Great Effort - Unlucky result

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Not out to make a goody two shoes thread but a little suprised theres so much negative energy after such a gritty performance.....
Sure - you win or lose- I get it- but there is more importance about how you get the result.
For instance the opening game against Eels made me sick in the guts but last night - they ALL had a dig which is all we can really ask for.
Keep in mind we have several key injuries & competed with the form team in the NRL , more than matching them & only beaten in their last play of the game.
I do confess that when your down, its easy to snatch a loss from the jaws of victory & I felt uncomfortable even though the Cows started their last set 95m from the Manly line with nothing to lose.
Did Foran make the wrong call?? Maybe in hindsight, but if he scores everyone would be praising him & if Manly had put in a kick making them start a set from 5m out most would be happy - a repeat set would have been the perfect outcome, but trapped 5m is a close 3rd behing points or a repeat set.
So many positives to focus on like the Turbo's, some good efforts from Horo, Snake Stewart as always a gun & even Hasson....played better than I have seen....ever.
To be fair another loss hurts - & that was a cruel loss - but dont let emotion take over the fact it was a top effort & the boys had a solid dig.

Yeah I think on game night there's a lot of achohol fuelled emotions, only because you can't watch them sober. Everyone's so passionate about the club we want nothing more than to succeed and soar again. No fan of another club has had the opportunity and joy of success than we have had for a long time. GO MANLY.

Not out to make a goody two shoes thread but a little suprised theres so much negative energy after such a gritty performance.....
Sure - you win or lose- I get it- but there is more importance about how you get the result.
For instance the opening game against Eels made me sick in the guts but last night - they ALL had a dig which is all we can really ask for.
Keep in mind we have several key injuries & competed with the form team in the NRL , more than matching them & only beaten in their last play of the game.
I do confess that when your down, its easy to snatch a loss from the jaws of victory & I felt uncomfortable even though the Cows started their last set 95m from the Manly line with nothing to lose.
Did Foran make the wrong call?? Maybe in hindsight, but if he scores everyone would be praising him & if Manly had put in a kick making them start a set from 5m out most would be happy - a repeat set would have been the perfect outcome, but trapped 5m is a close 3rd behing points or a repeat set.
So many positives to focus on like the Turbo's, some good efforts from Horo, Snake Stewart as always a gun & even Hasson....played better than I have seen....ever.
To be fair another loss hurts - & that was a cruel loss - but dont let emotion take over the fact it was a top effort & the boys had a solid dig.

great post - agree completely. some real positives, especially the turbos - as long as they are in the team in the future we will be competitive regardless of who is coach! They all tried really hard, especially in defense lots of second efforts and desperation. Foz took the wrong option several times, but he is coming back from not playing so understandable.
A strange night, matt scott gets a double, JT kicks it out on the full twice and a length o f the field intercept that drops the ball over the line! a game of ifs too IF we had of got that 40/20 from killer, IF foran had of bombed, IF Tom T didn't drop the ball over the line etc etc so many IFs - the effort was there though, against massive pack the forwards worked hard.

We just lack spark across the park and find it hard to score at the moment. The most exciting and threatening players are 18 and 19 years old! Matt ballin seemed to be overreaching too, think hodges deserves more playing time.
Those two tackles form Jake were awesome and that try from Tom was very special - both are destined for greatness.

The performance last night was light years ahead of the surrender that we saw in round 1 against a team that we should always be fired up to beat. In all the adversity that we have seen has brought in some new blood that will take us forward and make us stronger again

In the game thread earlier in the week I posted Manly by 68. In truth I thought the cows could possibly put that much on us.
Manly played a gutsy game last night.
Yes. we're sitting dead last on the ladder currently.
But I'm proud of the effort last night.

As a Manly fan I was proud of their effort last night and more disappointed in the loss for them after turning up the way they did. Sure a couple of things could have been done better but we have been up against it and last night shows they are trying to fight there way back.

There are some great positives though by the performances from some players as we have mentioned ! Would love to see a full team on the park for a few weeks so we can Really judge where the team is at.

Gutted after the loss but not disappointed at all by the effort shown. They have some
Big boys to and I thought in defence we more than stood up for the majority

Our defence is OK and the players are really trying. That's the positive.
The negative is that our attack is probably the most impotent in the league. I blame this on 1. Our senior backs are all too slow now; age has caught up with Lyon and Matai, and Hiku was never a speedster. The same goes for our hooker. 2. We have been without our most attacking players - Lawrence, Mateo, DCE (all through injury) and Hodges (through stupid selection).
We've lost three games on goal kicks. Simply, we need to concentrate on scoring tries. When Cherry is absent there is very few who can spark us. Our attack in the second half last night relied on Bombing to Turbo's wing, which shows we don't have the players to beat men or put others through gaps. For this reason we must have Hodges and Mateo in the team, and pray that Lawrence returns soon.

I tipped us but my head said we would get smashed. On that effort the 8 is still a possibility.

I'm proud of the boys. Let's back it up next week.

Last edited:
I just watched the match and the 2nd half effort against the Cowgirls says it all of our 2015 season.

We were not unlucky to lose that game.

We had enough ball in the 2nd half to win 3 games.

Our inability to score points on the back of possession is poor, probably the worse in the NRL.

Our kicking game and last tackle options are the worst in the NRL. Why the fark Foran could not have rolled the ball into the cowgirls in field from 5m out is beyond me. Thurston would have ensured there were 6 more tackles.

In the last 10 minutes, every time the Cowgirls got the ball they looked like scoring.

Frankly we should have been up by 8-14 points where the last try should not have mattered.

Play like that next week against the Bronc's and we will get hammered as the Cowgirls were not very good last night.

I'll cop a loss anytime. Want I can't cop is some performances where we just seem to give up or not put on the effort. Last night against a team that is playing quality football the boys put in a top performance. Sure the cows were s bit off their game, but that was due in part to our pressure in defence. After the opening try I was really worried, the cows were rolling over the top of us and I though a huge score line was in the offing. The boys stood up proudly.

I'll always cops a loss like last night, the effort was sensational. And we looked dangerous with the ball. Sometimes the result just doesn't fall your way.

as painfull as it is to admit it but gasnier made a good point after the game.
he said (god it hurts to agree with him) if cherry played we would have won.
simple as that.
just a few little things different(or a class half)& we would have been talking about a great win instead of wondering what if.

Totally outclassed at the start and end of the match. In between we were real competitive. Given our injury situation, an encouraging effort.

Was my first live game in a long time.To let them run 100m at the end vwasnt good but we were totatlly buggered. was a massive gale behind us in the 2nd haf so Foran did the right thing by taking it to the line instead of grubbering.

Was there no traveling supporters tour? I was fully expecting to see Manly colours flying proudly, but saw none. Kudos to everyone wearing Manly jerseys amongst all the feral NQ support

if cherry played we would have won.
simple as that.
j
If we'd had Hodges playing we would have won. Apart from his attacking flair, he would have added to energy levels at the end of the match, when needed. And probably the huge gap that the Cowboy found from dummy half on his 79th minute winning bust would have been plugged.

If we'd had Buhrer we would have won for the same reasons as above.

If we'd had starling we would have won as he would have stopped the Scott try, much better defender than Sao

If we'd had BJ we would have won, as above

IF we'd had Mateo and he was on we would have won, offers much more in attack and when your halfback is out you need as much help as you can get.

Same can be said for last week, 2 that got away

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4