Goalkicker?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
OK, We lost again but our biggest problem is the goal kicking. Maybe it's time to give Jamie Lyon a go. Orford hasn't got a long kick and his confidence is shot.

His kick was long enough on the one he nailed from the sideline, he just has direction problems at the mo, not striking them that cleanly at all

goalkicking didnt lose us that game. The factors that cost us were
arogance over the last month
wouldnt or couldnt stop the offload
dumb footy (lestrange over the sideline on the second)
a lack of understanding that we have to work with dual refs, not vice versa
and a **** preperation that put more emphasis on the wcc than the first month of the comp

many parts make up the sum, but it too believe goal kicking could be an issue, I would have throught matai should be taking them, what do the stats say tho?

orford has too much on his shoulders

matai is a better goal kicker, he strikes it so much more sweetly than ox.
Also Ox is kicking too much in general play, in the finals last year we were better when the kicks were being shared between orford and lyon.

We have more options this year with baliey.

Now that I think about it, I read a column last season from Matthew Ridge talking about the Kiwis side, and he said Matai should have been kicking for the Kiwis because he looked a natural

Lyon would be the one that would hold the most confidence for me though

Matais strike is the nicest in our team and both him and lyon look a better kicker than orford.

I have no idea why we persist with Orford on the goal kicks, even kick offs, a few struggled to cross the 20m line. Give the job to someone else and let orford work on what he is good at.

the goalkicking situation wìth Ox is unaccetable in my opinion. how can you say it didn't lose us the game? They kicked 3 and we kicked 2. Lyon, or at least Matai must kick instead.

It wasnt our only problem, but Orford is not our best kicker, but he is the best option his legs may not be as tired as others

Orford is not a sideline goal kicker. His little legs are just not good enough.  He's alright if he is near the posts but if they are near the sideline then someone else needs to step up to the plate.

the thing is tired legs make lazy kicks.

Still I think Lyon is a better kicker, though he doesnt look like he likes the responsibility. Matai would probably take it up but he is probably less consistent that Orford.

I wish Lyon would take over though

Dan link said:

Still I think Lyon is a better kicker, though he doesnt look like he likes the responsibility. Matai would probably take it up but he is probably less consistent that Orford.

I'll have a chat to him too Dan. There's a lot of guys in this team that I have to sort out.

Dan link said:

True, orford consistenly falls short and hooks kicks but at least with matai he is as accurate as a back up kicker, give him the duties and he could well be an 80%+ kicker

Fluffy link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=179777.msg214731#msg214731 date=1237718497]

True, orford consistenly falls short and hooks kicks but at least with matai he is as accurate as a back up kicker, give him the duties and he could well be an 80%+ kicker
[/quote]

A player like  Matai could do without the extra pressure on his game and without the extra to think about with kicking!

Imagine how many brain explosions he would have with kicking and missed kicks on his mind

Lyon has not been kicking for goal much since he injured his knee last year. Perhaps knee still a worry for him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8