Here's much to do with hate, but more with love.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Interesting thread @Woodsie this love and hate thing
Passion and emotion after a Manly loss and disappointment triggers irrational negative feelings and words come out that you dont really mean to say .

Passionate fans have high expectations from our great club and the great standards that our great Manly players have set to make the Manly Sea eagles a legendary club

All players run on to the field and try their best to win and we cant hate them for that !
What passionate fans like me do hate with a passion is losing

Every body loves a winner and winning is everything in professional sport
Which one of us loves losing against the opposition ?
As soon as we start accepting a loss with out any resentment we end up passionless

The Manly Sea eagles club is not a sacred hearts community club . We are a professional and legendary club with a proud winning history and we need to maintain that high standard with high quality Manly players . To do other wise would be a total disservice to our clubs legendary statues
5dc01f464a3bdcde7a15d204e3693279.jpg

I dont think you'll get much opposition in voting for John Hopoate, an ongoing embarrassment, and he is unfortunately someone who has kept haunting Manly in more ways than one. I think it will be good when we run out of Hopoates

I have to say, in another way of interpreting, I love Cherry Evans, talented player and glad hes a Manly player, but if he wasnt with Manly, I would hate him I think, same with Walker, but basically, all in all, if he's a good player, welcome to Manly

Funny, I was going to say something similar. Chatted with Josh Stuart at the club one day - a real nice guy and staunch Manly fan.

On a negative note, the one I despised wearing our jersey was Kimmorley - all the circus when he came to the Eagles, would never appear at any promotion or fan day and was so full of himself.

I'm surprised @Woodsie you omitted John Hopoate from your list - surely you didn't enjoy seeing him play for us, or the unwanted publicity from his many indiscretions.

Kimmorley and Craig Field are the ones I hated and I also had a strong dislike for Kevin McGuinness and Jason Taylor

I dont think you'll get much opposition in voting for John Hopoate, an ongoing embarrassment, and he is unfortunately someone who has kept haunting Manly in more ways than one. I think it will be good when we run out of Hopoates

I have to say, in another way of interpreting, I love Cherry Evans, talented player and glad hes a Manly player, but if he wasnt with Manly, I would hate him I think, same with Walker, but basically, all in all, if he's a good player, welcome to Manly
The hatred for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Finger only came recently not as a player in his hay day

T- Rex my biggest frustration, the body of a T-Rex with the heart of a mouse!
Largely agree with this but he did find some mojo in 2011 and was good at running over opponents. Even in 2012 he was ok & then he got a back injury thanks to a poor Buhrer pass playing Origin.

Chatting to a mate yesterday, big Scotty the Doggies fan, and the subject of Matai came up ... cue the usual hatred of Matai ... and that got me to pondering the subject of the Love and Hatred of my own team .. not who I hate in other teams .. but who have I disliked that have played for Manly ..

Going through the current squad ... I can honestly say that there are no players in the team that I actively dislike ... there are a couple that I wish were better players, a couple that I wish weren't trouble addicted .. but dislike or hate? ... no,

There have only really been a handful of players I have dreaded seeing in a Manly jersey ... John Ribot, Craig Field, Nate Miles and Willie Mason among them ...

From the Northern Eagles .. Josh Stuart and Brett Kimorley ...

So overall .. one of the things that I am grateful for over the years is the fact that I have at all times been able to like my own team ...

PSS .. Get that thread title intaya @globaleagle ...
Here are a few of mine that just never lived up to the expectations and left us feeling ripped off and knowing they had so much more talent than what they showed us, left us waiting for more but just seeming to somehow disappoint, were unrealised talent, or they were passed it, or they just plain couldn't play:-

Ripped Off

Phil and Michael Blake
Chris Close
TRex
Kimmorley
Jason Taylor
Yes the Iro Brothers
Phil Adamson
Martin Bella
Ray Brown
Rick Chisolm
Mitchell Cox
John Dorahy
Jack Elsegood
Paul Shaw
Andy Goodway
Sam Harris
Ray Higgs
Albert Hopoate
Liam Knight
Kevin McGuinness
Gene Ngamu
Jamie Olejenik
Ian Schubert
Phil Sigsworth
Nate Myles
Elwyn Walters
Tony Melrose
Neville Elwin
Steve Gearin
Joe Ropati
Graham Mackay
Willie Mason

Cant Play

Adam Brown
Lewis Brown
Luke Burgess
Brett Fulton
Scott Fulron
David Gower
Adam Hayden
Jye Mullane
Jonathon Wright

T- Rex my biggest frustration, the body of a T-Rex with the heart of a mouse!

The interesting thing about T-Rex for me is ... for every minute he played well, he stood around like a stunned Mungo for 79 minutes doing nothing .. but, here is the thing, I never heard him give himself a wrap ... it was again all the media hype, raving on about his tackle busts, the fact that he would completely stop to bump the first defender off, and then get swamped appeared to be irrelevant.

So as much as I wanted him gone, and a real footballer to take his place ... I never disliked him personally ... always thought other people were writing his cheques that he couldn't cash.

Disclaimer ... there was one 15 minute period when he played for Aust against the Poms where he showed what he could do if his batteries were ever fully charged .. still one of the best individual periods of play I have seen ..

I'm surprised @Woodsie you omitted John Hopoate from your list - surely you didn't enjoy seeing him play for us, or the unwanted publicity from his many indiscretions.

As someone else has said, most of Hoppa's brain explosions happened after he left Manly .. but you are probably correct, I did give him more leeway than I should ....

Here are a few of mine that just never lived up to the expectations and left us feeling ripped off and knowing they had so much more talent than what they showed us, left us waiting for more but just seeming to somehow disappoint, were unrealised talent, or they were passed it, or they just plain couldn't play:-

Ripped Off

Phil and Michael Blake
Chris Close
TRex
Kimmorley
Jason Taylor
Yes the Iro Brothers
Phil Adamson
Martin Bella
Ray Brown
Rick Chisolm
Mitchell Cox
John Dorahy
Jack Elsegood
Paul Shaw
Andy Goodway
Sam Harris
Ray Higgs
Albert Hopoate
Liam Knight
Kevin McGuinness
Gene Ngamu
Jamie Olejenik
Ian Schubert
Phil Sigsworth
Nate Myles
Elwyn Walters
Tony Melrose
Neville Elwin
Steve Gearin
Joe Ropati
Graham Mackay
Willie Mason

Cant Play

Adam Brown
Lewis Brown
Luke Burgess
Brett Fulton
Scott Fulron
David Gower
Adam Hayden
Jye Mullane
Jonathon Wright

Yes, but as I stated ... there is a huge difference between disliking someone playing for your club because of their character ... and disliking them simply because they don't live up to our expectations ...

And it is the lack of the former to have played for Manly that I rejoice in ...

Yes, but as I stated ... there is a huge difference between disliking someone playing for your club because of their character ... and disliking them simply because they don't live up to our expectations ...

And it is the lack of the former to have played for Manly that I rejoice in ...
yep agreed Woodsie. We haven't had many off field grubs.

Ripped Off

Phil and Michael Blake
Chris Close
TRex
Kimmorley
Jason Taylor
Yes the Iro Brothers
Phil Adamson
Martin Bella
Ray Brown
Rick Chisolm
Mitchell Cox
John Dorahy
Jack Elsegood
Paul Shaw
Andy Goodway
Sam Harris
Ray Higgs
Albert Hopoate
Liam Knight
Kevin McGuinness
Gene Ngamu
Jamie Olejenik
Ian Schubert
Phil Sigsworth
Nate Myles
Elwyn Walters
Tony Melrose
Neville Elwin
Steve Gearin
Joe Ropati
Graham Mackay
Willie Mason

Cant Play

Adam Brown
Lewis Brown
Luke Burgess
Brett Fulton
Scott Fulron
David Gower
Adam Hayden
Jye Mullane
Jonathon Wright

That IS a fair list !!

That IS a fair list !!
am sure some people will disagree especially with P Blake but he never ever got there - he was always going to. Yes he scored some great tries in 82/83 but in the GF in both games he went missing and was a turnstyle in defence - very much like D Lockyer. He leads my he never quite delivered on the talent he had list. I just can't stomach how we lost both those GF's. Poor poor play, maybe some dodgy game planning but yes a heap of them - mainly internationals that just did not deliver in either game.

am sure some people will disagree especially with P Blake but he never ever got there - he was always going to. Yes he scored some great tries in 82/83 but in the GF in both games he went missing and was a turnstyle in defence - very much like D Lockyer. He leads my he never quite delivered on the talent he had list. I just can't stomach how we lost both those GF's. Poor poor play, maybe some dodgy game planning but yes a heap of them - mainly internationals that just did not deliver in either game.
Very disappointing in 82 - 83 G F 's , toweled the Eels up in the preliminary semi and just so disjointed and below par in the G F 's for some reason . Good Eels sides for sure but should have jagged at least one of them .

Ripped Off

Phil and Michael Blake
Chris Close
TRex
Kimmorley
Jason Taylor
Yes the Iro Brothers
Phil Adamson
Martin Bella
Ray Brown
Rick Chisolm
Mitchell Cox
John Dorahy
Jack Elsegood
Paul Shaw
Andy Goodway
Sam Harris
Ray Higgs
Albert Hopoate
Liam Knight
Kevin McGuinness
Gene Ngamu
Jamie Olejenik
Ian Schubert
Phil Sigsworth
Nate Myles
Elwyn Walters
Tony Melrose
Neville Elwin
Steve Gearin
Joe Ropati
Graham Mackay
Willie Mason

Cant Play

Adam Brown
Lewis Brown
Luke Burgess
Brett Fulton
Scott Fulron
David Gower
Adam Hayden
Jye Mullane
Jonathon Wright
That is quite a list , have to disagree on Dorahy [ Joe Cool l ] experienced a career threatening injury early in his i st year with Manly but still recovered to play some classy footy . But fair enough , never got full value out of him . Marty Bella was reasonably solid the i st two seasons for Manly but did fall away a bit in the third . Many of the others you have mentioned were only ever fringe or depth players , especially 99 or so or early Nth Eagles era . but Mc Guinness was a particular disappointment compared with his prior form . . Guys like Close ., Iro brothers had their moments but not that consistent Nate Myles .[ in particular ] Field , Kimmorley and Jason Taylor seemed to have some objectionable ways on and off the paddock and actually could name quite a few more players who did not measure up playing wise for a variety of reasons

That is quite a list , have to disagree on Dorahy [ Joe Cool l ] experienced a career threatening injury early in his i st year with Manly but still recovered to play some classy footy . But fair enough , never got full value out of him . Marty Bella was reasonably solid the i st two seasons for Manly but did fall away a bit in the third . Many of the others you have mentioned were only ever fringe or depth players , especially 99 or so or early Nth Eagles era . but Mc Guinness was a particular disappointment compared with his prior form . . Guys like Close ., Iro brothers had their moments but not that consistent Nate Myles .[ in particular ] Field , Kimmorley and Jason Taylor seemed to have some objectionable ways on and off the paddock and actually could name quite a few more players who did not measure up playing wise for a variety of reasons
Great input. I just can't remember Joe Cool really standing out but then again I am old and decrepit lol. But yes I was really trying to identify guys we just didn't get full value from..... for whatever reason.

Very disappointing in 82 - 83 G F 's , toweled the Eels up in the preliminary semi and just so disjointed and below par in the G F 's for some reason . Good Eels sides for sure but should have jagged at least one of them .
oh yes so agree - those two make me mad for the terrible effort. I can stand being beaten by a much better side but that was not the case in those two grand finals.

Blake went from the most amazing halback in relation to brilliant speed , step, anticipation and the freakish chip and chase....to a winger and reserve grade
Unfortunately was a perfect example of a confidence player and losing both the 82 and 83 grand finals, spiralled downhill and could never rediscover his confidence or the player who burst onto he scene and was unfairly copping the "Bob Fulton " comparisons very early

Blake went from the most amazing halback in relation to brilliant speed , step, anticipation and the freakish chip and chase....to a winger and reserve grade
Unfortunately was a perfect example of a confidence player and losing both the 82 and 83 grand finals, spiralled downhill and could never rediscover his confidence or the player who burst onto he scene and was unfairly copping the "Bob Fulton " comparisons very early
yep he always promised so much and seemed to crumble under pressure

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10