Hit List - Bullemor and Thompson or Utoikamanu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mataiforever

Bencher
With rumours Marty is going off contract, inevitable upgrades to some of our young guns who've been locked in... we really need a quality prop or two that isn't on marquee coin.

- Thompson is reportedly on $700-$850k next year with Bulldogs willing to pay $450k - almost seems too good to be true... signing him for $300k-$450k would be a massive steal.

- Utoikamanu will be a NSW prop in a year or two he is that good in a very poor Tigers pack... he's at a shambles club and reportedly only on $275k... chuck him an upgrade and surely he jumps ship as we are a top 4 side.

- Bullemor is reportedly on the way to us. Unsure how much he is on but I can't imagine it is massive coin and i'm thrilled if it goes through as can play both prop and backrow, and is such a quick forward.

Sign 2/3 of the above and we have one of the best young packs in the comp moving forward.

With rumours Marty is going off contract, inevitable upgrades to some of our young guns who've been locked in... we really need a quality prop or two that isn't on marquee coin.

- Thompson is reportedly on $700-$850k next year with Bulldogs willing to pay $450k - almost seems too good to be true... signing him for $300k-$450k would be a massive steal.

- Utoikamanu will be a NSW prop in a year or two he is that good in a very poor Tigers pack... he's at a shambles club and reportedly only on $275k... chuck him an upgrade and surely he jumps ship as we are a top 4 side.

- Bullemor is reportedly on the way to us. Unsure how much he is on but I can't imagine it is massive coin and i'm thrilled if it goes through as can play both prop and backrow, and is such a quick forward.

Sign 2/3 of the above and we have one of the best young packs in the comp moving forward.
If that's true about Thompson, $450k is very acceptable. Has a great step and very pacey, and doesn't shirk the tough stuff.

Thompson would be sensational but he is already entering dangerous territory with his record at the judiciary, small charges are seeing him miss extra games due to loading. Are the Dogs really willing to pay that much to get rid of him? Makes absolutely no sense.

If we could get Uto it would be huge but isn't he still under contract, having only joined the Tigers this year?

If we can pick up Utoikamanu and Bullemor we will have an outstanding pack for years to come. I am not sold on Thompson due to how much time he spends off the field.

You forget; it may be $450k next season but in 2023 we'll be paying full freight for him and $850k for a season is ridiculous, and we'd never be able to afford it.
If we get Thompson for one season at 450k, I think Des would take this arrangement up, and then negotiate on a reduced price for Thompson for 23 in 22.

1. Thompson is a liability.
2. Uto is not off contract
3. Bullemor is not reportedly on the way to us, we are simply interested. He would be a good pickup.
Of the young guys coming through, I think Sione Fainu could become a really solid FG footballer. He has great late footwork and a big engine. Unfortunately he has been injured.
If Klemmer does want out of Newcastle, he’d be my pick. We need an angry bastard that makes the battle in the middle personal.

1. Thompson is a liability.
2. Uto is not off contract
3. Bullemor is not reportedly on the way to us, we are simply interested. He would be a good pickup.
Of the young guys coming through, I think Sione Fainu could become a really solid FG footballer. He has great late footwork and a big engine. Unfortunately he has been injured.
If Klemmer does want out of Newcastle, he’d be my pick. We need an angry bastard that makes the battle in the middle personal.
Watching today klemmer sprung to mind would be unreal value

If we get Thompson for one season at 450k, I think Des would take this arrangement up, and then negotiate on a reduced price for Thompson for 23 in 22.
Thompson is signed with the Dogs for two further seasons at anything from $775,000 to $850,000 (conflicting reports). He is not going to accept anything less for those two years. He may not care who pays it (Dogs/Eagles split), but in 2023 he will cost one club a lot more than he is worth. Manly isn't silly enough to pay this for him, especially as he gets suspended so frequently.

Klemmer? He'll be suspended again after this week's match for the umpteenth time. Besides, I don't think he's played well for at least two seasons. He's as one-dimensional as Sharon Woods.
If we haven't got better, younger and cheaper props coming through our juniors I'd be very surprised.

If we lose Taupau we still have a pretty good prop rotation. Paseka, Aloiai, Sipley, Keppie, Davey are all current squad players who are playing prop or can play prop. Then we have Fainu, Saddler, Tu'itavake all coming through. It's likely that Fainu and Saddler both come into the thirty for 2022.

I think there is a reasonable chance that we pick up Bullemore, but obviously it's far from a done deal. That gives us eight props in the main squad and one in the development squad. Nine in total.

Yes we do lose a lot of experience if Marty leaves. Obviously Utoikamanu would be a fantastic pickup but it's highly unlikely that the Tigers will be happy to let him go. I also don't think we need Thompson, Klemmer or Woods. I would really prefer that we work with what we have (plus Bullemore if we do that deal), and the props we have coming through.

Last edited:
If we could get Uto it would be huge but isn't he still under contract, having only joined the Tigers this year?/
Well he would be right at home here. He would join his mates Josh and Taniela over here
I think this is his second years at Tigers ,just couldn't break into the squad last year.
Manly have stolen ,Kapow,Taniela and Aloiaio from Tigers ,so why not make it four.

If we lose Taupau we still have a pretty good prop rotation. Paseka, Aloiai, Sipley, Keppie, Davey are all current squad players who are playing prop or can play prop. Then we have Fainu, Saddler, Tu'itavake all coming through. It's likely that Fainu and Saddler both come into the thirty for 2022.

I think there is a reasonable chance that we pick up Bullemore, but obviously it's far from a done deal. That gives us eight props in the main squad and one in the development squad. Nine in total.

Yes we do lose a lot of experience if Marty leaves. Obviously Utoikamanu would be a fantastic pickup but it's highly unlikely that the Tigers will be happy to let him go. I also don't think we need Thompson, Klemmer or Woods. I would really prefer that we work with what we have (plus Bullemore if we do that deal), and the props we have coming through.
Jakey also spends time at prop along with Siro now.

Thompson on $400 for 2 years would be a steal.

I would love one more edge forward for our depth. Moley and Shuey will be our starting second rowers for a lot of years to come. With Jack and Siro potentially moving on. A mobile, line running back rower to boost our stocks would be good. Lachlan Fitzgibbon seems on the outer at the knights and is off contract. I’d love Tyrone Peachey as well, the guy can play anywhere.

Along with resigning Walker and Funa. Of all of the off contract players I’d look at mainly adding depth.

Caleb Aitkens
Braidon Burns
Joey Lussick
Matt Ikavalu

Yes @ShakeySeaEagle I haven't included Jake or Sirro in the prop rotation, and have completely left out Kurt De Luis. So it my numbers are correct, and Sirro and Kurt De Luis are resigned, Bullemore is contracted etc we will have 12 players in the 2022 main squad in the prop rotation (or can play prop), and one in the development squad. Do we really need anymore?

I agree to an extent however if Marty leaves there is a bit of a hole... the question becomes can paseka / aloiai fill that hole... if their is great value on the market - why risk it? With a lot of players out the door there will be ample opportunity for youngsters...

Kurt De Luis has gotten a big look in this year... i think keeping “as is” and then marty subsequently leaving with no signing would be extremely risky

If we lose Taupau we still have a pretty good prop rotation. Paseka, Aloiai, Sipley, Keppie, Davey are all current squad players who are playing prop or can play prop. Then we have Fainu, Saddler, Tu'itavake all coming through
Sipley continues to improve but he's not quite there yet and Davey hasn't even been tried as an NRL prop and he'll be coming back from an ACL. Also not yet convinced that Saddler will make the grade, and the other 2 young guys are likely to need a few years development.
Letting Marty go now makes no sense to me.
We wouldn't get anyone better or cheaper. [edit - anyone as good as Marty would cost at least as much]
Plus he has the advantage of being invested in Manly after all he's done here. Which is a significant factor. Its all very well to sign some hired gun but will they fit in etc etc. (Good luck to Dogs with Vaughn for example but I imagine he's mainly focussed on getting his retirement in order and looking forward to more bbqs)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6