Great sporting anthems

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Cliffy said:
Something about the old time Manly Warringah Manly Warringah song with the Watzing Matilda tune that still says 'the football anfem' to me. Who cares if we no longer march to the cricket ground or if it is out of fashion. It sounds like a football club anthem, says Manly Warringah and not just manly what is not to love. Wish we kept to tradition like the AFL keep to tradition with club songs, and hell what catchy numbers do we have in league recently ? All the words in the queensland number yippi ie ie yippi yippi ey ha ha.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfhjqWLjGVo>

I agree about the old anthem, if they modernised it a bit and jazzed it up. it would have been a winner.

Moondog said:
Fanfare For The Common Man by Emerson Lake and Palmer is good too.

I think Ch 7 used it as the lead in to the Hardie Ferodo 500/1000 telecast donkeys ago....when I was a kid. I never knew the name of the song at the time but whenever I hear it, it reminds of getting up early to watch Bathurst with my brothers.

StuBoot said:
Moondog said:
Fanfare For The Common Man by Emerson Lake and Palmer is good too.

I think Ch 7 used it as the lead in to the Hardie Ferodo 500/1000 telecast donkeys ago....when I was a kid. I never knew the name of the song at the time but whenever I hear it, it reminds of getting up early to watch Bathurst with my brothers.

When I was a kid, Seven's sunday morning sports program Sportsworld, hosted by Rex Mossop, had "Theme from Shaft" as it's intro.

It was a great mood-setter.

There are still some arguments but it does seem that Liverpool did sing it first but here is a few quotes about YNWA.

"There is a dispute between Celtic and Liverpool as to who first adopted the Gerry Marsden classic, but for some reason the singing of it at Parkhead now eclipses that at Anfield."
Alan Green (Radio 5 Commentator) writing in the Belfast Telegraph Nov 2012

"If this hymn is adored by "Scousers" of Liverpool, at Celtic Park in Glasgow they have a cappella version which is better.....the eyes of Celtic fans go red with emotion."
Respected French Football magazine 'So Foot' 2 Mar 2014
The Mcg version was pretty amazing too though

I always find it funny how Dundee United sing the old 70s John Paul Young song, Love is in the air.

There are lots of weird and wonderful songs that teams adopt.

Last edited:
Being a wrestling fan I could name a few used for entrance music (such as "The Game" by Motörhead), but I won't embarrass myself there. And I won't mention the more corny ones such as "Real American" (Hulk Hogan) or Shawn Michaels singing about himself being a sexy boy and a boy toy :confused:.

I think Queen's "We are the Champions" gets overused, as does other songs like "Eye of the Tiger" and "What a Feeling" from Flashdance. And don't even get me started on "The Final Countdown".

One I always have loved was the ABC's "Winners" music. For those who don't know they used to play it during the intro to their motor racing telecasts as well as for some other sports.

Didn't think the doggies cheer squad would go this far for Josh and Brett...

Which one of them is on the wing?

I dunno.

But lots of toilet paper waving for number 2s

Being a wrestling fan I could name a few used for entrance music (such as "The Game" by Motörhead), but I won't embarrass myself there. And I won't mention the more corny ones such as "Real American" (Hulk Hogan) or Shawn Michaels singing about himself being a sexy boy and a boy toy :confused:.

I think Queen's "We are the Champions" gets overused, as does other songs like "Eye of the Tiger" and "What a Feeling" from Flashdance. And don't even get me started on "The Final Countdown".

One I always have loved was the ABC's "Winners" music. For those who don't know they used to play it during the intro to their motor racing telecasts as well as for some other sports.
Holden i'm a wrestling fan but nothing beats the NWO entrance from the old WCW.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4