Hiku - MOM

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
torana355 said:
He made something like 285m with ball in hand, outstanding effort.

297 metres from 26 runs with zero errors - numbers rarely seen at NRL level. :D

CAMBO said:
Jax24 said:
As tough as it was watching us lose, I am very proud of Peta. To win Man of the Match in his 1st Finals games on a losing team was huge. I thought he was outstanding. He was safe under the high ball, returned the ball hard, was solid on attack and defended well.

This game really was a defining game for me personally. While I have been happy with how Peta played in 10 regular season games, I still wondered whether he could be a fulltime 1st grader. I thought he may possibly only peak as a second tier replacement due to his versatility. Last nights performance showed me he can. I thought Peta exhibited great confidence and composure in a big game. He wasnt overawed and just did his job.

Peta definitely still has more learning and improvements to make in all the facets of his game. He possibly could have stopped that try if in better position defensively and while his second man play is improving with more experience he can become better. He will never be a speed demon so he has to make sure his decision making on attack and defence is top notch.

In saying all this, I think the main factor for Peta's development will just be gaining more playing time and experience in top grade. If this was his last game this season, I have to say he has had a rookie year even I couldnt have dreamed of. So proud and happy for the nephew.
I came here looking for your post mate.
Your family should be so proud the kid had the biggest shoes to fill on the biggest stage and he was exceptional. I hope manly wraps him up long term.
Thank you for the kind words CAMBO. I was very proud of Peta for his performance. It was a sink or swim situation and he rose to the occasion. He personally confirmed that he has the goods to be a regular 1st grader. I do hope Manly can lock him up as well. I know his partner and child are moving over before next season, so hopefully they fall in love with the Northern beaches.

The more I see of Peta the more I think he is more of a centre than a fullback. I think we are more in need of centres over the next couple of seasons so thats where I see his long and happy career will be at Manly.

simon64 said:
Just goes to show how tight a match it was.

Peta deserved the award.

Don't remember the last time a player on the losing side won MOM.

Well played son.

well deserved by Peta

when we played canberra the MOM went to paul vaughan of canberra, his stats were rubbish compared to his fellow team mates let alone compared to our guys who actually won the game quite comfortably.

the roosters fans are dirty at one of our players winning, they thought friend should have won

MissKate said:
simon64 said:
Just goes to show how tight a match it was.

Peta deserved the award.

Don't remember the last time a player on the losing side won MOM.

Well played son.

well deserved by Peta

when we played canberra the MOM went to paul vaughan of canberra, his stats were rubbish compared to his fellow team mates let alone compared to our guys who actually won the game quite comfortably.

the roosters fans are dirty at one of our players winning, they thought friend should have won

That Paul Vaughn man of the match in Canberra was an award for the best Raiders player on the day. They do that every game. For those with a long memory they gave the award one day to Brett Finch and he got boo'ed by the home crowd. His old man had just gotten the flick from the club and whilst I think he was always going to leave after that anyway he claimed that as the straw that broke the camels back and he left for the Roosters.

faithful said:
The more I see of Peta the more I think he is more of a centre than a fullback. I think we are more in need of centres over the next couple of seasons so thats where I see his long and happy career will be at Manly.
I agree. Look he's a great kid, enthusiastic, strong, determined. Safe under bombs. Great returns.
However, is quick enough to be a successful fullback in the long run ?.
Sure, he has a big set of boots to fill, and there can be 'different types of fullback'. Eadie is one type, Snake is another. Inglis combines them. But the game is fast, and getting faster, and you have to be able to do that support play magic when the opportunity presents itself (or even half presents itself).

I read that Hiku set a record for metres gained. Allowing for how well he played I find this hard to believe. I don't know how they calculate these stats but surely there have been dozens of Manly players over the years who have made more metres in a game.
This is certainly not intended as a criticism; rather, I'm seeking an explanation. How are metres calculated - from the time you receive the ball or from the time you get to the defence?

The Who said:
I read that Hiku set a record for metres gained. Allowing for how well he played I find this hard to believe. I don't know how they calculate these stats but surely there have been dozens of Manly players over the years who have made more metres in a game.
This is certainly not intended as a criticism; rather, I'm seeking an explanation. How are metres calculated - from the time you receive the ball or from the time you get to the defence?

Yes. Any metres gained with ball in hand. Have you ever seen the stats sheets the players get? They're extremely in depth and would be great if the public got a chance to see them. Tackles effective/ineffective etc. I'll screen shot one and post it over the weekend.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
faithful said:
I agree. Look he's a great kid, enthusiastic, strong, determined. Safe under bombs. Great returns.
However, is quick enough to be a successful fullback in the long run ?.
Sure, he has a big set of boots to fill, and there can be 'different types of fullback'. Eadie is one type, Snake is another. Inglis combines them. But the game is fast, and getting faster, and you have to be able to do that support play magic when the opportunity presents itself (or even half presents itself).

I agree he's a centre, but if he ends up at fb, he's no snake or inglis, but could be a ridge. That is not big or fast, but smart, safe, tough and a top organiser.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4