Has the NRL re-introduced Unlimited Tackles?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Perfect example of these discretionary decisions but this one by the bunker. The Bunker must be blind because Turbo definitely grounded the ball in the try called a try by the ref and then overturned by the Bunker. Further the obvious second tackle on a grounded Walker was considered not a professional foul. Both decisions show an example of poor discretionary decision making, that in a more seriously contested game, could have been vital. I'm surprised that the Bunker was not hauled over the coals for two quite astonishing calls that he obviously got wrong.

remember when Ian Roberts used to rake the ball back in the PTB before they outlawed it? Soooo good...

Except when every 2nd time he would be penalised for striking early or for kicking the ball player in the shin ... also bumfart of the highest order ... a blight on the game ...

Perfect example of these discretionary decisions but this one by the bunker. The Bunker must be blind because Turbo definitely grounded the ball in the try called a try by the ref and then overturned by the Bunker. Further the obvious second tackle on a grounded Walker was considered not a professional foul. Both decisions show an example of poor discretionary decision making, that in a more seriously contested game, could have been vital. I'm surprised that the Bunker was not hauled over the coals for two quite astonishing calls that he obviously got wrong.
there is rarely an admission of fault....

Seriously ... you are upset about ref's having unaccountable control over deciding 6 again's ... and you want the re-setathon scrums that always ended up in a penalty being given to either side for up to 10 different reasons and everyone of them contested by fans brought back ... you are window licking mad ...
scrums were great... it was when the NRL stopped allowing them to be a contest that they began to suck...

once the ball goes in it is up to the forwards to win (or lose) possession...

penalty for striking early (no harder to officiate then a penalty for breaking early) but otherwise fair game....

Be a long time before I will applaud the fact 5 blokes are stronger than one ... crap of the highest order ...
get low in attack near your tryline and stay away from the sideline... it ain't that hard...

If the defensive team can get 5 blokes into a tackle and the offensive team can't get enough blokes there to defend that well who's fault is that?

this is the difference in our approach - you like attacking football whereas I value defence and the contest for the ball...

I am happy as a pig in sh*t to watch a game where nobody scores so long as the two sides hold onto the ball (not a game riddled with errors) and bash the sh*t out of each other...

Except when every 2nd time he would be penalised for striking early
I won't disagree that there was an element of 'craps shooting' to it but then how is that any different to the 1-on-1 strip that is often called for 2 players even when one has dropped off?

there is rarely an admission of fault....

How hard can it be as a Bunker ref, Frank. I take your point but all they have to do is review almost at their leisure, facets of the game. I cant believe how often they get it wrong. And I dont mean a 50/50 call. I could cope with that. But these are actually bad calls. One wonders if they are on the turps or something.

How hard can it be as a Bunker ref, Frank. I take your point but all they have to do is review almost at their leisure, facets of the game. I cant believe how often they get it wrong. And I dont mean a 50/50 call. I could cope with that. But these are actually bad calls. One wonders if they are on the turps or something.
oh I do not disagree with you Bear.... sh*ts me to tears generally....

and don't get me started on the 'protection of the head' crack-down...

how anyone who knows the game can look at that tackle by the Cowboys' Reece Robson and think 'yep that is careless' when he had already leaned in for a tackle at hip-height and had absolutely no opportunity to adjust once the attacker started to slip... well, it has got me well and truly f*cked....

I have always hated refereeing decisions affecting the outcomes of matches. Now with this ridiculous set restart rule PV has given the refs a licence to affect the outcomes and the bunker should have no voice other than when asked. Going back two or three play the balls is just mind numbing. We use to applaud referees who kept their whistle their pockets now the pendulum has swung to stupidville.

I have always hated refereeing decisions affecting the outcomes of matches. Now with this ridiculous set restart rule PV has given the refs a licence to affect the outcomes and the bunker should have no voice other than when asked. Going back two or three play the balls is just mind numbing. We use to applaud referees who kept their whistle their pockets now the pendulum has swung to stupidville.
Could not agree more...

Interesting comments about how hard it is under the new rules to change momentum when it is running against you. Trying to fix it with an act of individual heroism is likely to backfire. Made me think of Turbo's catch-pass in the first half last week that cost us possession when we'd only just got it back, next minute 2 more Titans tries and a moderate lead was suddenly a huge lead. Didn't stop us winning that time, but...

Interesting comments about how hard it is under the new rules to change momentum when it is running against you. Trying to fix it with an act of individual heroism is likely to backfire. Made me think of Turbo's catch-pass in the first half last week that cost us possession when we'd only just got it back, next minute 2 more Titans tries and a moderate lead was suddenly a huge lead. Didn't stop us winning that time, but...
The story in a way actually highlights the potential benefit of the change @Woodsie and others have suggested regarding letting the side that concedes the try receive from the subsequent kickoff.

Tried to find a thread about the new style 'Vlandys-ball' so this will have to do.

Top teams this year really can move the ball around and play some footy. Storm and Panthers have players across the park who can play this style, Souths do as well largely thanks to Walker and their left side backs. Manly can play this same style with our host of play-maker options, the ball can go whizzing from side to side to find the gaps that eventually appear.

Of the top sides, Eels are probably the odd team out in that they rely on a never ending supply of big forwards running straight, on the back of huge Moses kicks, rather than on the ball movement.

I've thought all year that of all the sides Manly is potentially the best at the free-flowing style, and we are showing definite signs of realising that potential. DCE, Foz, Schu, Walker, Jake, Crokes and Cust give us so many options. They probably can't all fit in the team at once but it means even if one or two go down we can still play that style.
And potent runners on the edges too, with the likes of Turbo, Suli, Saab and co
Suli and Walker are widely disparaged here but I can certainly see them both playing roles in Manly's premiership charge this year. I think walker will change a few minds as he gets more practiced at his new role off the bench.
As to the final makeup of the team each week, as always it will depend on who is fit and available.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2