Goal Kicking

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
I heard an interesting stat last night on the radio that Lyon only kicked something like 11 from 30 goal kicks from the sideline in 2011. I always thought Lyon was a very reliable goal kicker so this is a big surprise.

I know Lyon's goal kicking wasn't the reason Manly lost last night but he did miss two crucial kicks which if made could have won Manly the game.

Should Manly be looking at replacing Lyon as goal kicker or is he the best they have? Could someone else take the goal kicks from the sideline? T-Rex, Matai and DCE have all shown they can kick goals. Plus I think David Williams can also kick.

T-Rex apparently was a good goal kicker in the Queensland cup. Matai was great a few seasons ago with his longer kicks. DCE had some shockers in his debut last year but maybe he's worth another shot.

Kicking from the sideline in the rain is bloody hard!! I think we have the right man for the job.

T-Rex was not a good goal kicker in the Queensland cup!

He missed several from the sideline during the final and the only ones he did kick were right in front. Trust me I was there, and his kicking was below average at best.

It is a complete and utter myth that he can kick and I wish people would stop saying it, he played only a handful of games for Sunny Coast and kicked in the grand final only!

As for Lyon, I think he is the best kicker we have, unless we want DCE to try again

Lyon is head and shoulders above the next best, who by the way is a toss up between DCE and Matai.

11 from 30 is excellent from the sideline. Last night it was very wet.

Lyon's goal kicking had nothing to do with the result.

End of subject.

Success rate is 77% from memory. Hardly bad. And better than Orford ever was.

Leave Lyon alone.:(

Killer is definately our no1 kicker. That field goal before htime killed us. After his first conversion hit the post from the sideline, he rushed the next couple cause we had to score 3 tries. Don't forget DCE missed a couple from the sideline last year that cost us games as well.

I wondered why we even bothered taking the last conversion and would have preferred to se the time taken to get over the line and score another try.

Can't you say to the ref I don't want the conversion and go back to recieve the ball?

I get a field goal was an option but very negative approach given the Sharkies were shaking.

Killer is a very good goalkicker.. the strike rate from the sideline for most goalkickers would be around 50% only i would assume anyway.. And going on last nights effort where one came off the post in driving rain is very unlucky and harsh to judge on..
It was only a year ago that El Masri rated Lyon the best goalkicker in the game.

I've long considered him to be the best kicker we have but I noticed last night he had a big hook on his kicks. He's usually very straight so perhaps it had more to do with the weather.

I think he is the best at the club. Weather was crap and one hit the post.

Yes he did kick well on Friday and his goal kicking was a big reason for our win.

In my initial post I was just posing the question after hearing his goal kicking stat on the radio. I wasn't saying that someone else should take the duties. I just thought it could be something worth discussing but I can see that he is the man for the job.

Lyon is our best and most consistant kicker.

I feel Matai has the best style but coaches have seen something i havnt.

What are the other kicker stats for sideline conversions?

Hey Rodo I wasn't picking on your post which made some valid points.

I just wanted to highlight how good Jamie's kicking was under pressure and didn't want to start another thread.

Cheers Bob, thanks. I wasn't actually trying to explain myself to you. Someone else had a dig at me in another thread so I thought I should explain why I posted it in the first place.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7