Hayden on FIRE!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Hayden hits more records
From Greg Buckle in St John's, Antigua

MATTHEW Hayden smashed a record-breaking 158 before rain ended play early in Australia's World Cup Super Eight clash with host West Indies today in Antigua.

Brian Lara's Windies will have to wait until tomorrow to chase Australia's 6-322 after the home side did not get to face a ball because of heavy rain.

Hayden's 143-ball knock, his ninth limited-overs century and third in five innings, included 14 fours and four sixes in the first international match played at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground.

His 158 is the highest World Cup score by an Australia player, beating the 143 not out by Andrew Symonds against Pakistan in South Africa in 2003.

Hayden also posted the ninth-highest World Cup score on a list headed by Gary Kirsten's 188 not out for South Africa against United Arab Emirates in 1996.

The big Queenslander smashed a 66-ball hundred last week against South Africa in St Kitts, the fastest century by any player in a World Cup match.

But Hayden faced a totally different challenge today, showing all his powers of concentration on a slow-paced pitch in overcast conditions, in stark contrast to the run-friendly and sun-drenched St Kitts pitch.

Hayden took 19 balls to score his first run today and reached his hundred off 110 balls with eight fours and one six.

The 35-year-old left hander broke a toe while scoring a national record 181 not out against New Zealand last month.

After missing the two World Cup warm-up games, he has made 60, 29, 101 and 158 in the tournament.

Sent in to bat in overcast conditions at the new Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, the Australia opening batsmen struggled early.

Adam Gilchrist fell for 7 with the score on 10 and skipper Ricky Ponting was run out for 35.

Michael Clarke, with two scores in the 90s already in the tournament, scored a brisk 41 in a 98-run stand with Hayden before Clarke was leg-before to Dwayne Bravo at 3-174.

Andrew Symonds looked uncomfortable on the slow-paced pitch and was out for 13 while Mike Hussey, who has failed in four attempts to reach double figures at this World Cup, scored 9.

Hayden reached his 150 with a six over long-on in the 46th over and repeated the shot in the 47th, in an over interrupted by a rain break.

He holed out to long-off in the 48th over.

Shane Watson, groomed as an opening batsman but currently forced to bat at No.7, displayed some of his big-hitting prowess with 33 not out off 26 balls.

Australia coach John Buchanan paid tribute to Hayden and said the efforts of Clarke and Ponting were also important today.

"We don't make 320 without some other contributions along the way," he said.

"We saw Michael Clarke and Ricky Ponting with small innings but they were all partnerships and Shane Watson at the end did a fantastic job for us."

Yeah took him a while to get started. The pitch wasnt that good either so it was a fine effort.

Luckily I added him to my side yesterday during the trade period!!! Should have made him captain though.

Yeah, good on ya haydos.. what a legend!!

To think 6 months ago he wasn't in the team... great turn around.. he is a champion and i can tell you from first hand experience he is a champion bloke too

Yeah took him a while to get started. The pitch wasnt that good either so it was a fine effort.

Luckily I added him to my side yesterday during the trade period!!! Should have made him captain though.

i did the same thing

got 5 players in this match so hoping for a big score

Hey Fluffy, still reckon Australia wont make the semis!!!! hahaha, FOOL!

We only need to beat Ireland and Bangladesh to be assured a semi's berth.

South Africa almost choked again. :lol2:

From 5/182 to 9/212 for the win, Malinga with 4 wickets from 4 balls.

Leaves only Aus and NZ as undefeated so far, NZ play the Windies tonight.

the way they were playing they wouldnt have couldnt win a game after scoring 334 or more 3 games in a row

We all know who the best team in the world is. We smashed SA (pretenders and temporary no 1 team), and the West Indies.

Only a fool would ever write off this Australian team. And you Fluffy, are a fool.

I was expecting more from the West Indies this world cup.. especially being the host nation and they have alot of potential in their team.. bit of a shame really.

You'd be absolutely stoked if like me you had Chris gayle in your sportal team the whole time :lol:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4