• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lismore_fan

Bencher
Unsure what the rule-book says and totally unsure how the refs rule on it.

If the defenders stop the progress of an attacker, I would call that a 'held tackle', but as they stop to allow the play-the-ball, the attacker invariably slips one away and they call it an off-load.

If they don't let him go, they penalise for hanging on too long.
Even when they fell the attacker and hang on to the legs either too long or not long enough - same thing happens; they let him go to play the ball and slimy bugger scampers off again.

Even the players are mystified by the refs non-called 'Held', as in Foz las night being penalised.

The refs have got to call 'Held' each tackle otherwise it's a farce!

lismore_fan said:
Unsure what the rule-book says and totally unsure how the refs rule on it.

If the defenders stop the progress of an attacker, I would call that a 'held tackle', but as they stop to allow the play-the-ball, the attacker invariably slips one away and they call it an off-load.

If they don't let him go, they penalise for hanging on too long.
Even when they fell the attacker and hang on to the legs either too long or not long enough - same thing happens; they let him go to play the ball and slimy bugger scampers off again.

Even the players are mystified by the refs non-called 'Held', as in Foz las night being penalised.

The refs have got to call 'Held' each tackle otherwise it's a farce!

See Page 23 of http://admin.nrl.sportal.net.au/site/_content/document/00000855-source.pdf

Lismore, I thought the refereeing last night was disgraceful. Foz got penalised for that one, yet Saints held us down all night.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

Fans & teams want consistency. That's what is digging a hole for the NRL & its referees this year.

The worst penalty was in the 2nd half when set after set the Dragons were getting away with holding down Manly players or putting them to ground well after the ref called held. When Choc threw that wayward pass that the Dragon caught the referee penalised Manly for a hold down. One tackle & BANG! Penalty!

Most impressive part of Manly's win is that the boys GOT NOT ONE PENALTY IN THEIR OWN HALF OF THE FIELD. When did a winning team last do that? NO piggy back up the field all night. Not one. Massive effort from Manly & no wonder they were dead tired at the end.

Are you talking about the one that was 2 or 3 tackles after they had TWO second efforts on Ballin and then Killer complained about it? If so that was the softest penalty I have ever seen for holding down. The Dragons player (I think Creagh?) wasn't even trying to get up.

MadMarcus said:
Are you talking about the one that was 2 or 3 tackles after they had TWO second efforts on Ballin and then Killer complained about it? If so that was the softest penalty I have ever seen for holding down. The Dragons player (I think Creagh?) wasn't even trying to get up.

Yeah the last one was on Creagh, it was the softest penalty, I try to watch and be semi neutral (I know im contradicting myself there) but there are some bloody dodgy calls on us and none on them, some non calls on the Dragqueens were disgraceful!

DSM5 said:
They were offside most of the night as well. A poor display.

I thought the same thing as well and made mention of the Dragon's lack of 10m in the game day thread.

What gets me is how long they let the attacker fight in the tackle.

Its happened twice this year costing us tries. Once against the Sharks and once with Dugan.

They just let them fight and struggle with 3 guys holding them....then penalise the defenders for not letting go.

Brissie Kid said:
Fans & teams want consistency. That's what is digging a hole for the NRL & its referees this year.

Spot on exactly!!! I'm of the belief we dont need 2 referees, as that is automatically increasing the inconsistency during a game. Both referees have varying 10m defensive lines, which can be clearly visible at a game or on TV. The speed of the play the ball is also varied, with some referees tending to allow an extra couple of seconds holding down. Call me old school, but even bringing back the dead ball line official, could be better than having the video ref.

Consistency? Choc reaching for a try and in desperation, Morris deliberately plays at the ball with his legs - knocks the ball out, Choc regathers.

Decision? Knock on! Inglis try forgotten already?

Ive always thought refs should call Held, then release. After that it should be a penalty for holding down, or a change-over for an 'ánd-after' (to use the touch footy term).

It would stamp out the stupid wrestling and slowing the play the ball.

Not refs calling held 10 times for no penalty, then 5 mins later blowing a penalty after calling held once.

The Dragons got away with murder in the ruck. Spot on with the Watmough try, how can it be a fair try in origin, which i did agree with (Farah plays at it for mine), and then a no try on the weekend. Consistency is all we ask for.
Get rid of one of the refs and cut down on half the mistakes they make. It would save some cash to buy the video refs HD viewers, too.

The held call or no call is all over the place this season, leading to plenty of player confusion.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4