Has the NRL re-introduced Unlimited Tackles?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Momentum always has been always will be king. Both Manly and Melbourne took momentum to a new level this week and it was caused by ruthless attack vs struggling defence. Penalties, set restarts and sin bins played almost no part in these dominant periods.

If anything is causing blow outs it's that the majority of clubs are paying overs for mid tier players and this is breaking their salary caps.
Penalties and restarts played a part, especially in our 2nd half.

Marty got a penalty our way rucking it out off our line.( that could have gone either way).

Lawton got a tackle 5 restart.

Croker got tackle 3 or 4 restart.

There's at least 3 instances where fatigued defences made poor decisions and the momentum compounded, and the tries kept flowing.

Yes momentum has always been king, its never been so hard to reverse like in the current game though.

Clubs have always paid overs for rubbish players.....that's more an indication of the talent pool, and how we develop players, if you happen to believe it's an issue today.

Penalties and restarts played a part, especially in our 2nd half.

Marty got a penalty our way rucking it out off our line.( that could have gone either way).

Lawton got a tackle 5 restart.

Croker got tackle 3 or 4 restart.

There's at least 3 instances where fatigued defences made poor decisions and the momentum compounded, and the tries kept flowing.

Yes momentum has always been king, its never been so hard to reverse like in the current game though.

Clubs have always paid overs for rubbish players.....that's more an indication of the talent pool, and how we develop players, if you happen to believe it's an issue today.
I said almost no part. How would any of those been different 3+ years ago?

Lol.
Are you serious?

Yes, none of those would have been different 3 years ago.

The game hasn't changed at all.
All would've been penalties in the past, two were set restarts under the new rules. That's the only difference.

The main effect of the 6 again rule has been to mitigate the slowing tactics in the ruck. The refs don't get them all right but if they have had an effect it is mostly through deterring teams from illegally slowing down the PTB. Yes this is leading to more points but I'd rather watch tries than wrestling niggling BS.

All would've been penalties in the past, two were set restarts under the new rules. That's the only difference.

The main effect of the 6 again rule has been to mitigate the slowing tactics in the ruck. The refs don't get them all right but if they have had an effect it is mostly through deterring teams from illegally slowing down the PTB. Yes this is leading to more points but I'd rather watch tries than wrestling niggling BS.

That's exactly my point.

Refs calls on the restart can be, and often are. irrelevant.
The deterrent factor is working too well.

Yes, it's leading to more points. Just like BBL leads to better run rates.....to the detriment of one of the other disciplines of the sport.

That's exactly my point.

Yes, it's leading to more points. Just like BBL leads to better run rates.....to the detriment of one of the other disciplines of the sport.
Problem is that channel 9 (and the NRL) have decided that lots of tries equals entertainment... it has nothing to do with a good rugby league contest...

The bulldogs - parra GFs of the early 80s had hardly any tries scored but they were great games of rugby league... imo what we have now is a by-product of the old game that has been manipulated by the rule-makers and the broadcasters to produce 'entertainment'...

some will like it, I don't...

That's exactly my point.

Makes actual defensive skill more important when you can't get away with slow wrestle, 3 man peel and hands all over the ball well after the held call.

How about, if a team is ahead by 10 points or more, any more tries they score are worth 2, and tries by the team behind by 10 or more are worth 5.
A bit left field admittedly, but this could actually wipe out all the lopsided scores we're seeing.
The team leading by ten or more have to lower their shorts to round their ankles until the opposition catch up.

But the 6-agains are just a penalty that is unaccountable imo... same impact on the game but nobody is being held to account for their implementation...

Not when they are pressing on your line and your defense is getting out of shape ... a holding down and a penalty stops play and allows the defense to recalibrate .. six again is a real punishment, play carries on ...

It even got to the point that giving hold down penalties away became a tactic ... and teams had designated holder-downers who decided when a break was needed ... ours was Jake ..

Do away with the six again rule. If a defensive side commits three offenses while the opposition is attacking in their 20 metre zone, send a player to the bin for ten, or until a try is scored, simples!

Not when they are pressing on your line and your defense is getting out of shape ... a holding down and a penalty stops play and allows the defense to recalibrate .. six again is a real punishment, play carries on ...

It even got to the point that giving hold down penalties away became a tactic ... and teams had designated holder-downers who decided when a break was needed ... ours was Jake ..
And he can’t get the tactic out of his head. ;)

That is what I meant by a 'bigger' impact then penalties...
Yet the ref does not have to explain, nor is held accountable in anyway, for a lop-sided 6-again count or for awarding/not-awarding them in similar situations at different points of the game...

I would prefer it to be a penalty with the option of a fast PTB (even in the red zone)...

Refs are just going mad on this BS imo and it has removed the grind out of the game...

As I said, some will like the no-tackle, all offense game that rugby league has become but I think it is like BBL vs test matches - and I like test matches...

Do away with the six again rule. If a defensive side commits three offenses while the opposition is attacking in their 20 metre zone, send a player to the bin for ten, or until a try is scored, simples!
I dont mind this because it is a professional foul so the mechanism already exists...

much better than 10 min for a hip tackle that hit a bloke on the noggin coz he slipped into it...

The fewer discretionary rules in a game, the better and more even a contest. Rather than reducing a ref's power the NRL aims to increase it, which increases the likelihood of referee bias.

This may be construed as sour grapes, but it is obvious that referees see things differently and interpret differently and it can also be an almost unconscious leaning towards one side over the other. Otherwise how can one explain a huge penalty and restart count against a side as opposed to the opponent, yet a week later its swung the other way with a different ref.

Refs are human and therefore far from perfect, so its important to keep them out of the game as much as possible.

I would prefer it to be a penalty with the option of a fast PTB (even in the red zone)...

Boy .. we could have a good blue watching footy ... the only thing I hate worse than contested scrums, is the fast play the ball penalties .... how in the name of sweet Jesu's scrotum is one team allowed to recommence play before the other team is allowed to retire ... they are an abomination and all that encourage them should be cursed ...

The nek minut you will be telling me you like seeing 5 hairy behemoths picking up one player and carrying him 20 feet to the sideline, or driving him back 20m ... WTF has that shiite got to do with rugby league ... if one player did it I would be impressed, if 2 players did it I would probably say fair enough ... but 4 or 5 players ... it's bull****, and when did plastic become okay to cork wine bottles, and who in the hell needs 45 different types of milk to choose from, and no I don't want to answer 24 questions when I buy groceries, just say G'day, bag it and take my money, and yes I know how those eggs are produced and I don't give a shiite, and don't start me on detox, bloody ridiculous nonsense .....................

The fewer discretionary rules in a game, the better and more even a contest. Rather than reducing a ref's power the NRL aims to increase it, which increases the likelihood of referee bias.

This may be construed as sour grapes, but it is obvious that referees see things differently and interpret differently and it can also be an almost unconscious leaning towards one side over the other. Otherwise how can one explain a huge penalty and restart count against a side as opposed to the opponent, yet a week later its swung the other way with a different ref.

Refs are human and therefore far from perfect, so its important to keep them out of the game as much as possible.

And this has been exacerbated by the introduction of the bunker making the decisions on head shots and simply advising the ref what to do ... possibly the two most important decisions in the game are no longer in the ref's hands ... trys and send off's are now 100% controlled by Mr MaGoo and Daffy Duck at a control panel ...

the only thing I hate worse than contested scrums, is the fast play the ball penalties ....
that is effectively what is happening with the 6 again - a new set without allowing your defence to get reset... after 10-12 tackles in a row it is no wonder blokes are not getting back the 10 - they are completely gassed

What is wrong with contested scrum? I used to love that there were opportunities for the defence to recover possession - now there is only the 1-on-1 strip... remember when Ian Roberts used to rake the ball back in the PTB before they outlawed it? Soooo good...

The nek minut you will be telling me you like seeing 5 hairy behemoths picking up one player and carrying him 20 feet to the sideline, or driving him back 20m ...
love it- as long as they dont lift the bloke... the only thing I dont like is that it does not go both ways - ie. You can't push your own player over the tryline

when did plastic become okay to cork wine bottles
dont care... if I am drinking wine then things have got REAL messy and plastic corks is the least of our worries

who in the hell needs 45 different types of milk to choose from
Agree... stupid, how do you milk an almond anyway?

no I don't want to answer 24 questions when I buy groceries, just say G'day, bag it and take my money
You're chattier than me... I like the KFC ad... "Shut up and take my money...!"

I know how those eggs are produced and I don't give a shiite
mmmmm... caged embryos...

don't start me on detox, bloody ridiculous nonsense .....................
Lol... there ain't a detox program long enough...

What is wrong with contested scrum? I used to love that there were opportunities for the defence to recover possession - now there is only the 1-on-1 strip... remember when Ian Roberts used to rake the ball back in the PTB before they outlawed it? Soooo good...

Seriously ... you are upset about ref's having unaccountable control over deciding 6 again's ... and you want the re-setathon scrums that always ended up in a penalty being given to either side for up to 10 different reasons and everyone of them contested by fans brought back ... you are window licking mad ...

love it- as long as they dont lift the bloke... the only thing I dont like is that it does not go both ways - ie. You can't push your own player over the tryline

Be a long time before I will applaud the fact 5 blokes are stronger than one ... crap of the highest order ...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2