Gold Coast potential new signing

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Jonah Lomu

Is hopping on a plane with his manager tonight to head into talks with the Gold Coast tomorrow, and are rumours he will go through a tough medical too

Would be huge publicity for the Titans and would be good for the game, could be handy in the forwards too

I was wondering when this would happen.

Great for marketing but I don't think he'll be too much use on the field. great attacking talent at his best but his best is sadly far behind him.

Can't tackle.

Jonah is well past his best and he said that he is making the move so that he can try and be a dual international.

Unfotunately even with one kidney and 5 years past his peak he will probably still make the kiwi league team.

They will sign Lotti as well. Seems there are no salary cap constraints Nth of the border...

He could do a big job in the forwards i reckon. Still has size and some pace and will be hard to bring down, has some offloading skill as well.

Would love to see him give it a go and see what he can make of it.

Shame his illness robbed us all of seeing him reach his peak

Lomu in the forwards? He couldn't handle a weed like Ben Tune on the fringes of a Union field, how the hell is he going to go when he's asked to toghten up the ruck in centre field of the league paddock?

They'll murder him!

I agree with Mata - he'd be roadkill in the forwards - it's not like standing out on the wing in Union - he would have to work constantly in the ruck. I think his best bet is to lose a ton of weight and play wing.

Even on the wing he would be VERY vulnerable. He takes more time to turn and chase than the Titanic and he can't get airborne so a good kicker would just pick him off all day long.

Lomu only works in Union where he only sees action 2-3 times a game and can use his explosiveness to good effect. In league he'd be nothing more than cheap publicity.

It would be great to see , but league is dfferent to Union in so many ways. One thing is there is more room to move on a league field and the quick mobile backs will run rings around him.
His fitness would need to improve a great deal. This is prob just a publicity thing .

He is looking pretty fit on the TV

Doesnt look fat, even coming in at 128kg, and is running the 100 in under 12 apparently

Well Kiwi,
If thats true , that will do me. I would love to see him run around . It would be for 2008 , no? So an extra year to get fitter.
What is he doing now? Throw him a few local games in NZ , to get a feel of the game , plus his size and fitness , who knows , throw him in the centres????

He is looking pretty fit on the TV

Doesnt look fat, even coming in at 128kg, and is running the 100 in under 12 apparently

I coud think of quite a few wingers who would **** themselves at the sight of 128 kg running at them at speed. His past reputation would also make him seem harder to tackle.

I would love to see him in the NRL and his presence at a game would bring in a few thousand extra spectators to every game just to see him in action.

At is peak he was an absolute machne and quite awsome to see him close up as he is really huge. A really nice guy though when he signed his book for my sons when he was at the mall a couple of years ago.

Apparently the GC will offer hin something today

128 may sound like a lot, but he is a huge man, and for any of you that saw him in action during the 95 WC, he was 118kg then

The plans are for next season as far as i can gather now. Best of luck to him if it comes off. he has been playing a bit of rugby lately, and the league is finished over here, so if they get him i presume he would start with whatever are the feeder teams

Not saying he will be a success, but i wish him well, and it cant be bad for the game either. he is a terrific bloke and has been through a hell of a lot

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2