Golden point could be axed in NRL extra-time revamp

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
SPEAKING OF CRYPTOLOGY....

I've had a damn code under my avatar for about 3 years now, and not one of you lot have neither seen it nor tried to solve it!

I can't bloody well believe it.

SHAME

That's right, I'm yelling again.
Thought you just fell onto your keyboard :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Yup golden point maybe saved for finals when u need a clear winner. Last 5 mins in normal time still exciting when scores are locked. I think it’s cruel when golden point loser atm walks away with absolutely nothing .

IMO, if two teams are level after 80 minutes play, both should be rewarded with a point. Drawn games can be quite exciting, esp. when a team draws level in the last minute of play. Never agreed with golden point during competition rounds - only useful in finals games to break deadlocks - even then, golden try would be preferable.

I've had a damn code under my avatar for about 3 years now, and not one of you lot have neither seen it nor tried to solve it!

SHAME

They any global sight?

There’s more than 10 golden point games a year isn’t there? Don’t know the stats but it seems like there is. Wasn’t there like 4 in one round earlier on and two this weekend just been.

A quick google search has revealed -

2016 - 15 ( the most of any season )
2017 - 10
2018 - 4
2019 - 10 (so far )

There has been around 130 matches going to golden point since it was introduced in 2003 so on average less than 8 a season including semis and GF's
Hardly a compelling stat to change something.

As for Annesley's comment about Parra not touching the ball in golden point - if they defended better the Bronc's wouldn't have got close enough to have a crack at field goal and they went close to scoring a try anyway.
Would he make that same comment if they had scored a try without Parra touching the ball?

I like extra time.

and just to be different I'd like to see the number of competition points changed to

4 points for a win

1 point each for a draw at end of 80 minutes

2 points for winner of extra time . If no winner another point each.

Maybe it should be 5 minutes each way and NOT Golden Point - in regular season games??? just random thoughts

In my role of official old fart ..... piss it off ... never liked the stupid nonsense ..... a draw is a draw .... one point each ..
Yeah, but television loves it.
Because of the TV dollar, we now let them decide how we finish a game, how the NRL draw should made, the time the GF is played, and pretty soon how many teams we have, and where and who they are.
So the NRL has sold its soul for the TV dollar but has absolutely SFA to show for it, what have they done with these extra millions?

Personally, I’m not a fan of Golden Point, I’d much rather a draw if the teams are even after the regulation 80 minutes in the regular season.

For the finals series, I’d prefer a set time each way with no Golden Point or Golden Try, just who’s scored the most points in10 minutes each way, with extra interchange.

Still a draw, 5 extra each way with extra or unlimited interchanges; just get fresher players out the to encourage attacking open play.

If there’s still a draw, then a count back, i.e. who scored the first try in extra time or first points in extra time.

If no team has scored in extra time then, who scored the first try in regular time or if there’s been no tries, then first penalty goal, if no penalty goals, first points of any kind.

I’m pretty sure there’d be a winner, however, if there’s still no result, best for and against in the regular season goes on or wins the Premiership.

Some would say that’s unfair but I think the best or better attacking/ defensive team should be deemed the most worthy to continue on or win the Premiership.

Just my 2 bob’s worth.

In today's politically correct environment I wouldn't be surprised if Golden Point was replaced by a penalty count. If you have conceded more penalties then you must be bad boys, so no points for you!
Not so far fetched.
The Cricket World Cup was decided by the number of boundaries hit!

In today's politically correct environment I wouldn't be surprised if Golden Point was replaced by a penalty count. If you have conceded more penalties then you must be bad boys, so no points for you!
Not so far fetched.
Never, as kicking out on the full is a penalty and it doesn't have anything to do with behaviour @:cool:

A draw is fine and just decide the GF in extra time if that eventuates :nerd:

SHAME

Not true ... about 12 months ago I copied it and googled it ... was going to comment ... but from memory got distracted by fighting with some numbnut or other ....

I’m pretty sure there’d be a winner, however, if there’s still no result, best for and against in the regular season goes on or wins the Premiership.

Some would say that’s unfair but I think the best or better attacking/ defensive team should be deemed the most worthy to continue on or win the Premiership.

I like all the rest except for this part.

This would not be fair in today's comp as the teams don't play eachother twice.The draw is not equal and some teams get an easier run.

Edit: I intensely dislike golden point and to a lesser extent extra time at all.

Last edited:
Not so far fetched.
What happens if the refs even up the penalty count

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8