Happy Birthday Mal Reilly

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Happy Birthday to our Greatest forward Mal Reilly .
Enforcer , Brutal Forward and Brilliant skills of a 5/8 . Mal was Simply Great
Sea Eagles from 1971–75.
Player #204.
Played 89 games.
Position: Lock.
Pre-Season Wills Cup Debut:
February 19, 1971 (Rd 1).
NSWRFL First Grade Debut:
March 28, 1971 (Rd 1).
🏆
Lance Todd.
🏆
Grand Final.
🏆
Grand Final.
1974 Amco Cup Golden Try.
1973–77
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
England.
2006 MWSE Dream Team.
2014 UK RFL Hall Of Fame.
Junior Club: Castleford.
1642620877835.png

Talk about baby faced assassins. This guy makes Les Boyd look like a choirboy.
Rugby league was a far far different beast back in those days. You'll rarely see a photo of the likes of Reilly, Fulton or O'Neil smiling or looking relaxed on the field, it was quite a deadly serious exercise.

Happy birthday champ.

Rugby league was a far far different beast back in those days. You'll rarely see a photo of the likes of Reilly, Fulton or O'Neil smiling or looking relaxed on the field, it was quite a deadly serious exercise.

Happy birthday champ.
Talk about baby faced assassins. This guy makes Les Boyd look like a choirboy. Classic !

Happy birthday champ.
Yes feathered friend , Reilly , Fulton , Oneil were deadly . They Killed the opposition

Happy Birthday to our Greatest forward Mal Reilly .
Enforcer , Brutal Forward and Brilliant skills of a 5/8 . Mal was Simply Great
Sea Eagles from 1971–75.
Player #204.
Played 89 games.
Position: Lock.
Pre-Season Wills Cup Debut:
February 19, 1971 (Rd 1).
NSWRFL First Grade Debut:
March 28, 1971 (Rd 1).
🏆
Lance Todd.
🏆
Grand Final.
🏆
Grand Final.
1974 Amco Cup Golden Try.
1973–77
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
England.
2006 MWSE Dream Team.
2014 UK RFL Hall Of Fame.
Junior Club: Castleford.
View attachment 20084
1st Manly game I went to in Feb 1971 after arriving from the UK in 1970, all my Oz mates were against Manly and shouting for lurch to give it to the Pom, from memory we lost and Mal was pretty quiet in his first game, from that day I went for the sea eagles and never looked back, my mates just couldn't understand why, I said Mal's a pom, so am I, but not anymore I'm Oz thru and thru.

1st Manly game I went to in Feb 1971 after arriving from the UK in 1970, all my Oz mates were against Manly and shouting for lurch to give it to the Pom, from memory we lost and Mal was pretty quiet in his first game, from that day I went for the sea eagles and never looked back, my mates just couldn't understand why, I said Mal's a pom, so am I, but not anymore I'm Oz thru and thru.
Thanks for sharing your Great Manly Moment @cc eagle .

That must have been Mals only quite game as he was known to be a very imposing and dominant player
for us

I am not a Pom and I am not a Narrabeean . I just love Bozo and Manly :)

1642641695138.png

My childhood hero. Met him in Castleford once in 1975. I was in awe of the guy. Hard to forgive him for 1997 but.
Thank you for sharing your great Manly Moment feathered friend .

The best forward I have ever seen . Plenty of skill and all the toughness of an enforcer that has the ability to Kill .

I had the pleasure to meet him when I was the Duty Manager of Brighton RSL

Mal was there in a friends reunion having a drink and I gave him another drink on the house and told him he was my Manly Hero and the greatest forward ever .

Mal was such a cool and charismatic and confident character and the most impressively is that he was humble

Our Legendary club is more than just a club it is a proud history of Great Manly people and Great acheivements

BE PROUD TO BELOND

20210110_081944.jpg

Good era for Pommie imports during that early to mid 70 "s for Manly . Mal Reilly no doubt the best performed but Phil Lowe and Steve Norton also very good for most of their Manly stints . Think that Knocker Norton arrived just after Mal and Phil Lowe left Manly but Reilly and Lowe in the Manly pack made it pretty formidable . Lowe certainly had a good turn of pace , probably right up there with many current quicker type back rowers . Arko always liked the solid and pacey type back rowers and recruited many . Lowe and then Bruce Walker , Les Boyd , Paul Mc Cabe Fatty Vautin , Ron Gibbs and Crusher Cleal . Very rarely got it wrong

Good era for Pommie imports during that early to mid 70 "s for Manly . Mal Reilly no doubt the best performed but Phil Lowe and Steve Norton also very good for most of their Manly stints . Think that Knocker Norton arrived just after Mal and Phil Lowe left Manly but Reilly and Lowe in the Manly pack made it pretty formidable . Lowe certainly had a good turn of pace , probably right up there with many current quicker type back rowers . Arko always liked the solid and pacey type back rowers and recruited many . Lowe and then Bruce Walker , Les Boyd , Paul Mc Cabe Fatty Vautin , Ron Gibbs and Crusher Cleal . Very rarely got it wrong
Speaking of Pommie Imports ...

Joe Lydon was one but not for our club

Have a look at him scoring a try against the best team in the biggest premiership game of the year

Have a look at his Speed , His Skill , his great Balance and Power to score one of the most thrilling try ever .

Feast your eyes on this .... FMD !!!

Speaking of Pommie Imports ...

Joe Lydon was one but not for our club

Have a look at him scoring a try against the best team in the biggest premiership game of the year

Have a look at his Speed , His Skill , his great Balance and Power to score one of the most thrilling try ever .

Feast your eyes on this .... FMD !!!

Wow , pretty special effort , high skill level and excellent speed , must have had a decent soccer background also . Recall Joe Lydon scoring a very impressive try from full back for England against a touring Australian side in the early 90 "s or so . Can "t recall him playing in the Australian comp [ however think that Manly may have been interested at one stage but wouldn 't have come cheap ] A gifted and fast player for sure .

Wow , pretty special effort , high skill level and excellent speed , must have had a decent soccer background also . Recall Joe Lydon scoring a very impressive try from full back for England against a touring Australian side in the early 90 "s or so . Can "t recall him playing in the Australian comp [ however think that Manly may have been interested at one stage but wouldn 't have come cheap ] A gifted and fast player for sure .
Very talented player indeed who excelled at fullback centre and wing
He played for the Roosters for couple of years

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2