Got to stop Johns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We really have to beat the Knights, and to do this we have to nullify Joey. Here's how:
1. Run a backrower at him at least once EVERY set of six to tire him out.
2. Have the dummy-half sprint at him to put pressure on his bombs on the 5th.
3. Have Menzies mark him close to the line when he tries his left foot step (usually to the left of the goal-posts) when he tries to duck in and score.

Its times like this I dream for Hoppas elbow. That would put him out of the game, we can beat a newcastle side without johns a man down.

crusher you better get down to Narrabeen and let them know mate

To be honest guys - Johns is great against teams that make errors. He's just ruthless on the counter attack, when the defensive team is on the backburner. For that reason, I say Manly wiull fare better against him than other teams, because we make less errors than any other team in the NRL.

Man I love that stat !!! Now, if we can cut the silly penalties, the skies the limits.

Goes all right against teams that dont make errors too Ryan. Hes not the best in the world for no reason, regardless of the opposition

I don't know where you pulled that little assessment of Joey from. True counter attack in league would be lucky to happen 3 or 4 times a match. Where Johns is dangerous is when he has the ball in his hand.....full stop. However he is particularly good at directing sustained attacks inside the opposition 20. Rush up on him and he'll go himself or put someone into a hole behind the staggered line. Basically we need a solid line in defence and need to work at getting off our line as one and put pressure on his ball runners. He loves hitting Simpson close to the line. His kicking game is so varied that it is difficult to shut down, but Stewy and the wingers need to work hard when they are pressing our line. Good communication is the key. He loves the run right kick back left across the goal posts play. They are bound to score a try or two from his kicks, that's just life. Problem is you also need to keep an eye on Buderus at dummy half.

I'v watched Newcastles last three games and Johns has been good in patches, but they have tended to switch off once they have got to a good lead against Souths and Easts. They fought tough against Cronulla depsite copping some dubious penalties and also spilling a lot of pill inside their own half.

Every coach knows that the secret to shutting down Newcastle is to control Johns, many have tried many have failed. Let's face it he'll have a big influence on the outcome, we just need to concentrate on not giving them more opportunities than they deserve through poor ball control and stupid penalties. If it is a tight game he becomes their only go to man and sometimes he does feel an inkling of pressure, and he can get frustrated that his minions aren't up to his skill level or don't share his vision on some plays.

If we can win this one I'll be more bouyant about our semi final aspirations, if we lose I won't be slitting my wrists unless of course we cop a flogging.

Good analysis C & C. Bottom line is field position and one key to that is ball control and kicking game. We have to turn up to play. Joey can only weave his magic consistently if they get a lot of ball in our territory - so we have to avoid that and have a consistent defensive line.

The way stop Johns is to stop his forwards making metres and offloads.

If Newcastle get any sort of speed going through their attack he will cut us apart.

I would hope that Des uses Menzies and Burns to mark Johns inside and outside.

Brett Stewart and whoever marks up on Carney can expect a few of high balls too I would imagine.

We really have to beat the Knights, and to do this we have to nullify Joey. Here's how:
1. Run a backrower at him at least once EVERY set of six to tire him out.
2. Have the dummy-half sprint at him to put pressure on his bombs on the 5th.
3. Have Menzies mark him close to the line when he tries his left foot step (usually to the left of the goal-posts) when he tries to duck in and score.

LOL yes he could have an impact! :dance:

The reason he has so much time is his reputation makes defenders question what he'll do in attack. Rather than just going in for the tackle they'll hang off and try to stop a possible cut out pass or turning it back on the inside or the grubber or chip through. Then again he might dummy and go on his own.

Just get up in his face, go for the tackle, not the hang off and guess.

The reason he has so much time is his reputation makes defenders question what he'll do in attack. Rather than just going in for the tackle they'll hang off and try to stop a possible cut out pass or turning it back on the inside or the grubber or chip through. Then again he might dummy and go on his own.

Just get up in his face, go for the tackle, not the hang off and guess.

Somehow I guess that is far easier to say and coach than to actually do. I would think that every team that plays the Knights would be coached to do exactly that, yet more weeks than not he makes quality oppposition look rather inept.

He just makes it look all so easy and always appears to have so much time to do what he does. Lets face it he is a champion player, argueably the greatest of all time, he will do stuff to us on Friday night which will hurt us.

I don't pretend to know the answer to keeping him quite on the field (I have thoughts of knuckledusters & possibly even a small calibre weapon but even in feral Newcastle they may be illegal).

Johns will do what he always does. I am only hoping that it will be a little less than what Newcastle need from him to win. Otherwise it will be a cold & lonely drive home on Friday night.

I vote for King to coathanger him after 5 minutes. We will benefit from not having Johns to torment us AND by nothaving King on the field any longer.

Talk about win-win.

I don't know where you pulled that little assessment of Joey from. True counter attack in league would be lucky to happen 3 or 4 times a match. Where Johns is dangerous is when he has the ball in his hand.....full stop. However he is particularly good at directing sustained attacks inside the opposition 20. Rush up on him and he'll go himself or put someone into a hole behind the staggered line. Basically we need a solid line in defence and need to work at getting off our line as one and put pressure on his ball runners. He loves hitting Simpson close to the line. His kicking game is so varied that it is difficult to shut down, but Stewy and the wingers need to work hard when they are pressing our line. Good communication is the key. He loves the run right kick back left across the goal posts play. They are bound to score a try or two from his kicks, that's just life. Problem is you also need to keep an eye on Buderus at dummy half.

I'v watched Newcastles last three games and Johns has been good in patches, but they have tended to switch off once they have got to a good lead against Souths and Easts. They fought tough against Cronulla depsite copping some dubious penalties and also spilling a lot of pill inside their own half.

Every coach knows that the secret to shutting down Newcastle is to control Johns, many have tried many have failed. Let's face it he'll have a big influence on the outcome, we just need to concentrate on not giving them more opportunities than they deserve through poor ball control and stupid penalties. If it is a tight game he becomes their only go to man and sometimes he does feel an inkling of pressure, and he can get frustrated that his minions aren't up to his skill level or don't share his vision on some plays.

If we can win this one I'll be more bouyant about our semi final aspirations, if we lose I won't be slitting my wrists unless of course we cop a flogging.

Mate - very valid points, and noted.
That said, the same can be said as you have written above for Johns, as for our Matt Orford. We don't give him the credit he deserves in my opinion. If all the play revolves around John's, watch Orford cut them to pieces.

Number 1 1/2 back in the world versus number 2 in my opinion.

I vote for King to coathanger him after 5 minutes. We will benefit from not having Johns to torment us AND by nothaving King on the field any longer.

Talk about win-win.

Lets go for a win-win-win and have Dunley be joint Coathanger-er. This will give Ballin that well deserved opportunity. :dance:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4