GOOD BYE souths

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Don't sell our club

By JAMES HOOPER

February 03, 2006

SOUTH Sydney legends last night formed a united push to dump the controversial $3 million bid by Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe to buy the Rabbitohs.

In a move spearheaded by Souths saviour George Piggins, a cast of red and green greats and life members have signed a petition demanding the football club board call an extraordinary general meeting.

The extreme move has the support of retired stars John Sattler, Bob McCarthy and Ron Coote and is designed to quash the Holmes a Court takeover bid before the board can even vote on it.

"We didn't march down George St to be taken over by two people who should be private sponsors - not the owners of South Sydney football club," Piggins said.

Sport belongs to the people. Our football club has always belonged to the members and in the eyes of all these players from the Rabbitohs' greatest era, this is not the best thing for South Sydney football club."

Having learned of the resistance by the Rabbitohs icons, Holmes a Court's legal team Middletons put the multi-million-dollar bid on hold yesterday.

Middletons lawyer partner David Morris said in light of a push by Piggins to topple the football club board, the privatisation proposal was on hold. In a whirlwind day for the Rabbitohs, chairman Nicholas Pappas cancelled a South Sydney board meeting scheduled last night as plans were made for a meeting with Holmes a Court today.

"It's disappointing there's been uninformed and premature comment about the proposal from sections of our supporters and stakeholders who really have little grasp of the proposal," Pappas said. "The reason I say uninformed is because the proposal hasn't even been made public yet."

The Rabbitohs icons are leading a push for the club to remain in the hands of members, as it has since 1908, and return to Redfern Oval.

Souths legends Sattler, McCarthy and Coote last night said they were supporting Piggins, including a bid by former Souths Juniors boss Henry Morris to oust chairman Pappas.

"I'm simply supporting George. He's a great Souths stalwart and I signed (the petition) for him," Coote said.

McCarthy added: "I don't believe in two people owning the club. I am supporting George 100 per cent."

To call an extraordinary general meeting the Rabbitohs must give members three weeks' notice.

Souths' AGM meeting is due in March but with an extraordinary general meeting it may be delayed further.

Holmes a Court's legal team yesterday claimed Piggins' comments in the past 24 hours in relation to the leadership of the South Sydney board had forced their proposal onto hold .

Holmes a Court and Pappas will meet this morning before Holmes a Court holds another press conference.

cant see them lasting without thhere money, they should take a leaf out of manlys book

I admire george for his loyalty and devotion to a cause but at the end of the day Souths have been stuffed financially for many years which co-incide with his term as presdient of the football club and leagues club.

It is time for him to face reality and let someone pump money into souths so that they can be a force again.

I know we've had some harsh things to say about Delmege but at least he puts his money where his mouth is.

Piggins is doing a fine job of loving his club to death.

I admire Piggins as well but Russell Crowe is right. If he is going to keep on injecting money into the club then he should have a say in how it is run. Remember, he is not a normal business sponsor who is trying to get exposuure for his business. He gives them that money cause he loves the club and wants to see them do well. Unfortunately i think Piggins and his so called legend mates must like doing it tough and trying to win a comp with a premier league team.

It will never happen George. Take the money.

What's better - having your club not privately owned but without money and facing extinction? Or having it privately owned but having money and possible future success? I know which one I'd rather have.....

In all my days, ive never seen any organisation or business that thrives so much on controversy and melodramatics.

I have no time for Piggins whatsoever. Can someone be so blind as to not see the harm they are doing?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4