Hopoate 1990

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hoopa was one of my favourites in the junior teams. His mum would sit in the stands and yell “go Hoppa, go Hoppa” it was always good to see as the crowds were usually pretty quiet.

I remember watching him rag doll so many players when he came across as cover defense from full back. He would usually wait tackle around the upper part of a player and grab siberhing then throw. He was the master of the jersey tackle.

Hoppa was a great talent but he had temperament issues from the start. I played both Rugby and League against him from the ages for 12 through til 18. He was always so much bigger than everyone else and clearly loved being the alpha for his age group. One school game our little hooker who was a quality defender kept cutting him down around the bootlaces. Hoppa couldn't handle it and got up and stomped on his hand breaking it. The ref sent him to the Sin Bin...Hoppa just told the ref to eff off and grabbed his bag and left.

He was unstoppable in Juniors, His Manly Vikings / Cove teams would beat us in the GF every year purely because of him. Unfortunately with all that natural talent he was a grub from the very beginning and it never changed.

Hoppa was a great talent but he had temperament issues from the start. I played both Rugby and League against him from the ages for 12 through til 18. He was always so much bigger than everyone else and clearly loved being the alpha for his age group. One school game our little hooker who was a quality defender kept cutting him down around the bootlaces. Hoppa couldn't handle it and got up and stomped on his hand breaking it. The ref sent him to the Sin Bin...Hoppa just told the ref to eff off and grabbed his bag and left.

He was unstoppable in Juniors, His Manly Vikings / Cove teams would beat us in the GF every year purely because of him. Unfortunately with all that natural talent he was a grub from the very beginning and it never changed.
And he was suspended permanently from Manly high as well for being a thug

Turned 30, married ,4 kids, mortgage however some good footy from Manly after a sad 1989. Why you ask?
Just the few 1990 threads you started that’s all.Were you born in 66 cause i was but was 24 years old,Strangely enough I got married in feb 1990 so we have something in common my friend.

I remember Hoppa coming through the junior ranks and you can see a lot of Albert in those plays.. Suffered some ongoing niggling injury issues early on and at times in reserves he didn't involve himself enough. But he developed into a top player and deserved his 2 two test appearances for Aus. Interesting that like his sons he started his first grade career as a 19 years old.and developed into one of Manly's best try scorers of that generation. A personality player and still loved by Manly fans despite his later misdemeanours, which despite all the hype, were far less serious than many far more serious behaviour issues by players who seemed more favoured by the League and the media.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8