Gutherson on the cheap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'd have him back in a heartbeat, as a winger over every other one we have apart from Tom Trbojevic.

I am amazed that people would think he would come back so easily. He is a local kid, signs a new contract and then is shipped off to another club (and the first i heard of him wanting a release was a post a couple of days ago)

Yes he had to agree to go but why would he so easily come back to a club that decided other players were ahead of him? We seem to forget loyalty is a two way street

I was under the impression that after Baz told him that he was at best our 4th choice fullback behind Snake, Peta (before he too left) and Tom, and that with the players we had he would likely be playing mostly in NSW Cup at least until any combination of Snake, Killer and Skivy were gone, Gutho was also told that he was free to shop around if he wished to. As he obviously had former Manly team mates now playing for the Speels (plus Arthur's desire to try and steal our winning culture), they snapped him up where to his credit he is at the very least going a long way to cementing a first grade spot.

But I don't think he specifically asked for a release.

Would I want Gutho back at Manly? Sure. He's a local junior and he didn't leave because he wanted to go (and as far as I know he hasn't bagged us in the media like a couple of his more illustrious team mates). And I don't think he's done a bad job for the Speels quite frankly. Yes he cops about 90% of the bombs in defence, but seriously look at it for what it is.....Semi is the other winger and no opposition team is going to want to give him the ball if they can help it. Its like us, teams have tested Tom trying to put the kid under pressure, but all know they're better off bombing Taufua. Sure Gutho's a bit on the string bean side and tends to get mauled by the defence, but as he's shown so far he can be evasive, has decent speed and we know he can kick goals.

The kid didn't play junior representative football for NSW and Australia because the selectors felt sorry for him, he does have talent. I mean, before Tom came along most of us considered Gutho as a likely long-term replacement for Snake at fullback and at worst a career centre or winger with Manly.

It pains me to watch Parra play well at the best of times.

But more so when local Manly junior Gutherson is playing pretty well and getting better every week.
And we punted him with 2 years left?

And we are stuck with williame and some fat Cowgirls reject playing in the team.

What were TB and Fulton thinking?

It pains me to watch Parra play well at the best of times.

But more so when local Manly junior Gutherson is playing pretty well and getting better every week.
And we punted him with 2 years left?

And we are stuck with williame and some fat Cowgirls reject playing in the team.

What were TB and Fulton thinking?
Do they think?? Or just make automatic decisions.

To be fair you have to fill a roster so it is not as simple as releasing a heap of players as you

1. Need players
2. Have a finite salary cap which means you can only pay so much

Unfortunately the gutho horse has bolted, and as I have said before, what makes you think he would come back to a club which was happy to see him go?

I was under the impression that after Baz told him that he was at best our 4th choice fullback behind Snake, Peta (before he too left) and Tom, and that with the players we had he would likely be playing mostly in NSW Cup at least until any combination of Snake, Killer and Skivy were gone, Gutho was also told that he was free to shop around if he wished to. As he obviously had former Manly team mates now playing for the Speels (plus Arthur's desire to try and steal our winning culture), they snapped him up where to his credit he is at the very least going a long way to cementing a first grade spot.

But I don't think he specifically asked for a release.

All other statements in this thread are nullified by this. I respect that Twenty and the Clown were of the view that the boy was 4th in line and did a noble thing by letting him test the market. He left, no bad blood, and the Dalai Arfur Kent picked him up cheaply.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at least they gave Gutho the option to look around. Respect was shown, but a bad decision was probably made. I'm sure both Twenty and the clown wish they had not let him go.

To be fair you have to fill a roster so it is not as simple as releasing a heap of players as you

1. Need players
2. Have a finite salary cap which means you can only pay so much

Unfortunately the gutho horse has bolted, and as I have said before, what makes you think he would come back to a club which was happy to see him go?

Money. It worked with DCE

All other statements in this thread are nullified by this. I respect that Twenty and the Clown were of the view that the boy was 4th in line and did a noble thing by letting him test the market. He left, no bad blood, and the Dalai Arfur Kent picked him up cheaply.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at least they gave Gutho the option to look around. Respect was shown, but a bad decision was probably made. I'm sure both Twenty and the clown wish they had not let him go.
Twenty...like it. Team him with you know who and you have Foran Twenty.

Perhaps for the retro round we should also make the players adopt the hair-style of the era - "short back and sides" sixties, "long haired layabout" 70s etc. Might make them play more like some of our champion sides of the past.
You could be on to something there. We'd have to stop it before we got to the 80s though.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6