Happy Australia Day!

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
Happy Straya Day Silvertails. I hope everyone has a great day with family and friends enjoying a - magically responsible - drink or two.. Hoping people affected by the bushfires can take a moment to relax for at least a short time. Put up your Manly flags as well as your Aussie flags.
Thoughts also to Indigenous Australians who are unable to celebrate due to this particular date. It would be nice to agree on a date so that all Australians are happy to party on together. As long as we have a public holiday, perhaps two, I don't mind whatever date we pick.
Rock on peeps. Go Manly!

Happy Straya Day Silvertails. I hope everyone has a great day with family and friends enjoying a - magically responsible - drink or two.. Hoping people affected by the bushfires can take a moment to relax for at least a short time. Put up your Manly flags as well as your Aussie flags.
Thoughts also to Indigenous Australians who are unable to celebrate due to this particular date. It would be nice to agree on a date so that all Australians are happy to party on together. As long as we have a public holiday, perhaps two, I don't mind whatever date we pick.
Rock on peeps. Go Manly!

Have a great day nicci, Well said

God bless Australia and the Manly Sea eagles club

Passionate and proud people make their Country and Club great

Once we develop a sense of what it means to live in our great Country and what it means to be a Manly Sea eagles fan

We take an active role as an Australian citizen and as a Manly Sea eagle fan by becoming a club member

Fly the Australian and Manly Sea eagles flag with pride

Make your mark by making our Country and Club great

There is a club membership pack available to suit every ones budget

Our club membership team is waiting for your call 02 99703000.

Lets do it !!!
262123856501.jpg

Last edited:
My wedding anniversary.... 44 years and still punching (figuratively speaking, not literally).
I was wise to get married on this date as it is very hard to forget.
Keep this in mind you younger Eagles.
Congratulations feathered friend . Looks like you married your soul mate
True love is growing old together

Rock on peeps. Go Manly!
Hi @niccipops . I received this email yesterday. Knowing you are a teacher. And one that gets to shape young minds in all facets of life. I was hoping you would read this email, and give me your thoughts on it, and the way we go about teaching the future population about Australia Day.
Even though it does take a swipe at educators, I am in no way having a go at you. I respect you and your thoughts 100%.

THIS IS A MUST READ BY ALL
AUSTRALIANS
Captain Cook did not arrive in Australia on the 26th of January.

The Landing of Captain Cook in Sydney happened on the 28th of April 1770 – not on the 26th of January 1770. The First Fleet arrived in Botany Bay on the 18th of January. The 26th was chosen as Australia Day for a different reason; however, Captain Cook’s landing was included in Australia Day celebrations as a reminder of a significant historical event.

Since the extravagant bicentenary celebrations of 1988, when Sydney-siders decided Captain Cook’s landing should become the focus of the Australia Day commemoration, the importance of this date for all Australians has begun to fade.

Now, a generation later, it’s all but lost.

This is because our politicians and educators have not been doing a good job promoting the day. Our politicians have not been advertising the real reason for Australia Day, and our educators have not been teaching our children the importance of the 26th of January to all Australians.

The media, as usual, is happy to twist the truth for the sake of controversy.

In recent years, the media has helped fan the flames of discontent among the Aboriginal community. Many are now so offended by what they see as a celebration of the beginning of the darkest days of Aboriginal history, they want the date changed.

Various local Councils are seeking to remove themselves from Australia Day celebrations, even refusing to participate in citizenship ceremonies, and calls are going out to have Australia Day on a different day.

The big question is, why has the Government allowed this misconception to continue?

Captain Cook didn’t land on the 26th of January. So changing the date of any celebration of Captain Cook’s landing would not have any impact on Australia Day, but maybe it would clear the way for the truth about Australia Day.

The reality is, the Aborigines in this country suffered terribly under the hands of British colonialism. This is as much Australia’s history as the landing of the first fleet, and both should be remembered, equally. Both should be taught, side by side, in our schools.

Australians of today abhor what was done under British governance to the Aborigines. We abhor what was done under British governance to the Irish and many other cultures around the world. So, after the horrors of WWII we decided to fix it.

We became our own people.

On the 26th of January 1949, the Australian nationality came into existence when the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted. That was the day we were first called Australians and allowed to travel with Passports as Australians.

Under the Nationality Act 1920 (Cth), all Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders born after January 1, 1921 gained the status of British subjects. In 1949, therefore, they automatically became Australian citizens under the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948.

Before that special date, all people living in Australia, including Aborigines born after 1921, were called ‘British Subjects’ and forced to travel on British Passports and fight in British wars.

We all became Australians on the same day!

This is why we celebrate Australia Day on the 26th of January!

This was the day Australians became free to make our own decisions about which wars we would fight and how our citizens would be treated. It was the day Aborigines were declared Australians.

Until this date, Aborigines were not protected by law. For the first time since Cook’s landing, this new Act gave Aboriginal Australians by inference and precedent the full protection of Australian law.

Because of this Act, the government became free to help Aborigines, and since that day much has been done to assist Aboriginal Australians, including saying ‘sorry’ for the previous atrocities done before this law came into being.

This was a great day for all Australians!

This is why the 26th of January is the day new Australians receive their citizenship. It is a day which celebrates the implementation of the Nationality and Citizenship Act of 1948 – the Act which gave freedom and protection to the first Australians and gives all Australians, old and new, the right to live under the protection of Australian Law, united as one nation.

Now, isn’t that cause for celebration?

Education is key! There is a great need for education on the real reason we celebrate Australia Day on the 26th of January. This reason needs to be advertised and taught in schools. We all need to remember this one very special day in Australia’s history, when freedom came to all Australians.

What was achieved that day is something for which all Australians can be proud!

We need to remember both the good and the bad in our history, but the emphasis must be the freedom and unity all Australians now have, because of what was done on the 26th of January 1949, to allow all of us to live without fear in a land of peace.

Isn’t it time all Australians were taught the real reason we celebrate Australia Day?

Hi @niccipops . I received this email yesterday. Knowing you are a teacher. And one that gets to shape young minds in all facets of life. I was hoping you would read this email, and give me your thoughts on it, and the way we go about teaching the future population about Australia Day.
Even though it does take a swipe at educators, I am in no way having a go at you. I respect you and your thoughts 100%.

AUSTRALIANS

The Landing of Captain Cook in Sydney happened on the 28th of April 1770 – not on the 26th of January 1770. The First Fleet arrived in Botany Bay on the 18th of January. The 26th was chosen as Australia Day for a different reason; however, Captain Cook’s landing was included in Australia Day celebrations as a reminder of a significant historical event.

Since the extravagant bicentenary celebrations of 1988, when Sydney-siders decided Captain Cook’s landing should become the focus of the Australia Day commemoration, the importance of this date for all Australians has begun to fade.

This is because our politicians and educators have not been doing a good job promoting the day. Our politicians have not been advertising the real reason for Australia Day, and our educators have not been teaching our children the importance of the 26th of January to all Australians.

In recent years, the media has helped fan the flames of discontent among the Aboriginal community. Many are now so offended by what they see as a celebration of the beginning of the darkest days of Aboriginal history, they want the date changed.

Various local Councils are seeking to remove themselves from Australia Day celebrations, even refusing to participate in citizenship ceremonies, and calls are going out to have Australia Day on a different day.

The big question is, why has the Government allowed this misconception to continue?

Captain Cook didn’t land on the 26th of January. So changing the date of any celebration of Captain Cook’s landing would not have any impact on Australia Day, but maybe it would clear the way for the truth about Australia Day.

The reality is, the Aborigines in this country suffered terribly under the hands of British colonialism. This is as much Australia’s history as the landing of the first fleet, and both should be remembered, equally. Both should be taught, side by side, in our schools.

Australians of today abhor what was done under British governance to the Aborigines. We abhor what was done under British governance to the Irish and many other cultures around the world. So, after the horrors of WWII we decided to fix it.

On the 26th of January 1949, the Australian nationality came into existence when the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted. That was the day we were first called Australians and allowed to travel with Passports as Australians.

Under the Nationality Act 1920 (Cth), all Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders born after January 1, 1921 gained the status of British subjects. In 1949, therefore, they automatically became Australian citizens under the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948.

Before that special date, all people living in Australia, including Aborigines born after 1921, were called ‘British Subjects’ and forced to travel on British Passports and fight in British wars.

This was the day Australians became free to make our own decisions about which wars we would fight and how our citizens would be treated. It was the day Aborigines were declared Australians.

Until this date, Aborigines were not protected by law. For the first time since Cook’s landing, this new Act gave Aboriginal Australians by inference and precedent the full protection of Australian law.

Because of this Act, the government became free to help Aborigines, and since that day much has been done to assist Aboriginal Australians, including saying ‘sorry’ for the previous atrocities done before this law came into being.

This is why the 26th of January is the day new Australians receive their citizenship. It is a day which celebrates the implementation of the Nationality and Citizenship Act of 1948 – the Act which gave freedom and protection to the first Australians and gives all Australians, old and new, the right to live under the protection of Australian Law, united as one nation.

Education is key! There is a great need for education on the real reason we celebrate Australia Day on the 26th of January. This reason needs to be advertised and taught in schools. We all need to remember this one very special day in Australia’s history, when freedom came to all Australians.

We need to remember both the good and the bad in our history, but the emphasis must be the freedom and unity all Australians now have, because of what was done on the 26th of January 1949, to allow all of us to live without fear in a land of peace.

Isn’t it time all Australians were taught the real reason we celebrate Australia Day?
Wow, this is so full of misinformation and twisting of facts that it makes me ill. Why is this even mentioning Cook? His arrival in Australia has nothing to do with Australia day. Yes the first fleet arrived around a week earlier than the 26th. But it was the 26th that Phillip claimed the land in the name of the King. The Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was passed to mark Australia day. What's more Aboriginal people were not given full citizen status until much later.
The Commonwealth Electoral Act 1949 gave Aboriginal people the right to vote in federal elections only if they were able to vote in their state elections (they were disqualified from voting altogether in Queensland, while in Western Australia and the Northern Territory the right was conditional), or if they had served in the defence force. From 1944 until 1967 Aboriginal people in Western Australia had to apply to become citizens, and this citizenship was conditional on denouncing their heritage and could be taken away at any time.
The 1967 Referendum did not grant citizenship rights. The National and Citizenship Act 1948 had given citizenship to all Australians previously deemed British subjects, including Aboriginal people. In Western Australia, citizenship had been given through the Natives (Citizenship Rights) Act 1944.
However, Aboriginal people still had to apply for citizenship and meet certain criteria. Meeting this criteria meant removing themselves from their community and culture.This Act was not repealed until 1971.
Please don't believe everything you read in an email.
*Or do....I am actually a Nigerian prince and if you will just loan me $1000 I will reclaim my throne an repay you 1000 time!!!!

AUSTRALIANS

Great post Wombat.
Certainly educational to me.
It certainly is a shame that this has rarely been put out there and if it has I've not been aware of it...

Wow, this is so full of misinformation and twisting of facts that it makes me ill. Why is this even mentioning Cook? His arrival in Australia has nothing to do with Australia day. Yes the first fleet arrived around a week earlier than the 26th. But it was the 26th that Phillip claimed the land in the name of the King. The Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was passed to mark Australia day. What's more Aboriginal people were not given full citizen status until much later.
The Commonwealth Electoral Act 1949 gave Aboriginal people the right to vote in federal elections only if they were able to vote in their state elections (they were disqualified from voting altogether in Queensland, while in Western Australia and the Northern Territory the right was conditional), or if they had served in the defence force. From 1944 until 1967 Aboriginal people in Western Australia had to apply to become citizens, and this citizenship was conditional on denouncing their heritage and could be taken away at any time.
The 1967 Referendum did not grant citizenship rights. The National and Citizenship Act 1948 had given citizenship to all Australians previously deemed British subjects, including Aboriginal people. In Western Australia, citizenship had been given through the Natives (Citizenship Rights) Act 1944.
However, Aboriginal people still had to apply for citizenship and meet certain criteria. Meeting this criteria meant removing themselves from their community and culture.This Act was not repealed until 1971.
*Or do....I am actually a Nigerian prince and if you will just loan me $1000 I will reclaim my throne an repay you 1000 time!!!!
See this is exactly why www.Silvertails.net @Dan is better than the rest.
I love picking people’s brains. Just because I’m an average bloke, doesn’t mean I don’t love to learn. (I would love for more ppl on ST, to tell us what they know and do for a job, but understand ppl are reluctant to say these things. Again I say this is the difference between MSM and Silvertails. I don’t care what degree or no degree you have,I want to hear your story. And from that I learn.).
I may be 52, but you never stop learning right to the death

Just to update, it was my other half’s Aunty, who has helped support us , and gives the best Christmas presents you can imagine. So while I’m not all in on her philosophies, I’m not stupid enough to disagree either.(and she also lives at the forefront of Warriewood beach). So she can send me something like ISIS is the go, and I’ll agree with her.

Last edited:

AUSTRALIANS

Hi Wombat.
I completely agree that there is misinformation being taught to students about Australia Day. The reference to Captain Cook planting the flag is still mentioned. I teach Year 1 and we begin the school year the day after the Australia Day holiday. I teach them that Australia Day is a day that all Australians can celebrate that we live in our great country. I also tell them that some Australian families don't celebrate this day. I don't go into anything more because that's enough for their little 5 and 6 year old brains to handle.
What I can tell you that is that Indigenous history and points of view are now being taught from primary middle years and beyond. There's still a long way to go but education about Australia's real history is improving.
Unfortunately Australia is still quite a sexist and racist country - not meant to offend - but we are way behind many other countries.
All we can do is keep educating and hope to shape good future leaders. Who knows, maybe one of my 5-6 year old will be PM one day.
Thanks for the post.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2