Hoppa at the back

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c eagle

Reserve Grader
I for one love to see young new blokes come up the ranks , but watching hoppa last week against souths, he seemed to be caught out of position abit and was really deep on kicks and was caught on his own goal line trying to defend it ...........did anyone else see this, tonights game should pose as a massive test for our team, if our forwards can match it up front we will be in with a show , if not and it could turn into a long night

Hoppa knows how to play fullback, last week our forwards were average which along with the BS penalty count added to our demise. I think Matai will add some spark to the team aswell with some dummy half runs and a few big hits. Buhrer is playing great, so i cant wait to see how he goes in place of Choc. I also think DCE will be up for a good game aswell as Foran as they are working on their combinations. We will miss Snake roaming around looking for the ball aswell as his great communication and awareness at the back. T-Rex on the wing is my only real worry though....

The big issue with losing snake is the way he runs the defence. There just isn't that confidence in the line when he's not there. Hoppa can play fullback like a gun but he isn't the boss. Brett is the boss of our defensive team & that can't be replaced.

For my two bob, Oldfield can feel hard done by for this one.

Watching Hoppa again tonight I just dont think fullback is his best position. He has been so much more potent at center that is where he is best suited and where we need him to play. That means either Lyon goes to 5/8th or Matai to 2nd row or bench. We really need Snake at fullback his guidance with our defense is priceless. Plus Snake when he chimes in can throw outstanding passes which creates a lot of try assists. I think it may be time to consider Matai as a forward.

Tonight, and last week, Hoppa sitting on the tryline trying to defend is totally, utterly useless. Made him look as lost as Robbo did in that position. Needs some coaching on positional play from Brett. Aside from that, a very solid game from Hoppa.

His goal line defence isn't the best, but how good is he under the high ball?

I recall an article from a couple of years ago, where they were mucking around at training and he caught a bomb one handed, then another in the other arm and then a third while still holding onto the other 2!

Supporters from the Sharks were happy he was at fullback and think he is much more potent in the centres. I agree but that means moving Lyon or Matai out of the centres....

hoppa needs to get in one on one situations which is difficult from fullback.much more common at centre.may need to bide his time when snake is back as lyon and matai are set in stone.he has much to learn and will be great in coming years.

As long as we can keep him, alot of clubs will be after him as the force is strong in that one :)

been saying it for a few weeks now, foran to lock, hoppa in the centres with matai and jamie at 5/8

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4