watching that fight!!

Different weight divisions entirely. They would not ever meet up in the ring. Of course unless Hoppa loses a dozen kilos.

Apologies.....

Do you reckon they would let Hoppa wear just the one glove so the fingers on his other hand would be free?

When they banned below the belt punches I bet they weren't thinking of Hoppa's donut punching variety.

hoppa in the brown corner ,he,s just entered the ring ,jabbing away.
tko = tampering kolon orrifice..

Could get a bit crowded if the other guy is getting in the ring with him.

Especially if they're both wearing gloves.

You've got a wicked mind, CW.

But seriously ...

If you thought people couldn't believe what they were seeing when Hoppa unveiled his jab, imagine when he perfects the hook!

I just hope Hoppa has been tactically well-coached. If not, here's my advice:

Boxers generally attempt to land short, fast combinations and then quickly shift position to avoid a possible response by their opponent.

Strategically, the ring's centre is a desired position since a boxer is able to conserve movement by forcing the opponent to circle around them.

... nah. Lamb's already coached him on those tricks.

I just hope Hoppa has been tactically well-coached. If not, here's my advice:

Boxers generally attempt to land short, fast combinations and then quickly shift position to avoid a possible response by their opponent.

Strategically, the ring's centre is a desired position since a boxer is able to conserve movement by forcing the opponent to circle around them.

I didn't realise the fight was being held in the backroom at the Stonewall!! 8|

Sorry, guys, I'm on a roll. I'm enjoying it anyway.

Many people are wondering what style of boxing Hoppa will adopt.

There's the out-fighter, like Muhammed Ali and Larry Holmes, who maintain a gap and pick off their opponent. Hoppa could do that because he's good at jabbing.

Then there's the brawler, like Sonny Liston, George Foreman, & Mike Tyson who may lack finesse but make up for it in raw power. Hoppa is certainly capable of the one-hit knockout as Keith Galloway will attest.

But the most interesting to watch are fighters like Joe Frazier, who favour closing inside an opponent, overwhelming them with intensity and flurries. So the question is, will Hoppa follow natural tendencies and become an In-fighter?

i.e. Will he get his opponent in his corner and using a tactic of slipping and bobbing to the inside, inject everything he has until he throws in the towel.

... and who'd want to use the towel after all that?

Just to make clear, none of my above jokes about Hoppa are in any way intended to be an attack on him. He's got real guts and determination that I admire and aspire to. And he's maintained dignity in response to a massive, massive public overreaction from people with prudish holier-than-thou attitudes.

What I find enormously funny, and what makes taboo jokes generally funny, is the extreme moralistic reaction of some people. People who condone punches, elbows, knees, spear tackles, etc which might cause extreme injury and permanent disability as being part of the game yet scream blue-murder and call for life-bans in response to some social taboo pokes are themselves the jokes that make taboo-jokes funny.

Hoppas banning in reality had little to do with Galloway. That was merely the justification used.

Don't like boxing, and don't approve of the pokes, but I'll be barracking for Hoppa & wishing him financial and sporting success, and hoping he stays healthy. He deserves it given the shameful way he has been treated by our holier-than-thou self-serving press.

I liked the aggression and passion with which he played though the penalties and brain explosions always worried me. He was unfairly treated by the media but like Warnie there is an example of flawed genius and in some ways he was his worst enemy!!! Good luck to him though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4