Grant Mayer's Explanation of Venue Change

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter

Following the announcement by the NRL that the Round 10 game between the Sea Eagles and the Brisbane Broncos had been switched to Brookvale Oval, I think it important that the Club offer an explanation as to how and why this came about.

Firstly, let me state that the story is accurate.

As a way of background, Channel 9 and Fox Sports under their broadcasting agreements have the right to choose the preferred games for each weekend. Channel 9 has the first two choices, Fox the third choice (their first) and so on. In the case of this game, we were the first choice of FOX.

The implications of this decision were obvious from the outset and the Brisbane Broncos reacted in the manner they felt appropriate. It is not my place or position to comment on their reaction nor reasons for seeking a change in venue.

Prior to the CEO Meeting on Wednesday morning, I met with NRL and was offered the opportunity to switch the game. Terms were discussed and the NRL were happy to wait 24hrs for our decision.

As you can imagine, there are a lot of people to consider when a situation like this arises. The most important of these people are obviously the team, the fans and the sponsors.

The next part of the puzzle, and perhaps the most difficult, is looking at the ramifications on the draw. Moving this home game from the back end of the season does have us away from Brookvale for 6 weeks. Not ideal, but I would prefer to focus on the positive and aim to get a sell out for the Round 25 against the Dragons.

The other positive is that have 10 home games plus a bye in the first 18 Rounds of the competition. What a great opportunity to establish a strong position on the table.

The other key consideration was the commercial impact on the club and on those fans and sponsors who had booked accommodation and flights in the 24hrs after the original decision.

For the club, it would be fair to say that the commercial terms are exceptionally favourable to the Sea Eagles and the offer does not solely rely on the size of the crowd on the night.

For the fans with bona fide non refundable bookings made prior to the April 5 decision, please contact the club and we will work with you to get the best possible outcome.

In closing, I ask all fans to embrace this change and look forward to our exciting first foray in to Monday Night Football. The first three rounds have been fantastic success for the NRL and really want our fans to show all and sundry, that our fans will continue support their team no matter what day, what venue or what team runs on to the field.

Thank you all for your input to date and please understand that I would never make a decision for the Club that does not strengthen either our financial position and/or our competitiveness on the football field.

Grant Mayer
Chief Executive Officer
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Ltd

So did we get compensation or not?

If not it still looks like we got rorted.

For the club, it would be fair to say that the commercial terms are exceptionally favourable to the Sea Eagles and the offer does not solely rely on the size of the crowd on the night.

That sentence makes me think we did

Perhaps we are revenue swapping.

I notice on the NRL website that the draw has been updated. It says broncos are the home team but its at brookie.

Perhaps we will gain profit from the suncorp game. Which is going to be billed as some anniversary match of the broncos entering the comp.

well its has to be $500,000 or more to be worth it

we are giving up 10K of crowd at least at $25 each is $250,000 then add the sponsors losses from missing out on a big crowd, logisitcs costs and compo for fans etc. We are well over $300,000 already.

Then you would feel the compo for manly being disadvantaged with 6 games away on the trot and giving up 2 competition points most likely as they have to now pay a full strength broncos at home.

Reading that we are now away from Brookvale for 6 weeks, that makes the decision even worse. That is a bloody crucial part of the season to be away from home for that long

The problem stems back to the Leagues reducing their grant by $500k and losing one of our jumper sponsors (Qld Group) means we are down about $700k before the season starts.

As a result the club would be desperate for cash and it appears that we were offered a vert good deal - the club jumped at it for obvious reasons.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4