History Repeating

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
For those of us who go way back remember after the triumphs of 1976 and '78. We lost Bozo to the rorters after '76 and cranky Franky Stanton left after '78. We went into the wilderness with Alan Thomson and Ray Ritchie as coaches although we did get to the 1982 GF. Then 1983 the great one Bozo returns as coach. 1983 GF then 1987 premiers. dropped away and Bozo quit in 89. Graham Lowe coach no success till he quit ill health 1992. The great one Bozo returns and we hit 1995,96,97 GFs premiers in '96. We drop off again and Bozo quits. Go through the NE Sharpe disaster years till the 2nd coming Des 2004. GFs 2007,08,11 premiers '08. Des goes and 2V inherits an aging champion team makes GF2013. 2V punted and we go through another wilderness outsider Barrett years 2016-18. Time for the return of the messiah to take us back to the top.
It's history repeating and it always comes back to a club legend to do it.

For those of us who go way back remember after the triumphs of 1976 and '78. We lost Bozo to the rorters after '76 and cranky Franky Stanton left after '78. We went into the wilderness with Alan Thomson and Ray Ritchie as coaches although we did get to the 1982 GF. Then 1983 the great one Bozo returns as coach. 1983 GF then 1987 premiers. dropped away and Bozo quit in 89. Graham Lowe coach no success till he quit ill health 1992. The great one Bozo returns and we hit 1995,96,97 GFs premiers in '96. We drop off again and Bozo quits. Go through the NE Sharpe disaster years till the 2nd coming Des 2004. GFs 2007,08,11 premiers '08. Des goes and 2V inherits an aging champion team makes GF2013. 2V punted and we go through another wilderness outsider Barrett years 2016-18. Time for the return of the messiah to take us back to the top.

The common perception at the time was that old mate (the late and great) Ray Ritchie was appointed as a "stand-in" coach keeping the seat warm for Fulton's return ...... hard school when you lose your job after taking the team to the GF.

The common perception at the time was that old mate (the late and great) Ray Ritchie was appointed as a "stand-in" coach keeping the seat warm for Fulton's return ...... hard school when you lose your job after taking the team to the GF.
Another coach hard done by like Alan Thompson and Tooves...

#bringbozoback

I don"t think Lowe did too bad, after the 1989 debacle, we had to blood a lot of young players and we ended up finishing fourth just one point outside the top three in those days, in 1991 we finished in second place, only to end up fielding a half strength side to just lose against Canberra in a semi elimination, we ran eighth in 1992, in today's world all of those results would be considered a success, but I suppose in those days we had a much higher expectation every year, and rightly so.

Allan Thompson was the ‘89 coach, not Fulton.

Another appropriate phrase:

Those that cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Come on down Scott Penn.

I don"t think Lowe did too bad, after the 1989 debacle, we had to blood a lot of young players and we ended up finishing fourth just one point outside the top three in those days, in 1991 we finished in second place, only to end up fielding a half strength side to just lose against Canberra in a semi elimination, we ran eighth in 1992, in today's world all of those results would be considered a success, but I suppose in those days we had a much higher expectation every year, and rightly so.
Where I think Lowe fell away was after his Health/Heart issues...
Prob discovered that there are more important things in life than footy - go figure!

Must have been a very dedicated League man , Ray Richie . Read once many years ago where he had to retire with a serious knee injury when he was only 24 or so and after a top line short career as a winger for Manly i st grade and may have even had some rep honors [ though not completely sure on that one ] Anyway even after early playing retirement , still stayed in the senior Manly club system to eventually coach their i st grade side and unlucky not to have won a title . He had a side good enough to take a title out but unfortunately just could not produce their best when it really mattered .

Must have been a very dedicated League man , Ray Richie . Read once many years ago where he had to retire with a serious knee injury when he was only 24 or so and after a top line short career as a winger for Manly i st grade and may have even had some rep honors [ though not completely sure on that one ] Anyway even after early playing retirement , still stayed in the senior Manly club system to eventually coach their i st grade side and unlucky not to have won a title . He had a side good enough to take a title out but unfortunately just could not produce their best when it really mattered .

Ray Ritchie played for City, NSW and Australia ..... in 49 games for Manly he scored 37 tries ... a great strike rate in any era ......

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8