Groom's future is going to the Dogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

1 August 2007

THE opportunity to play halfback in the NRL is behind Aaron Groom's decision to leave Manly at the end of the year.

Groom, considered a highly talented player, signed a two-year deal with the Bulldogs last week.

With Matt Orford secure in the No 7 jumper, Manly coach Des Hasler was never going to consider Groom at half.

The Fijian-born talent, who first signed with Manly to play Harold Matthews as a skinny 14-year-old, was told by Manly that his future at the club would only be at hooker.

``My manager (David Riolo) spoke to Des, and Des said they saw me as a hooker who could play a bit of a halfback,'' the Berowra junior said.

``The Dogs see it the other way around so while I've got a chance to play halfback I'd like to pursue that opportunity and see if I can make it there.

``I wanted to stay with Manly, I love playing here and I'm very comfortable, so I would've been happy just to stay and play through at Manly.

``But compared to what the Bulldogs offered me, Manly's wasn't that good an offer at all.''

Groom and his management gave the Sea Eagles the first and last right to offer him a contract.

Riolo said a number of clubs had expressed interest in his client, including early approaches from the St George Illawarra Dragons.

``In the end it was a two-horse race between Manly and the Bulldogs,'' Riolo said.

``(The Bulldogs offer) was much better (financially), but the money wasn't the deciding factor, he just wants an opportunity at halfback.''

Groom confirmed the money wasn't the issue behind his move.

``It's not so much about how much people offer you at my age,'' the 20-year-old said.

``But I see myself as a halfback and I'm just more looking about an opportunity for a pathway into first grade in that position.

``They don't really have a halfback in Premier League, so that's where I'll be going and `Shifty' (Bulldogs halfback Brent Sherwin) is off contract at the end of next year so there is a real opportunity for me there.''

I heard that the dogs offered him $100k per season which is huge money for someone who has not played Fg and whose defence is ordinary.

Nup, I'm with Groomy on this one.
He's a halfback, that's it.

Ahead of him at half is Orford (getting old) & Halden (he's probably got him covered). I don't see why he would not have a future at Manly in the #7.

At hooker there's Matt Ballin who'll be there for years & L'Estrange who'll get the PL job straight up for sure.

I can see why he left.

Manly, you duds.

Pragmatics Duff. You can't keep everyone and keep everyone happy. Glad that the article fixed up some misconceptions.

We must prioritise our talented juniors though.

I always had hopes that Lyon / Groom, or Groom / Burns would be our very long term future in the 1/2's.

Oh well.

IMO.. Orford is past his best.. he wont somehow get better..

I think Monaghan and Burns had potential to lift even another notch from their current season... and could have been the future at the ages of 26 and 22. respectively, yet we didnt sign them up.. and i figured.. wow this Groom kid must be highly rated.. only to let him go too.

For who? an overated (seems like the signings we like to make these days ie Lyon, Orford) prop in Perry and a couple of fringe players and resigning Hall.

Imo we have good depth in forwards with Afamasaga etc.. Perry was not needed.. so whos going to take over Orford in a year or so... hes on the decline already.. its not a good move for the future.. and i cannot see the direction.. i guess we buy the latest hot property on the market when Orford goes.. probably going to be Groom on 500k....

A player never leaves a club for the better money on offer elsewhere it seems. :roll:

I think Monaghan and Burns had potential to lift even another notch from their current season... and could have been the future at the ages of 26 and 22. respectively, yet we didnt sign them up.. and i figured.. wow this Groom kid must be highly rated.. only to let him go too.

For who? an overated (seems like the signings we like to make these days ie Lyon, Orford) prop in Perry and a couple of fringe players and resigning Hall.

Imo we have good depth in forwards with Afamasaga etc.. Perry was not needed.. so whos going to take over Orford in a year or so... hes on the decline already.. its not a good move for the future.. and i cannot see the direction.. i guess we buy the latest hot property on the market when Orford goes.. probably going to be Groom on 500k....

I cant complain with recruitment, we have been improving every year for the last 3 years, the recruitment and retention committee are doing a damn fine job as far as I am concerned.

When a team is successful as we are you will lose some decent players, it cant be helped.

if they see him as a hooker they are kidding themselves. He is very very average in that position.

Orford is only 29 this season, and i dont see a reason why we can't get another decent couple of years out of him. Monaghan is 27, so if 29 isn't going to be the future, how is 27 going to be so much better ?

Lyon is 25, Burns is 22, Lyon has him covered by miles in natural ability. I would take Lyon any day.

Ballin is about 23, not bad for the future there either

I never really get the thing about buying him back for 500k, if he was that good, we would have to pay it anyway. I have only seen this guy a couple of times, and he looks ok, but blokes who are going to be the next superstars, as Groom is made out to be, have normally had a taste of NRL at 20, and if not there are firmly planted in PL. Groom has neither of those yet. For all anyone knows he may be the next Luke Dorn. I am not concerned we didn;t throw big money at an unproven player

most that have the big wraps on him have watched him for a while in the junior grades and saw talent like ballin or cuthbo, if not more imo

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4