Grateful Bani back on wing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Grateful Bani back on wing

John Greco
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/06/28/10832_sports.html

28 June 2008
banibk.jpg

Michael Bani is grateful to be back on the wing for Manly after a blood clot health scare.
Picture VIRGINIA YOUNG

RETURNING Manly winger Michael Bani has revealed how he feared a dangerous blood clot in his calf could have ended his career.

The Thursday Island-born back admits he feels "very lucky" after a routine check-up two months ago discovered the problem before it became too serious.

Bani tore ankle ligaments in the round prior to Manly's trip to Brisbane in May but was still set to travel with the squad to catch-up with family up north.

But after complaining of continual pain in his leg, Sea Eagles doctor Paul Bloomfield discovered the 10-centimetre clot in Bani's calf that required immediate attention.

Had the 23-year-old flown to Brisbane there was a high risk he could have suffered the potentially fatal deep vein thrombosis.

"I guess I'm very lucky. I'm just grateful to be back playing again," Bani told The Manly Daily ahead of his return for the Sea Eagles in tonight's clash with Newcastle in Gosford.

"It was a pretty scary time ... you never know what could have happened if (Bloomfield) didn't find the clot.

"I did think about (never playing again) and it wasn't something I liked too much."

Bani, who has secured his future at the club for the next three years, said he was shocked when Bloomfield delivered the news.

"I didn't think the injury was that serious," the classy back said.

"It was pretty worrying though. It's still not 100 per cent yet, but it feels pretty good. It's been a long eight weeks so I just want to play."

And Bani, who scored five tries in seven appearances before his injury, will be desperate to make up for lost time against the Knights.

With youngster David Williams proving a revelation on the flank in Bani's absence, coach Des Hasler will have an interesting selection dilemma when Brett Stewart returns from NSW duty next week.

"I think I'll have to do a few more things to put myself in a position where I can keep my spot when everyone is back," an honest Williams said this week.

"Having (Bani) back is obviously a bonus for the team and you want the best people on the park all the time.

"I don't think I've done enough to keep my place ... we'll see how things pan out."

Regardless of who's picked, it's all good news for the Sea Eagles. Kick off at Bluetongue Stadium tonight is 7.30pm.

Hope he has a blinder.

I like David Williams comments, sounds like a good bloke to have around the club, hope he hangs about to replace Robertson eventually.

he is playing well... as the commentators said, Hasler has a nice tough choice. Williams, Bani and Robertson with only two sports. From what i have seen over weeks, Williams and Robertson (runs from the bani lovers)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6