Grant Atkins abused by AFB

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How can they add another charge?
He was charged with Grade 3 Contrary Conduct wasn't he?
That's the highest I think.

Surely they've had all the evidence and charged him accordingly.
If they haven't all the evidence then why put out the charge?
Does that mean the NRL MRC/judiciary haven't done their due diligence in regards
to the match officials reports and put out the charge anyway?

Why are they so beholden to the media that drives "public outrage"?

As Gal said last night on 100% Footy - why does anyone need to know what he said?
He said it on the field to the match officials, no one in the crowd would have heard it, so
why is it published what he said?

Funny how a few weeks ago when Latrell was crying leaving the field and in the dressing room,
when the media probed and asked they were told that what goes on in the dressing room should stay there. No more follow up but this, we'll keep digging to promote outrage.

Gallen was saying there should be no microphone feed from the field to the TV. That no-one needs to know what is said on the field. Weidler then started saying that the fans have a right to know and it's part of the entertainment.

Then Weidler brought up that the guy that abused Ivan Cleary after the Tigers-Panthers game is actually a journalist. Weidler's description was that he had given Cleary an "almighty spray". So Gould asked Weidler to reveal what he said. Weidler realised he'd sucked himself into a trap and refused to reveal anything further. Despite several digs from Gould and Gallen he refused. Gould closed with a sarcastic "perhaps there should be microphones to record the journalists".

What AFB did is inexcusable and wrong on many levels but it was only caused by the howlers of the video ref maxwell, he gives the correct penalty we are not talking about this event at all.

he has already been convicted unless a new law comes into being i just can’t see how AFB can be further charged from a legal perspective.

But it will happen.

I dare the nrl to have AFB ‘s first home game back from his time away from the game to be Atkins and maxwell in bunker.. would be Juicy.

again how in the world maxwell and even Atkins has gone unpunished from this game beggers belief.

Last edited:
How can they add another charge?
He was charged with Grade 3 Contrary Conduct wasn't he?
That's the highest I think.

Surely they've had all the evidence and charged him accordingly.
If they haven't all the evidence then why put out the charge?
Does that mean the NRL MRC/judiciary haven't done their due diligence in regards
to the match officials reports and put out the charge anyway?

Why are they so beholden to the media that drives "public outrage"?

As Gal said last night on 100% Footy - why does anyone need to know what he said?
He said it on the field to the match officials, no one in the crowd would have heard it, so
why is it published what he said?

Funny how a few weeks ago when Latrell was crying leaving the field and in the dressing room,
when the media probed and asked they were told that what goes on in the dressing room should stay there. No more follow up but this, we'll keep digging to promote outrage.
Exactly. We only know what he said because the media reported it. The same media then says "oh think of the kids" what a bunch of ****!
The match review committee is completely independent to the NRL for this exact reason. Grade 3 is the highest grade he can get without being referred straight to the judiciary. You CANNOT change a grading, this would completely undermine why the MRC is there and independent to the NRL. Yeah maybe Manly should make AFB do some community service work regarding the matter but then again he's already been punished so that should just be the end of it!!!

The MRC will also consider any relevant mitigating or aggravating factors in arriving at their grading of charges. I think the situation was taken in to the grading

Last edited:
Exactly. We only know what he said because the media reported it. The same media then says "oh think of the kids" what a bunch of ****!
The match review committee is completely independent to the NRL for this exact reason. Grade 3 is the highest grade he can get without being referred straight to the judiciary. You CANNOT change a grading, this would completely undermine why the MRC is there and independent to the NRL. Yeah maybe Manly should make AFB do some community service work regarding the matter but then again he's already been punished so that should just be the end of it!!!

The MRC will also consider any relevant mitigating or aggravating factors in arriving at their grading of charges. I think the situation was taken in to the grading
I just saw the DT have questioned having ex-players on the MRC (especially Manly ones apparently). Gutter journalism doesn’t come close to the crap DT are spitting out. Has to be close to slander.

I just saw the DT have questioned having ex-players on the MRC (especially Manly ones apparently). Gutter journalism doesn’t come close to the crap DT are spitting out. Has to be close to slander.
I know 100% my bro is not bias at all when ruling. Thank God he is in there and ruled with some common sense instead of bending over backwards for the politically correct bull****. Again I say the MRC consider any relevant mitigating or aggravating factors in arriving at their grading of charges... I'd say being ripped off by the refs AGAIN is an aggravating factor.

Last edited:
Afb already apologised for his rant(s).. they can't charge him again.. it's just a very very long spray that continued into the tunnel.

Facts are Hadley is a grub, but the fact of the matter AFB has turned himself into the new Hopoate he is and A grade ****wit. These are the facts he belted a pregnant female and got punted from the Illawarra Dragons (people who have done less have been deported) he hassles young Manly female supporters on social media. Stated that players should be paid in full even if season was fully cancelled.
Molan and the clowns made what he considered a racist joke, she immediately apologised yet that wasn't good enough for him he got on instagram and called her a gronk.

Marty Taupau handled it with much more class called her out (on twitter) but with no name calling.
AFB also states that "culturally" no flu shot for him so even if he wasn't suspended he was happy to let us and his team mates down by not going to qld.

He slurs people in the heat of the moment and than rather than gather his thoughts he has another go in the tunnel.

I'll be honest I have supported this club for 40 years but I don't think I have seen two more unlikable players wearing our colours.

I find it hard to cheer for AFB and Walker to be honest in my mind some times being a great player just don't cut it.

By Michael Chammas
July 7, 2020 — 8.14pm

Add to shortlist

The NRL is expected to fine Addin Fonua-Blake between $10,000-$20,000 after the governing body determined the Manly prop had breached the game's anti-vilification code with a foul-mouthed tirade against the match officials on Sunday.

NRL interim chief executive Andrew Abdo will talk with Fonua-Blake on Wednesday before determining the appropriate sanction, which is unlikely to include additional weeks on the sideline on top of his two game ban for calling referee Grant Atkins a f---ing retard in the loss to Newcastle.

The most likely course of action is that Fonua-Blake will be fined an amount between $10,000-$20,000, which will be donated to a charity to assist disabled children, and the prop asked to work alongside children suffering from physical and mental conditions.

"What happened on Sunday was divisive and against the fabric of what we stand for as a game," Abdo said. "There is no place for comments like that in our game. Sport is about bringing people and communities together and we pride ourselves on being an inclusive game for everyone.

"Now that the match review process is complete, I want to speak directly with Addin and the Club about the incidents before determining any penalty.

"This is more than a simple sanction. It’s important there is an education and rehabilitation component to issues like this to ensure players learn from these mistakes and realise the impact of their actions on the community."

Fonua-Blake was forced to issue a second apology on Tuesday night following revelations he had also referred to Atkins as a "spastic" in the tunnel after the controversial loss to Newcastle at Brookvale Oval.

The Sea Eagles organised an in-house club interview with Fonua-Blake on Tuesday afternoon, but the forward insists he didn't understand the meaning of the words "spastic" and "retard" when he used them.

"I do now, but at the time I didn’t," Fonua-Blake said when asked if he knew the meaning of what he was saying.

"Growing up I used the word differently, not knowing what it actually meant. Now that I know what it means, I’m very apologetic. I do not mean any harm or mean to use it in a derogatory type of way to offend anyone.

"If I have offended anyone, I am very sorry. Anyone with a disability, I do not make fun of disabled people. I offer support to anyone that was offended by my more words and hopefully I can make amends for what I said."

The incident report filed after the game accused Fonua-Blake of saying: “Are your eyes f---ing painted on you bunch of spastics”.

Fonua-Blake said he wasn't directing that at the referees. "I remember walking back into the sheds and I forget who was in there already, I was speaking a bit loudly and wasn’t aware the refs were in the tunnels," he said.

"They must have heard me say what I said in the sheds. I didn’t say it directly to their face. It was me venting out loud in the sheds and they happened to hear it."

Fonua-Blake, a father of four, will be sidelined for two matches after pleading guilty to a grade-three contrary conduct charge, but could be sidelined for a further week.

He will likely miss what is scheduled to be his return game against North Queensland in Townsville after refusing to have a flu shot. Players who refused the shot aren't allowed to travel to Queensland. He may also be hit with an additional punishment following revelations of his second outburst.

He apologised to referee Atkins after the game and has since recognised his actions were unacceptable.

"It was very heated in the moment," Fonua-Blake said. "I sort of acted out within a split second, I think back now and I shouldn’t have said what I said. I let my emotions get the best of me. If I could take it back I probably would have. I probably wouldn’t have talked to the ref at all. Not much I could have said would have changed his mind. I just wish I didn’t say what I said.

Add to shortlist

"I don’t teach my kids to tease people, let alone kids with disabilities. There’s nothing funny about that. That takes me back to moving forward and inform them what certain words mean and what words you can and can’t say around people, because the way people take things is different to some others people’s views on the word.

The outrage business is full-time work nowadays.

Just a month ago Addin Fonua-Blake was high in outrage, demanding Erin Molan apologise for what he deemed a racial slight.

Molan, on radio, joked about the difficulty of pronouncing Polynesian names and then doubled down with an example, saying: “Hooka looka mooka hooka fooka”.

She later apologised on Channel 9, saying the comments were “clumsy and inappropriate”.

Already by then, though, Fonua-Blake, who sharpens his arrows on Instagram, had written: “Erin Molan, if you’re not going to apologise for making jokes about islander names at least apologise for ruining the Footy Show. Gronk.”

This can be a pitfall with the outrage business, for gronks and humans alike. There is memory in outrage.

Last Sunday Fonua-Blake called referee Grant Atkins a “f---ing retard” after the video referee — not even Atkins at all — decided against giving Manly a controversial penalty at the end of its game against Newcastle and he exploded in outrage.

Atkins responded to the heavy insult and sent Fonua-Blake off, ordering him to leave the field.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Basketball is back on Foxtel with the NBA and NBL Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

At which point Fonua-Blake told the referee to “f… off” again.

While Manly quickly got it out that Fonua-Blake had approached Atkins in the tunnel to apologise, what remains undetermined is whether it happened before or after he went off again, calling Atkins and his officials a “bunch of spastics” in the tunnel.

Fonua-Blake apologised in a club statement later that night, although not in person.

In some ways it is a difficult passage to navigate.

That he was so insensitive to those living with disability surprises many who know Fonua-Blake more intimately.

This was a conversation held in private on Tuesday, Manly arguing Fonua-Blake was more aware of the repercussions of his comments than most and that his tirade was simply the result of a brain explosion and not any deep-seeded insult directed at the disadvantaged.

This argument makes perfect sense in the footy world.

It is generally accepted, with a wink, that front-rowers are not always the most hinged of people. They survive in a world of violence and aggression. Things get said, things get done and the end generally justifies the means.

It is part of the job requirement. Few like them have the capacity to subject themselves to the continued violence and injury that is required to play the position well, as Fonua-Blake does so extremely well at Manly.

Unfortunately, as a reason for understanding, it should not matter to the NRL. Playing tough does not grant anyone a gold pass.

The comment was not screamed in private but in a game, on television, to be clearly heard by all those watching.

Former Cronulla captain Paul Gallen’s solution was for the referees not to be miked up, saying that removing the mikes would remove the problem.

But that is irrelevant. The NRL, and its players, have accepted the broadcast money, money that includes the microphones.

Meantime, the NRL remained confused on Tuesday night as to how to handle Fonua-Blake.

He got two weeks for abusing Atkins before the NRL realised there was more to it and that the match review committee settled on a ridiculously light charge.

The match review committee is now headed by former Manly winger Michael Robertson and underlines an inherent problem in the code’s desire to have former players in positions of authority, arguing they understand from a player’s perspective.

True, but sometimes they can be as out of touch as the players themselves.

Not only did the match review committee consider Fonua-Blake’s “f…ing retard” comment when penalising him so lightly, it was also aware, and so must have considered, his comments in the tunnel.

That was unforgivable, the moment it went from a brain explosion to bullying.

Fonua-Blake’s abuse was always going to insult a broader community than the refereeing fraternity.

The penalty failed to reflect that, leaving NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo no choice but to send him a show cause notice.

uspended Manly prop Addin Fonua-Blake faces further disciplinary action after NRL acting CEO Andrew Abdo found that he had breached the game's anti-vilification code during separate outbursts on and off the field after Sunday's 14-12 loss to Newcastle.

Fonua-Blake is serving a two-match ban for abusing referee Grant Atkins at full-time but the NRL is considering an additional sanction after it was revealed he made similar derogatory and offensive comments about the match officials in the Brookvale Oval dressing room.

"What happened on Sunday was divisive and against the fabric of what we stand for as a game," Abdo said.

"There is no place for comments like that in our game. Sport is about bringing people and communities together and we pride ourselves on being an inclusive game for everyone."

Fonua-Blake issued a written apology through the club on Sunday night at the urging of his wife and on Tuesday the Sea Eagles released a video in which he admitted "I let my emotions get the best of me".

The Manly forward also confirmed he had continued his tirade in the dressing room but insisted the comments hadn't been directly to Atkins or any other match official.

"I wasn't aware that the refs were in the tunnel and they must have heard me say what I said in the sheds but it wasn't directly at their face, it was me venting out loud in the sheds," Fonua-Blake said.

He said that he later approached Atkins and apologised for his on-field comment after the Sea Eagles were denied a penalty by the Bunker in the final play of the game.

However, Fonua-Blake said he was now aware that he had vilified people with disabilities through the words he used in both incidents.

"Growing up I used the word differently not knowing what it actually meant. Now that I know what it means I am very apologetic. I didn't mean to use it in a derogatory way to offend anyone and if I have offended anyone I am very sorry," he said.

"I do not make fun of any disabled people and I will be working closely with the club over the next few weeks to offer my support to anyone who was offended by my words and hopefully I can make amends for what I said.

"I'd be very upset if I heard one of my kids do that. I don't teach my kids to tease people, let alone people with disabilities. Bullying in any form is not right."

Atkins sent Fonua-Blake off for his on-field comments and charged with grade three contrary conduct by the NRL match review committee.

However, the second incident – contained in Atkins's match report – prompted ARLC chairman Peter V'landys and Abdo to take further action.

"I was appalled that continued on," V'landys told Channel Nine.

"Everybody can make a mistake in the heat of the moment on the field and say something stupid but then you have got time to cool down, so walking off the field and continuing to abuse the referee and to use those terms and names cannot be tolerated under any circumstances.

"Kids with a handicap or who are disadvantaged will be picked on at school because role models are speaking in those terms. Also, no referee should have to put up with that sort of abuse and insult."

Abdo said he wanted to speak directly with Fonua-Blake and the Sea Eagles about the incidents before determining any penalty.

"This is more than a simple sanction," Abdo said. "It's important there is an education and rehabilitation component to issues like this to ensure players learn from these mistakes and realise the impact of their actions on the community."

Abdo reaffirmed the game had a zero-tolerance approach for abuse of match officials.

"Our match officials have the toughest and most scrutinised job in the game. Decisions are always going to have an element of controversy but there is no excuse for abuse of any kind aimed at our officials. It will not be tolerated,'' he said.

"I want to thank and congratulate all our officials who have adapted to significant rule changes this season."

I also agree with Gallen. The media should not be allowed to go back and check what was said and advertise the fact. What AFB said was wrong BUT the media are the ones that advertised what was said and then carry on that little kids are watching. Those things should be kept in house. The media will ruin this game if we are not careful.

Manly Sea Eagles have released exclusive pictures that call into question the official referee’s report of a second verbal attack from star prop Addin Fonua-Blake. SEE THE PICTURES HERE

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

|

July 7, 2020 9:16pm

Close

These are the exclusive pictures which clear Manly’s under-fire prop Addin Fonua-Blake of engaging in a confrontation with referee Grant Atkins after Sunday’s game at Brookvale Oval.

The official referee’s report alleged Fonua-Blake and Atkins clashed in the Lottoland tunnel with the Manly prop saying: “Are your eyes f…ing painted on you bunch of spastics”.

Manly however claim a different version of events unfolded with Fonua-Blake walking directly into the Sea Eagles’ dressing room and Atkins entering the nearby referee’s room later.

The Sea Eagles say Fonua-Blake yelled and vented from inside the dressing room: “Are their eyes f…ing painted on those bunch of spastics.”

While the words are similar and still unsavoury, Manly claim there wasn’t any personal confrontation between Fonua-Blake and Atkins in the tunnel.

And the club has the Brookvale Oval video evidence to prove it. The footage shows Fonua-Blake was about five metres in front of Atkins walking into the sheds.

“Addin takes full responsibility for his actions but it is important to correct the record in terms of what happened in the tunnel and dressing room areas,” said Manly chief executive, Stephen Humphreys.

“There was no aggressive confrontation at all. Addin was venting as he was entering the dressing room and he then moved inside the dressing room.

“At no stage did he direct his comment at match officials.”

In a video interview on Manly’s website, Fonua-Blake said: “I remember walking back into the sheds and I was speaking loudly. I wasn’t aware the refs were in the tunnel and they must have heard me say what I said in the sheds.

“I didn’t say it directly to their faces. It was just me venting out loud n the sheds and they must have heard it.

“I shouldn’t have said what I said but emotions got the better of me. If I could take it back, I would.”

Fonua-Blake’s partner, Ana, said he was “pretty stupid” for what he said

“Growing up I used the word (retard) differently, not knowing what it actually meant. Now that I know what it means and I’m very apologetic. I did not mean any harm and I didn’t mean it in a derogatory type of way to offend

anyone,” he said.

Confronted by an ugly public backlash, a furious NRL will impose beefed-up penalties for any players who abuse referees or vilify people with disabilities or who are autistic.

Fonua-Blake enters the Lottoland tunnel with the match officials roughly five metres behind him.

Fonua-Blake enters the Lottoland tunnel with the match officials roughly five metres behind him.
... before turning into the Manly shed.

... before turning into the Manly shed.
The match officials walk past without confrontation.
1594121717057.png
1594121716904.png
1594121717198.png

The match officials walk past without confrontation.

NRL interim CEO Andrew Abdo has asked his integrity unit to explore whether Fonua-Blake should be hit with a second charge – and a possible further suspension – for his comments about Atkins.

After being told of a second offensive outburst by Fonua-Blake, ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys revealed plans for increased punishment for players.

The “spastic” comment came just moments after Fonua-Blake was sent off after fulltime for calling Atkins a “f…ing retard.”

Manly’s 118kg prop pleaded guilty to a grade three contrary conduct charge for his on-field behaviour and accepted a two-game suspension.

Yet when made aware of Fonua-Blake’s second tirade at Atkins, the NRL immediately began discussing whether the Sea Eagles giant should be charged and punished again.

The integrity unit couldn’t reach a final decision on Tuesday afternoon and will further discuss the drama on Wednesday.

Fonua-Blake was irate that Manly – behind 14-12 - was denied a late penalty which could have levelled the scores against Newcastle last Sunday.

V’landys confirmed a possible second charge against Fonua-Blake was “being reviewed.”

“The rules will definitely change. There will certainly be changes made moving forward from this incident because there is some learning from it. It will be definitely be looked it,” he said.

“There will be harsher penalties for swearing at referee and players who take a particular group in the community and make fun of them. We don’t want people in the community to feel uncomfortable because some players slag down on them.

“As role models, players have to understand there are ramifications to their words and that’s non-negotiable with me.

“Being a role model comes with obligations and they are obligations we take very seriously. You’ve got kids are who handicapped or disadvantaged and these role models are basically promoting them being called names. That doesn’t wash well with me at all.

“Everyone says things in the heat of the moment and thing we don’t actually mean but my concern, for him to continue on, is a serious concern.”

Abdo said Fonua-Blake has breached the game’s Anti-Vilification Code.

“What happened on Sunday was divisive and against the fabric of what we stand for as a game,” he said. “There is no place for comments like that in our game. Sport is about bringing people and communities together and we pride ourselves on being an inclusive game for everyone.

“Now that the match review process is complete, I want to speak directly with Addin and the club about the incidents before determining any penalty.”

Privately Manly claim they didn’t have the required staff - due to the COVID-19 NRL bubble – to ensure Fonua-Blake was escorted from the field and safely into the dressing.

Despite being told by NRL head of football Graham Annesley that his decision on Sunday was wrong, video referee Jared Maxwell has not only retained in first grade but been appointed to adjudicate three games this round.

SO basis the above there should be no extra charges and all the hypocrites like Hadley(of all fuking people ) and the politically correct should STF up ,along with AFB!! .Both he and Fainu should grow up shut up and get off social media and play football for which they are well paid .
I don't condone what AFB said but its clear this is just a pile on lead by the professionally outraged including the likes of fuking Hadley !! ,as if he has a right to say anything.That dickhead has more bullying cases running in court than Peter Fitzsimons has researchers writing his next book.If it wasn't for RL no one would care less about AFB's and Fainu's idotic musings on Instagram.Makes me sick

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4