Harry’s mid-season Hypothetic..

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

Thinking of our direction for 2020 after a solid half-mark to 2019. Now, before reading prepare to be a little open minded because this is a tad out there, particularly in regards to one position. Ill start with the most controversial, Dane Gagai, a player who at first thought is an instant no, may actually be a worthy target. Wants to play centre and is apparently leaving souffs because he falls behind Roberts (at current). For 2020, as a centre replacement for Dylan Walker. Gagai is not a consistent star but, like William Hopoate does a job, can defend well and perform on the big stage. He is a reasonably good distributor of the ball and would link up well with Garrick or maybe Taufua if we opt to retain big Horhay. We would probably expect to see Hoppa overtake Taufua eventually in 2020.

Then we focus on developing our depth and refining our forwards. For the latter, we release Thompson to allow him to sign in England and move Taupau to an edge to play a crucial, Burgess-like 80 minute role. Des likes innovation, and that move has worked wonders for the Rabbits, would apply briliiantly here as well imo. Then, sign Welch, a reliable, incredibly hard-working and clinical forward to start alongside AFB, promoting variety in the forwards. Lets hope Paseka can provide punch off the bench (and aggression like he had during that Panthers game), with a repaired Sipley who was playing possessed before his unfortunate injury. Depth can be signed with releases to players such as Lloyd Perrett, Trent Hodkinson and maybe Kane Elgey.

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Albert Hopoate/Jorge Taufua
3. Dane Gagai
4. Brad Parker
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Cade Cust
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Christian Welch
9. Apisai Korisau
10. Addin Fonua-Blake
11. Martin Taupau
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic
14. Manese Fainu
15. Toafofoa Sipley
16. Corey Waddell
17. Taniela Paseka

INS: Dane Gagai, Christian Welch
+ depth signings such as Luke Bateman (not John Bateman), Josh Aloiai (however its spelt), Kyle Turner
OUTS: Dylan Walker, Joel Thompson
+ (salary cap restriction ends)
+ Depth: Trent Hodkinson, Kane Elgey, Lloyd Perrett, more

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking of our direction for 2020 after a solid half-mark to 2019. Now, before reading prepare to be a little open minded because this is a tad out there, particularly in regards to one position. Ill start with the most controversial, Dane Gagai, a player who at first thought is an instant no, may actually be a worthy target. Wants to play centre and is apparently leaving souffs because he falls behind Roberts (at current). For 2020, as a centre replacement for Dylan Walker. Gagai is not a consistent star but, like William Hopoate does a job, can defend well and perform on the big stage. He is a reasonably good distributor of the ball and would link up well with Garrick or maybe Taufua if we opt to retain big Horhay.

Then we focus on developing our depth and refining our forwards. For the latter, we release Thompson to allow him to sign in England and move Taupau to an edge to play a crucial, Burgess-like 80 minute role. Des likes innovation, and that move has worked wonders for the Rabbits, would apply briliiantly here as well imo. Then, sign Welch, a reliable, incredibly hard-working and clinical forward to start alongside AFB, promoting variety in the forwards. Lets hope Paseka can provide punch off the bench (and aggression like he had during that Panthers game), with a repaired Sipley who was playing possessed before his unfortunate injury. Depth can be signed with releases to players such as Lloyd Perrett, Trent Hodkinson and maybe Kane Elgey.

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dane Gagai
4. Brad Parker
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Cade Cust
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Christian Welch
9. Apisai Korisau
10. Addin Fonua-Blake
11. Martin Taupau
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic
14. Manese Fainu
15. Toafofoa Sipley
16. Corey Waddell
17. Taniela Paseka

INS: Dane Gagai, Christian Welch
+ depth signings such as Luke Bateman (not John Bateman) and Kyle Turner
OUTS: Dylan Walker, Joel Thompson
+ (salary cap restriction ends)
+ Depth: Trent Hodkinson, Kane Elgey, Lloyd Perrett, more
I disagree about Walker & I hope we sign him long term. On his day he’s a gun centre! He seems to be lacking confidence right now but hopefully it will come back sooner rather than later & with a few more games under his belt he’ll be a handful! Like I said I hope he signs long term......just my opinion!

When we first signed Kapow I thought maybe he could make it as an edge backrower. Nowadays I'm convinced he is a middle forward and that's it. Rather we looked for a forward with some impact and ball playing ability for that left edge Someone like Wade Graham, Bateman, Matterson, Kikau etc DCE and Siro can probably spark the right side up OK, but that left edge needs some work especially if we are sticking with Cust.

Gagai wouldn't really be an upgrade on Walker IMO so what's the point ? Only upside is his ability to cover fullback I suppose. I don't know about that backline, I just look at it and it doesn't excite me outside of Turbo.. By the way what are you doing with Suli ?

When we first signed Kapow I thought maybe he could make it as an edge backrower. Nowadays I'm convinced he is a middle forward and that's it. Rather we looked for a forward with some impact and ball playing ability for that left edge Someone like Wade Graham, Bateman, Matterson, Kikau etc DCE and Siro can probably spark the right side up OK, but that left edge needs some work especially if we are sticking with Cust.

Gagai wouldn't really be an upgrade on Walker IMO so what's the point ? Only upside is his ability to cover fullback I suppose. I don't know about that backline, I just look at it and it doesn't excite me outside of Turbo.. By the way what are you doing with Suli ?
I was the opposite. When we signed Taupau I thought prop, and agree that he’s been needed there and doing a fantastic job there, although he is much more of a leader now, and to preserve both his minutes, and career, a spot in the backrow (strengthening up the edge with Cade Cust) will resolve the Taupau and AFB problem. That problem, as we all have seen many times this season, is that when Tauapu and Afb go off, manly slump. How do we keep one on at all times yet not lose the forward strength we have the way they provide it at the moment? We move Taupau to second-row, and sign a workhorse like Welch (Cam Murray-like) to continually drive the engine-room!

@madmax As for Dane Gagai and Walker. Im not actually against Walker, and am happy to give him time, although looking at the trends in defence since his return worries me a little, though a replacement like Gagai may not be required afterall. Still, he could be a good signing should Walker not develop his game and confidence more (and consistently), providing defencive improvement, leadership and ball handling options out on that side. His running game is certainly a downgrade to walker’s though. Depends how much $$ walker wants

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 👍
Reactions: R3
I was the opposite. When we signed Taupau I thought prop, and agree that he’s been needed there and doing a fantastic job there, although he is much more of a leader now, and to preserve both his minutes, and career, a spot in the backrow (strengthening up the edge with Cade Cust) will resolve the Taupau and AFB problem. That problem, as we all have seen many times this season, is that when Tauapu and Afb go off, manly slump. How do we keep one on at all times yet not lose the forward strength we have the way they provide it at the moment? We move Taupau to second-row, and sign a workhorse like Welch (Cam Murray-like) to continually drive the engine-room!

@madmax As for Dane Gagai and Walker. Im not actually against Walker, and am happy to give him time, although looking at the trends in defence since his return worries me a little, though a replacement like Gagai may not be required afterall. Still, he could be a good signing should Walker not develop his game and confidence more (and consistently), providing defencive improvement, leadership and ball handling options out on that side. His running game is certainly a downgrade to walker’s though. Depends how much $$ walker wants
As much as it saddens me to say...I looked at the Warriors backline today after teams announced and that excited me. So much power, speed and talent. Almost wished they were our numbers 1-5. I'm just not sure about our wingers tbh. Jorge and Reuben just don't excite me. Jorge is powerful and makes some hard runs but is terribly slow and doesn't get involved enough..Reuben does little wrong and kicks a nice goal but lets be real - hasn't exactly ignited Brookie yet with any X factor. I think a couple of high impact wingers like a Rapana and Maumolo type combo would do wonders for our attack and definately put more bums on seats.

Walker is on too much money for the return. Someone said he manages 4 good games a year...well that's just not good enough. Gagai would cost even more and is a pretty average club performer game by game. A SOO hero but that don't win us games.

I like neither.

Taupau is good value @ 700k.

Reuben does little wrong and kicks a nice goal but lets be real - hasn't exactly ignited Brookie yet with any X factor. I think a couple of high impact wingers like a Rapana and Maumolo type combo would do wonders for our attack and definately put more bums on seats.

Deli has received the ball maybe 3 times this year without having to go hunt it.

I like the wingers you named but we don't have that kind of money for wingers. Period.

I like Gagai but he's being replaced by Brayden Burns, not James Roberts. James replaces GI. Burns is some guy who has potential but has actually done nothing in the game and has been injured since game 3 or something. That's how highly rated Gagai is in Bennett's eyes. That is, not very highly.

As much as it saddens me to say...I looked at the Warriors backline today after teams announced and that excited me. So much power, speed and talent. Almost wished they were our numbers 1-5. I'm just not sure about our wingers tbh. Jorge and Reuben just don't excite me. Jorge is powerful and makes some hard runs but is terribly slow and doesn't get involved enough..Reuben does little wrong and kicks a nice goal but lets be real - hasn't exactly ignited Brookie yet with any X factor. I think a couple of high impact wingers like a Rapana and Maumolo type combo would do wonders for our attack and definately put more bums on seats.
I agree. Taufua’s days may be numbered. Garrick im still a fan of, certainly has potential and is very calm. Just about finding suited replacements. Gagai isn’t the be all and end all for the centre spot should Walks be let go either, but not too many quality backs off contract, then again contracts are irrelevant in this day and age

I disagree about Walker & I hope we sign him long term. On his day he’s a gun centre! He seems to be lacking confidence right now but hopefully it will come back sooner rather than later & with a few more games under his belt he’ll be a handful! Like I said I hope he signs long term......just my opinion!
Unfortunately, his days are few and far between... to the point he is not worth the money he commands. Should we be paying top star money for a guy who is consistently out (for whatever reason) and needs excuses to find his form?

How many weeks of footy did waltz miss taking into account his injury last year and suspension this year?

My memory says the beginning of both seasons

Only asking as being a confidence player ( sometimes too much ) he would require games under his belt to feel the game and work best with those around him

I am willing to give him more time to get to where we need him

I think Des will too

If Brad Parker had not excelled this year and to a lesser degree Moses played like last year we would not be asking the question about axing DW

Rather we would be asking who would partner him

I suspect this will be Jorge's last year if we want more strike out wide. Get a tall strike winger on decent money (raid the Warriors!)
As for a ball playing forward to replace Thommo, we may not need that as we already have Jake and Siro. I'm sure we want to keep Thommo, the sticking point will be length of contract, and he may end up taking a longer deal OS, with our blessing. If so, replace him with a similar hard nut Sims type.
All this depends on either Cust or Croker establishing themselves at 5/8. If neither do, then that remains our bigger problem.

Parker was being bagged by most punters at the start of the year, but his performances (mostly in defence) have turned that around. Now many are bagging Walker. Let's hope he has a blinder, sooner rather than later, to bring the doubters back on board.
Im not bagging walker, had some good runs against the sharks. Just saying that for his pricetag he isn’t consistently bringing enough (or at least hasn’t been since 2018). Time is still there for him but he needs to genuinly earn it

I really really hope Walker isn't signed beyond this year. Everyone talks about how great he can be... I haven't seen any of it in 3 years... add in his poor discipline record on the field, and I don't think we owe him or need him at all.

How many weeks of footy did waltz miss taking into account his injury last year and suspension this year?

My memory says the beginning of both seasons

Only asking as being a confidence player ( sometimes too much ) he would require games under his belt to feel the game and work best with those around him

I am willing to give him more time to get to where we need him

I think Des will too

If Brad Parker had not excelled this year and to a lesser degree Moses played like last year we would not be asking the question about axing DW

Rather we would be asking who would partner him
Walker has has plenty of chances to impress at Manly, and hasn't. He's got to go.

One of the big disappointments so far this year has been the injury to A Hoppa. Was hoping we might have got a sneak preview of what we have on our hands talent wise and whether he is likely to be pushing for a NRL spot next year. If the kid is half as good as the wraps on him then he may be that X factor we lack on the wings. But sadly it'll be another year before we know that now - so how does that affect our recruitment for outside backs ?? Same same with Funa and Kioa - virtually very little footy from these guys either so no idea what they can bring to the table. When you look at young talent like Ponga, Xerri, Papenhuyzen, Brimson etc that other clubs have brought on - it'd be nice to know if we have something like that that can make the step up.

I would be preparing the way for two juniors coming through next year in Schuster and Ben Trbojevic. Lets be honest Cust is a half back and a good one, good defender, seems quite good at setting the play and has set up a few tries. Croker is solid, tough, good defender but I wonder regarding setting the play up. Someone like Schuster is a natural play maker and has the skills to set a backline afire. May not happen immediately and he may be used at first in the forwards but I see him as a future explosive 5/8 if he continues to develop as he has been.

Then there's Ben Trbojevic. He has shown skills as both a backrower and an effective centre. I can see him in the John Macdonald style from way back, a kind of Menzies like runner who could be the answer to our centre issues. Alongside Suli, Parker or Walker, he could be a serious surprise packet.

As for Gagai, fine centre but he's 28 and will be 29 at the start of next year. He's on a 4 year contract from 2018 with Souths which means to buy his last two years out will cost us extras. Could be a good buy, but is it worth it when we need the money to ensure we keep players coming through. Forwards tend to get to their best approaching the 30s, whereas backs, especially outside backs, tend to slow down.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8