Has Parra and the Dogs over committed ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
It seems that the latest furor between the clubs and the NRL stems from the clubs not being happy with their share of the TV revenue nor with how the supposed independent commission wont be very independent from NEWS at all. The clubs currently only receive 23% of the last grossly undervalued TV deal and who is to say that they will receive much more under any new deal. It begs the question have Parra and the Dogs spent money on Hoppa and Des that they dont have and were anticipating on getting increaseed revenue from a deal in the future that may not be what they thought. It can be the only reason why the clubs have threatened a breakaway league they just dont trust that NEWS Ltd wont still have a major say in the supposed independent commission. I support all the clubs forming a new league run by a board of 16 representatives from each club dealing directly with TV deals and sponsorships. The time has come to stop NEWS dominance in running the game to their own advantage instead of the clubs,the players and the fans.

yeah, i was thinking this the other day. They have spent up big time.

If the independent commission and the new tv deal dont happen (or is less then expected), therefore clubs not recieveing extra revenue, i would seriously be looking into dogs and eels for breach of salary cap.

Parra maybe, but the dogs no.

The dogs spent big on Des, but there is no salary cap on coaches plus they have a rich Leagues Club that is footing the bill.

Parra may be different though. Although I have no doubt they can afford Hoppa, he must fit under the cap. If the cap doesn't rise significantly by 2014, they may have over comitted. Time will tell.

Wouldn't be surprised if today's story was them pushing the hardest, the extra $$ would be great for us I think as it would help retain our premier winning team and be able to get into the market again

mcatt said:
Parra maybe, but the dogs no.

The dogs spent big on Des, but there is no salary cap on coaches plus they have a rich Leagues Club that is footing the bill.

Parra may be different though. Although I have no doubt they can afford Hoppa, he must fit under the cap. If the cap doesn't rise significantly by 2014, they may have over comitted. Time will tell.

I think this is right. The Dogs have overpaid for quite a few players (eg Hodko) but I don't think they did it on the basis of an expectation that the cap would go up. They did it because they are idiots and they actually thought the players they signed were worth that much.

Parra on the other hand are relying on an increase, otherwise Hoppa will be playing by himself.

Go it alone, and you get rid of Gallop. He's a News Ltd puppet that the IC has to have as CEO as part of their deal to exit the game.

Hey Mick I was thinking the same thing. I kind of don't want the new TV rights money just yet or for at least the next 4 years to see if it would then squeeze the likes of the Slime and scumdogs but as a few have mentioned those clubs are rich enough and get funding from the leagues club that it probably wouldn't affect them. It would do more harm to our club most likely.

OneEyedEagle said:
Hey Mick I was thinking the same thing. I kind of don't want the new TV rights money just yet or for at least the next 4 years to see if it would then squeeze the likes of the Slime and scumdogs but as a few have mentioned those clubs are rich enough and get funding from the leagues club that it probably wouldn't affect them. It would do more harm to our club most likely.

I haven't paid much attention to it, so my knowledge of the details is thin, but it will be interesting to see what happens with the proposed pokie laws. By the sounds of it, if they are passed it could significantly hurt those clubs that rely heavily on their League's Clubs.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6