Hasler dazzler for NSW coach Manly Daily

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Manly Daily
Jason Avedissian

16Jun07

Des Hasler's passion for the game would serve him well as the NSW coach.

THE passion Manly coach Des Hasler has brought to the Sea Eagles over the past four NRL seasons is what NSW need, according to club boss Grant Mayer.

Hasler has emerged as a surprise contender to fill the job in 2008.

Incumbent NSW coach Graham Murray will be sacked following the Blues series defeat this week.

Mayer believes Hasler would be an ideal candidate.

``We've all seen what Mal Meninga has brought to the Maroons and I think Des has got all those same attributes,'' Mayer said last night.

``He was a very strong and successful player for the Blues and has been the NSW assistant coach (in 2003) before.

``What he's done for Manly this season has been fantastic.''

Former NSW-series winning captain and current assistant to Hasler, Geoff Toovey, said his boss could handle the step-up.

``Des is well and truly capable,'' Toovey said late yesterday.

``He's rebuilt the Manly team for several years and has got the credentials.

``Des brings a tremendous amount of passion to Manly, I can't see why he couldn't bring that to the NSW job.''

Former NSW and Australian prop Steve Roach said Craig Bellamy will get the gig but said Hasler would not look out of depth in the representative arena.

``Of course not, he's done a great job with Manly,'' Roach said.

``I think (Hasler) would be good coaching NSW.''

Mayer said Hasler coaching NSW would not have a negative impact on the Sea Eagles.

``It's more about the game struggling during the Origin period,'' he said.

Hasler took over as Manly head coach from Peter Sharp at the end of 2003 following two years guiding the Premier League squad.

His second season in charge, 2005, saw the Sea Eagles qualify for their first finals campaign in seven years.

The team progressed again in 2006, reaching the second week of the finals before they were eliminated when beaten 28-0 by the Dragons

They don't get fit in a one week camp. SOO is all about getting the best out of oversized egos and utilising passion, combining it with a suitable game plan. I favour Bellamy as next cab off the rank but Des would do the job okay.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2