Hiku Eyes Permanent Place

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

TokyoEagle

Bencher
By Ben Blaschke
NRL.com

Peta Hiku has been a revelation plugging holes with aplomb in Manly’s star-studded backline in 2013.
He has been Manly's 'Mr Fix It' in 2013 but Peta Hiku is hoping one last match-winning performance against Penrith at Brookvale Oval might be enough to convince coach Geoff Toovey that he is more than simply a ready-made replacement come finals time.

http://www.nrl.com/hiku-eyes-permanent-place/tabid/10874/newsid/74537/default.aspx

Read More

By Ben Blaschke
NRL.com

Peta Hiku has been a revelation plugging holes with aplomb in Manly’s star-studded backline in 2013.
He has been Manly's 'Mr Fix It' in 2013 but Peta Hiku is hop
894783-peta-hiku.jpg
ing one last match-winning performance against Penrith at Brookvale Oval might be enough to convince coach Geoff Toovey that he is more than simply a ready-made replacement come finals time.

http://www.nrl.com/hiku-eyes-permanent-place/tabid/10874/newsid/74537/default.aspx

An unknown at the start of the year after arriving from the Warriors in search of an opportunity, Hiku has surprised even himself with the progress he has made - having played nine games and covered everywhere from fullback to wing to centre and even a brief stint in the halves.

And although he knows he will make way for Brett Stewart when the Sea Eagles' star fullback returns for the finals next week, Hiku is hoping he will at least have done enough to earn a spot somewhere in the 17.

"It would be good to get a taste of finals footy and see what the atmosphere is like out there," the softly spoken 20-year-old told NRL.com this week. "Hopefully I get a chance to play in the finals.

"The games I've been playing, I've been trying to make the most of it and get my name out there. Hopefully I've done my job. The main thing is not to think about it and just do the best for the team filling in for those spots."

Hiku has certainly impressed this season despite rarely knowing what the current week is going to bring. Even more notable is the fact that he has done so despite having left his partner Faith and two-year-old daughter Ada Jane back home in Auckland while he chased his NRL dream.

Currently living in a share house in Belrose with teammates Jorge Taufua, James Hasson and Ligi Sao, he has also spent most weeks this year training as Manly's 18th man – often only informed the day before the game whether he was in or out of the team.

"It can be pretty tough just coming in any time someone gets injured," he said. "They always have me running as 18th man just in case someone gets injured in the warm-up. They always get me prepared to do that every week but I'm just going to have to get used to it. It would be good to play finals but the coach has to pick the strongest 17 out there so hopefully everyone is fit so he can do that.

"It's been a really good year for me anyway. Just to debut this year would have been good but it happened to turn out better than expected for me."

Having filled in on the wing last week in the absence of the suspended Taufua, Hiku gets his shot in his preferred fullback position against Penrith and says he has learnt a lot since debuting against Cronulla in round six.

"I remember when I played against Melbourne earlier in the year, I think I paid too much attention to the fact I was playing against Billy Slater and I probably didn't play my best footy," he said.

"I've learnt now that playing up against anyone – it could be Slater or it could be a new player like myself - [you] just worry about what you need to do and what the team needs to get done. That's where the focus needs to be throughout the week.

"This week I just need to focus on what I need to do which at fullback means more talk. I've got to talk more to the boys in the team, especially having Anthony Watmough out as well. Brett Stewart normally does all the talking himself and has everything under control so hopefully I can get the job done."

The kid is definitely a talent. IF for some reason we fail to get the Wolfmans signature on a contract....Hiku is the guy I'd put on the wing to replace him.

I really like hiku as a player however I don't think he is quick enough for a permanent wing spot in NRL. Would make a handy centre and could eventually replace Stevie or killer!

Great talent. Problem is, when will he get a permanent spot if Wolfie does stay?

Can't see him in the team permanently for at least 2 or 3 years.

Assuming that's when Lyon, Matai or Snake finish their contracts.

Hopefully he remains knowing that.

Sheikheagle said:
I really like hiku as a player however I don't think he is quick enough for a permanent wing spot in NRL. Would make a handy centre and could eventually replace Stevie or killer!

If I recall, last year I heard somewhere that centre is his preferred position.

We need a quality player to plug the gaps in the short term. There will always be injuries/suspensions, currently if we lose a player in the backline we don't lose a lot. (although I think Snake is irreplaceable in terms of winning the comp).

I hope Hiku sticks around, look at the players to learn off....Snake at FB, Killer at Centre......there's none better than those 2 in their spots.

He could be groomed for a centre spot once Matai or Lyon leave. Realistically he will not be our next long term fullback if Gutherson keeps on progressing. Sure hope we keep Hiku beyond next year, he will only get better. I think we might be sacrificing Wolfman for him, having a regular spot will have him keen to stay on.

If we do resign the Wolfman.....I fear Hiku might eventually go the same way as Dean Whare. Not necessarily to Penrith (though I wouldn't put it past Gus Gould to wave a contract under his nose), but he might go elsewhere in search of a permanent first grade spot.

Personally I hope we can keep both Williams and Hiku. Neither are the fastest backs going around, but Wolfy knows his way to the tryline while Peta is getting better with each outing. But with our backline set right now, Hiku might have to wait a couple of years on the fringes filling in here and there when needed. I hope he's the patient type because he's a keeper.

If Wolfie keeps coming in off his wing, then he can go. I liked the Josh Dugan look-a-like we played on the wing on Sunday. Solid, no mistakes.

Really? Have a look at where Gutherson was when Walsh launched that bomb which Whare caught with no-one in coo-ee. He was marking Walsh on the right side of the field!

Not having a go at Guthers by any means, just sticking up for Wolfie. I reckon he is often blamed for defensive failures well in-field.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Really? Have a look at where Gutherson was when Walsh launched that bomb which Whare caught with no-one in coo-ee. He was marking Walsh on the right side of the field!

Not having a go at Guthers by any means, just sticking up for Wolfie. I reckon he is often blamed for defensive failures well in-field.

Completely different scenarios.

Fullbacks and wingers should have either blinding speed or brute strength. Hiku is talented, but sadly lacks either attribute.

g'day all,At the risk of getting laughed out of the place,i posted in a previous thread about him after one of his first games in first grade the way he plays hes creative,likes to be involved,has a good degree of skill and the way the game is played now i think he would make a pretty good fist of the dummy half position adding a bit of spark also.
cheers mike

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4